Thread: Best Offenses of All Time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Defense has big dip in 1995. That and bad special teams doomed them versus Dallas.
    I don't know if it was the defense that doomed them against Dallas, and the special teams actually performed pretty well in that game. They blocked Jett's first punt to set up the offense deep in Dallas territory. Favre came out throwing the ball ten feet over his receivers's heads, and the Packers weren't able to do anything with it. He had a pass tipped and intercepted deep in GB territory on the next series, so if anything it was the hyperventilating offense that failed to capitalize on what could have been a great start. True, the defense wore down later, but if Favre had not gotten off to his typical skittish start the defense might not have gotten tired. But the real turning point in that game was when that asshole Erik Williams cheap shotted Jurkovich. After that GB lost its composure.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I don't know if it was the defense that doomed them against Dallas, and the special teams actually performed pretty well in that game. They blocked Jett's first punt to set up the offense deep in Dallas territory. Favre came out throwing the ball ten feet over his receivers's heads, and the Packers weren't able to do anything with it. He had a pass tipped and intercepted deep in GB territory on the next series, so if anything it was the hyperventilating offense that failed to capitalize on what could have been a great start. True, the defense wore down later, but if Favre had not gotten off to his typical skittish start the defense might not have gotten tired. But the real turning point in that game was when that asshole Erik Williams cheap shotted Jurkovich. After that GB lost its composure.
    Fair points. I forgot that was the game where Favre decided to play catch with the sidelines.
    Last edited by pbmax; 06-27-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Random points from that 1995 NFCC game:

- Favre threw a TD pass after the punt block that was negated by a bullshit delay of game penalty (Hochuli)
    - Sean Jones dropped an INT deep in Dallas territory with the Packers up by 3 late third quarter.
    - Favre threw his killer INT down by 4 when he had Chmura open for 4 yards or a run for 2 easily available.
    - Not only was Jurko hurt in that game, but Gibert Brown had been injured the week before and was playing at (maybe) 50%. Given how bad their run defense had been in the regular season loss, it was too much to overcome.
    - Favre's 'overthrows' early were grossly magnified by Madden (of course)
    - Dallas had purchased Sanders from the 49ers because they wanted to win another Super Bowl. Dallas had a pretty good defense with Deion at one corner. He also had a long run on offense due to an illegal pick.

That loss was due to a collection of factors, offense and defense.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck