Thread: Ahman Ah-rested

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Not all hitting is violence. My dad used to sometimes hit us for misbehaving. We never sensed danger though because we knew he wasn't doing it out of rage. He was in control. he was sending a message that we needed to straighten up. Ahman Green is a different story. He has, at least sporadically, problems controlling his anger.
    Sorry but it is still violence. Maybe of a different sort, but it is still violence. I don't doubt that there were and may still be family environments in which kids get spanked and grow up to be highly functional adults. But parenting culture is changing, and it's no longer generally accepted that hitting a child will produce desirable changes. Recent studies have shown a positive correlation between corporal punishment in the home and increased negative behavior as well as lowering of self-esteem. There are plenty of non-violent ways of teaching kids right from wrong and instilling responsibility.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Recent studies have shown a positive correlation between corporal punishment in the home and increased negative behavior as well as lowering of self-esteem.
    50% of social science studies is shit. Not to mention that a lot of even the reasonably conducted stuff is politically outcome-driven (lysenkoism). And the last thing our society needs is more self esteem.

I would like to see which studies you think are worthy of consideration. I'd consider them.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck