Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jake Hanson is on the NYJ roster I believe.
    Royce Newman is still on GB's roster - it's his last year of his rookie contract.
    I don't hope Rhyan is gone; I actually hope he makes a leap in his play so he can be reliable in pass protection. He's not there yet. Because of that, I think they need to bring in competition for Rhyan (and Myers, who is also on the last year of his contract) and a swing tackle for depth.

Madison was a mental health situation, his college buddy killed himself.
    Stepaniak was a shame; dude was monstrously strong (37 reps at the combine with a torn ACL) but his knee didn't fully recover so he retired. Both were Day 3 fliers (IIRC Madison was R5, Stepaniak R6).

This year's draft is very deep at OL, I think they can and will draft several players who should be able to either push for time or develop into eventual starters if not quality depth. I think they will address OL before Day 3, but it wouldn't shock me if they took an OL each day of the draft.

Given their preferences for taking high RAS players at "premium" positions and from Power 5 schools, an OT is not out of the question in R1.

I'm hoping the Royce Newman experiment is over after the draft. How he made last years roster is beyond me. He's as useful as a cock flavored lollipop.

Gutey is gonna draft, IMO, at a minimum, 2 O-lineman in this years draft; Most likely a Swiss Army knife interior guy and a swing tackle or someone to compete with Walker. Tom is fine at RT - Let him stay there. Walker could be replaced with a higher draft pick LT and become a swing tackle backup.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Jake Hanson is on the NYJ roster I believe.
    Royce Newman is still on GB's roster - it's his last year of his rookie contract.
    I don't hope Rhyan is gone; I actually hope he makes a leap in his play so he can be reliable in pass protection. He's not there yet. Because of that, I think they need to bring in competition for Rhyan (and Myers, who is also on the last year of his contract) and a swing tackle for depth.

Madison was a mental health situation, his college buddy killed himself.
    Stepaniak was a shame; dude was monstrously strong (37 reps at the combine with a torn ACL) but his knee didn't fully recover so he retired. Both were Day 3 fliers (IIRC Madison was R5, Stepaniak R6).

This year's draft is very deep at OL, I think they can and will draft several players who should be able to either push for time or develop into eventual starters if not quality depth. I think they will address OL before Day 3, but it wouldn't shock me if they took an OL each day of the draft.

Given their preferences for taking high RAS players at "premium" positions and from Power 5 schools, an OT is not out of the question in R1.
    Newman was so bad last year he needs to be replaced. Rhyan hasn't really shown me much to this point and I have no confidence in said jump. My point stands that people are giving Gutes accolades based off Tom and Walker both breaking out last year. He really isn't landing pro bowlers in rounds 3-7. Given the depth of this draft our 1st round pick really should be CB or OT, most likely OT. And honestly I would be thrilled if we took another one at pick 41 (I think is the pick). We have 3 studs. Lock down the other 2 positions and we are set for a decade with probably the best OL in football. The game is won in the trenches. Then with our other 2/3 round picks we can look at other areas of need, while still focusing on BPA. The BPA at 1 will almost certainly be a tackle or CB.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Newman was so bad last year he needs to be replaced. Rhyan hasn't really shown me much to this point and I have no confidence in said jump. My point stands that people are giving Gutes accolades based off Tom and Walker both breaking out last year. He really isn't landing pro bowlers in rounds 3-7. Given the depth of this draft our 1st round pick really should be CB or OT, most likely OT. And honestly I would be thrilled if we took another one at pick 41 (I think is the pick). We have 3 studs. Lock down the other 2 positions and we are set for a decade with probably the best OL in football. The game is won in the trenches. Then with our other 2/3 round picks we can look at other areas of need, while still focusing on BPA. The BPA at 1 will almost certainly be a tackle or CB.
    I don't disagree with you, but I also think that his odds on hitting big are low when you have Jenkins, Myers and Rhyan as the only non-Day 3 picks. The accolades likely come from finding his starting tackles in Day 3 (Tom in R4, Walker in R7) -- that is almost unheard of considering most starting OTs are early picks if not R1 picks. The fact that they got as many starts from a R6 pick like JRJ is pretty good value. Newman looked like he was going to be ok based on his rookie year but has not done well since.

I don't think Gute has been amazing at drafting OL or anything but he's gotten pretty good value from some of his picks. Given the quality at OL in this draft class and their current roster/depth chart, I expect them to lean heavily into that OL draft class with their picks.