Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Practice Squad Signings

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Overreaction to last year? Or prudent policy given the current crop of starters?

Nelson (old and coming off injury)
    Cobb (young vet but also coming back from injury, probably never your #1)
    Adams (horrific 2nd year, bit of unknown, injuries)
    Monty (young and injured for much of 2015 and 2016 offseason)
    Abby (young and concussion prone)
    Janis (ST ace, athletically gifted, still hasn't caught up on offense, also injured)
    Davis (young, thin and injured = unreleased David Bowie album and persona)
    prudent!

i'm glad they signed allison. based on history, and this camp, i'm surprised he didn't get the nod over janis for the last wr spot.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    prudent!

i'm glad they signed allison. based on history, and this camp, i'm surprised he didn't get the nod over janis for the last wr spot.
    Do you value Special Teams less than others, or do you think that Janis really isn't that good there either?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m6 minutes ago
    As practice starts, #Packers make a PS move. ILB Brown is out. TE Devon Cajuste is in. Wearing 86.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I am a bit surprised that Brown was the one let go. I'm not sure what purpose Herb Waters serves.

McGinn had Cajuste #7 of TEs in the draft. One scout said he is really talented, weird, but talented. Described as an excellent athlete, perhaps more of a big slot receiver. Had the fastest three cone drill at 6.49. Apparently really likes to block. Hard nosed.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I'm glad to see Cajuste return. He's a long shot insurance policy for Cook in the future. Very athletic. Plus, Waters ranks high athletically as well. I guess they see potential. As for Brown, they probably like Bradford way more.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I'm glad to see Cajuste return. He's a long shot insurance policy for Cook in the future. Very athletic. Plus, Waters ranks high athletically as well. I guess they see potential. As for Brown, they probably like Bradford way more.
    All likely true, but a second ILB on PS behind three unproven ones on the roster seems more valuable than a 2nd WR on PS` behind 7 on the regular roster. By all reports that I saw, Waters showed little to nothing in camp and was somewhat of a let down based on his perceived potential, whereas several reporters thought Brown showed enough potential to make them think twice about letting him go.

Oh well, can't get too excited about comings and goings on the practice squad!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    All likely true, but a second ILB on PS behind three unproven ones on the roster seems more valuable than a 2nd WR on PS` behind 7 on the regular roster. By all reports that I saw, Waters showed little to nothing in camp and was somewhat of a let down based on his perceived potential, whereas several reporters thought Brown showed enough potential to make them think twice about letting him go.

Oh well, can't get too excited about comings and goings on the practice squad!
    You're correct. Bigger fish to fry.

Just as an aside, I've been watching the Packer's personnel moves with an eye on the SPARQ rankings which, I guess, attempt to grade and compare the athletic abilities of NFL players and prospects. The correlation is uncanny. I suspect TT puts a lot of stock in them.

For instance, Cajuste is ranked #5 among all WR prospects and Waters #20. That puts Cajuste in the company of Josh Doctson and Corey Coleman and Waters ahead of Sterling Shepard. Doctson, Coleman and Shepard are all starting caliber draft choices.

Also, if you are surprised TT didn't draft Reggie Raglund, it could be because Ragland ranked #77 among LB prospects whereas Kyler Fackrell was #57 and Blake Martinez was #55.

By the way, Dean Lowry was ranked #5 among Defensive Linemen and Brandon Burks, Don Jackson and Jhurell Pressley were ranked #12, #13, and #14 respectively among all rookie running backs.

Kind of too strange to be a coincidence.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    McGinn had Cajuste #7 of TEs in the draft. One scout said he is really talented, weird, but talented. Described as an excellent athlete, perhaps more of a big slot receiver. Had the fastest three cone drill at 6.49. Apparently really likes to block. Hard nosed.

So he's aces at the three cone - the major agility drill, a big slot guy and he's hard nosed and likes to block?

Hmmm. I don't understand how weird you'd have to be in order not to have been drafted fairly early. I mean, Johnny Manziel was a frickin' train wreck coming out of college, and look how high he was (drafted). And tight ends are valuable - how weird do you have to be in order to have teams willing to overlook all this talent?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack