Thread: 2016 Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Here's something I found that's kind of interesting. Granted it's based on a small sample size, (Drafts between 2000 and 2007) and it involves players making the Pro-Bowl which can be bullshit because of players being selected based on name or team recognition.

Average number of Pro Bowl selections per year by round drafted from 2000 - 2007 (8 yrs.)

1st Rd. - 12.5 per year
    2nd Rd. - 5.5 per year
    3rd Rd. - 2.0 per year
    4th Rd. - 2.375 per year
    5th Rd. - 1.625 per year
    6th Rd. - 1.5 per year
    7th Rd. - 0.75 per year

UDFA's - 4.125 per year
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    UDFA's - 4.125 per year = Impressive and surprizing !

I hope the Packer Scouting Dept. is busting it's ass ....scouting.

Not real surprising about the undrafted players. Even with compensatory picks, the 3-7th rounds include an average of less than 40 players each. League wide, there might be 4-500 undrafted players each year that come to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Not real surprising about the undrafted players. Even with compensatory picks, the 3-7th rounds include an average of less than 40 players each. League wide, there might be 4-500 undrafted players each year that come to camp.
    You're right Patler. With the sheer number of UDFA's that are invited to camps some of them are bound to be overlooked during the 7 round draft process and then stick with a team once they put the pads on and have an opportunity to prove that they're real football players. I just think it proves that some players have attributes and intangibles that the evaluators simply can't pin down or they would have been taken during the draft by someone. I also think it shows how inexact the evaluation process is once you get past most of the obviously good players in the first couple of rounds.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 04-16-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Your right Patler. With the sheer number of UDFA's that are invited to camps some of them are bound to be overlooked during the 7 round draft process and then stick with a team once they put the pads on and have an opportunity to prove that they're real football players. I just think it proves that some players have attributes and intangibles that the evaluators simply can't pin down or they would have been taken during the draft by someone. I also think it shows how inexact the evaluation process is once you get past most of the obviously good players in the first couple of rounds.
    Agreed. I've never thought there was a lot of difference between the better undrafted players, and the 6-7th round. The last few rounds are useful in making sure you get a couple that you are most interested in, perhaps at positions of greater need. With the undrafted players, you often have competition for their signature on a contract. There are hundreds of relatively similarly talented players, and it is impossible to accurately predict which will adapt, mature, develop the best once they hit the NFL.