Thread: Mike Pettine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...81baafb1c.html
    This quote stood out for me:

It sounds like the defense will be fundamentally sound and not be overly complex, but just appear that way. I really like the sound of that, and I hope he pulls it off with the players he has available.
    It's kind of just the opposite of what I saw from the Packers defense this past year. The defense seemed too complex for some of the Packer players to grasp, but it didn't seem to fool the opposition.

n the next few months, Pettine will be evaluating this roster to see what he has and see what it can do. The “cupboard isn’t bare,” Pettine remarked.

“In the NFL, it’s all about the players,” Pettine said. “I’ve always been a big believer in having a system and building your roster that way but you have to work with who you have on campus. You can’t win with players you don’t have.”
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-25-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's kind of just the opposite of what I saw from the Packers defense this past year. The defense seemed too complex for some of the Packer players to grasp, but it didn't seem to fool the opposition.
    Just remember that the phrase MadScientist quoted is the new version of "we want to be aggressive". Everyone wants to do it, few can.

We'll see. For the record, just as Capers had to scale his D back, Pettine and Ryan had to scale back their D in recent years in response to offenses picking up the pace plus going no huddle. Pettine's defenses slipped with the Jets and they mutually parted ways to go to Buffalo.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-26-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.