Thread: How good can Sam Shields become?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VermontPackFan View Post
    I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.
    Good points in here Vermont, but he's played way above expectations. You can't hide a CB out on the perimeter where he plays. Coordinators (and QB's) can easily find him and isolate him. You can sometimes hide guys a bit in the slot and give them short zones with help over the top, but that's not what Shields does. If he wasn't getting the job done out there, everyone would know it quickly. With Williams on the other side, it's surprising he hasn't been targeted more - not less. That's a testament to the job he's done out there. He's sticking on guys like glue, makes plays on the ball, and can stick his head in there and tackle too. If he keeps his nose clean (literally) down in Miami on breaks, this kid can be the goods IMO.