Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
I think he would have stayed as long as he had some control over who else stayed. I think he came to realize he wasn't going to have that control.
I agree with this, Joe. I do think Guter caved to Rodgers last year, maybe to keep his job, given that it seems Rodgers or Rodgers's rep called Mark Murphy to let him know Rodgers wanted Guter fired in 2021. But then last season happened, and Guter saw that the team's "run it back" hadn't gone very far, so he wrested control back from Rodgers, or was going to, and when he tried to reach out to Rodgers to let him know, well, Guter had to know that would not go over well. Thus the subsequent the split and the he-said-she-said stuff.

But I disagree with you in your comments about "moving on." Moving on? This whole thread is dedicated to not moving on! We need to speculate all next season about whether Rodgers is really making the Jets better, and if he would've rebounded had he stayed, and who is current girlfriend is, and how many eye-rolls he pulls in a given game, then we'll have to compare that to the average number of eye-rolls in Rodgers's last season in Green Bay. So much not-moving-on to do!