The Packers usual formation calls for 2 outside receivers that I'll call #1 and #2, and a slot receiver that I'll call #3. Last year's primary receivers were #1 Nelson, #2 Adams, and #3 Cobb. Adams replaced Boykin who had replaced Jones who left as a free agent. The outside receivers learn the option routes in McCarthy's version of the west coast based upon defensive scheme (man, zone, 2 deep coverage, blitz packages, etc) as well as the technique of the DB (inside position, outside position, trail, etc). Based upon what we've seen for the past 24 years of this offense, it takes around 3 years for an outside receiver to contribute heavily in this offense. Slot receivers are a little different. They appear to do less route running and a little bit more free form running. At least with Cobb, it took until his 2nd year to have an impact on the offense. A receiver with very little big college experience takes longer to develop. Driver took more than 4 years to develop. I suspect that Janis falls into that category. The injury to Nelson was extremely significant. McCarthy and Rodgers expected Adams to move into the #1 position. They acquired Jones to take the #2 position, with Cobb at #3.

Rodgers talked at length before the season about what a big leap Adams had made and expected great success with him. Unfortunately, early in the season, Adams went down with an ankle, and McCarthy had to shift on the fly. He moved Cobb to #1, Jones at #2, and pushed the development of Montgomery at #3. Defenses doubled Cobb, left one defender on Jones, and a #3 CB or a LB on Montgomery. Jones had some success and we started to see Montgomery developing as a short threat. Adams came back, but at the same time Montgomery went down with an ankle. I feel like the plan would have been to use Montgomery and Cobb as slots and reduce playing time for R Rodgers. Adams took a couple of games to get back into the flow and Cobb started seeing doubles as a slot receiver. That was the start of our offensive misery.

I believe they game planned in the Detroit game to target Adams against a relatively week secondary. The purpose was to establish Adams as a genuine #1. In subsequent games, Adams would receive some doubles and Cobb would be able to revert to his role from last year. That plan backfired as Adams suffered drops, no YAC, and an inability to separate from a lone defender, as well as some mis-run routes due to not being on the same page as Rodgers. I believe Rodgers all but called him by saying more time should be spent during the week on preparation and being professional. I forgot to add that Abredaris was called to duty to replace Montgomery in one game in order to test the 2 slot receiver concept, but his fragility came back to stop that experiment even though we had some success.

I'm going to stop short of calling Adams a bust. He's in his 2nd year, in a crash course due to injury, in a program that usually takes 3 years of preparation. Maybe, if Montgomery or Abredaris comes back, we can try the 2 slot receiver look, and find some success. Short of that, I believe this year will be a real struggle on offense.