Thread: Kaepernick unemployment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    This is not about an individual expressing his point of view, this is about an employee using his place of work as his podium to provide greater exposure for that expression. How many of us have worked for an employer that would allow that, especially when used in a blatant and unpopular manner?
    Maybe its different where you work, but we do not stand, pledge or sing at my place of business. We also don't sell tickets to the public to attend inside a city owned park.

When the team decides it wants to invite patriotic displays (whether its the Anthem, Kate Smith or generous donations from the DoD for flag unfurling and a color guard) into its event, the whole panoply of people's patriotic feelings and interpretation of duty comes into play.

Could they rule against such a display by their employee? Probably. I suspect it would withstand legal challenges and stand like the NBA's rule. But if they did, the patriotic display becomes quite hollow.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    When the team decides it wants to invite patriotic displays (whether its the Anthem, Kate Smith or generous donations from the DoD for flag unfurling and a color guard) into its event, the whole panoply of people's patriotic feelings and interpretation of duty comes into play.

Could they rule against such a display by their employee? Probably. I suspect it would withstand legal challenges and stand like the NBA's rule. But if they did, the patriotic display becomes quite hollow.
    It's not about if they could prevent it or not; if it is illegal or not. The point is that he used that podium to express an opinion in an unpopular way. He used the owners' places of conducting their business, where and how their income is generated. Of course he will pay consequences for it.

Maybe its different where you work, but we do not stand, pledge or sing at my place of business. We also don't sell tickets to the public to attend inside a city owned park.
    I see absolutely no relevance to whether tickets are sold, whether it is on public property or any of the issues such as standing or singing. In some people's mind the flag, national anthem, etc. are "special" as targets for protest; but really, they are not. What has been decided is these are not "special" items of protection against such protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It's not about if they could prevent it or not; if it is illegal or not. The point is that he used that podium to express an opinion in an unpopular way. He used the owners' places of conducting their business, where and how their income is generated. Of course he will pay consequences for it.

I see absolutely no relevance to whether tickets are sold, whether it is on public property or any of the issues such as standing or singing. In some people's mind the flag, national anthem, etc. are "special" as targets for protest; but really, they are not. What has been decided is these are not "special" items of protection against such protests.
    A public protest and advocacy are always seeking out the biggest possible venue. And when you invite patriotism into the stadium to help link your sport with goodwill toward armed services, you are going to get blowback in some form or fashion. Its inevitable and should be expected. Whether its a black armband, initials on cleats, a raised fist or boycott of an Olympics, resistance to the prevailing idea will intrude. Its part and parcel of political expression, which is what the displays are at the beginning of games. The anthem was not always played before games.

The owner can hire who they wish. But avoiding Kaepernick solely on this basis is objectively making some teams worse. There is a statistical case that Kaepernick is better than Blake Bortles, who starts for the Jags.

The risk is being overestimated.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Maybe its different where you work, but we do not stand, pledge or sing at my place of business.
    Oh we stand, and we pledge, and we sing at my place of work. And any deviation from expected behaviors results in a loss of free agency on the playground.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Oh we stand, and we pledge, and we sing at my place of work. And any deviation from expected behaviors results in a loss of free agency on the playground.
    I had a teacher like you in high school. He gave out A's to students who parroted his views about Vietnam (shoulda made a parkin lot out of it) and promised extra credit to girls who wore minis. Later on he was exposed as a pederastic pedophile.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I had a teacher like you in high school. He gave out A's to students who parroted his views about Vietnam (shoulda made a parkin lot out of it) and promised extra credit to girls who wore minis. Later on he was exposed as a pederastic pedophile.
    Was that Mr. Hanrahan?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Was that Mr. Hanrahan?
    I'm pretty sure he was the descendant of pilgrims, not Irish. Though if Yeats had known my guy I am sure he would have made a character out of him.

Long view indeed, though he probably didn't need it: most of the girls sat in front.

I'm pretty sure he was the descendant of pilgrims, not Irish. Though if Yeats had known my guy I am sure he would have made a character out of him.

Long view indeed, though he probably didn't need it: most of the girls sat in front.
    At least those girls knew what it took to be successful.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    At least those girls knew what it took to be successful.
    Yes, I never once heard anyone ask the guy what they had to do to get an A in his class.

I had a teacher like you in high school. He gave out A's to students who parroted his views about Vietnam (shoulda made a parkin lot out of it)
    This teacher just had the long view, kinda like Isaiah.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/40013/...parking-spaces
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Holy crap. Was he charged and tried or just driven out of the job?

Blog Entries
    I'm just happy you kids made it thru school & puberty & shit.

Kap?, I think he sits until the season starts. A few significant injuries, he signs with somebody.

I don't think the teams want to go thru the drama until they have to make a move.

Holy crap. Was he charged and tried or just driven out of the job?
    You mean for the pederasty? Nah, that came out after he retired. I don't think charges were ever brought, so maybe it never went beyond the realm of credible rumor.

we do not stand, pledge or sing at my place of business.
    There is no joy in Mudville

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    There is no joy in Mudville
    No there is not. I work from home too much.