Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Day 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Janis and Abby are TTs draft picks, too.
    Talking rookie draft picks; they are 2 years aged and we won't keep 7 WR's
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Murphy is a good player. Has an injury, but I had him projected as a 4th round pick. Just didn't think they'd double dip at OT. Perhaps TT envisions one of these guys kicking inside to OG. The depth at OL could be stellar now.

Murphy was my 12th rated OT. Fits a zone scheme very well. Productive.
    Spriggs is a lock of course, but if a guy like Murphy can come in and compete for a roster spot and wins it, the depth is better than Barclay and Walker, which is a huge plus given what happened with the starting tackles last year.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I like all of the info Woody shares as well as Harv's info. Gives us two sets of players to look at. Since TT hardly ever cuts his own draft picks, and hightly doubtful he'll cut the Fresno Fraud, either Janis or Abby are probably toast
    This makes no sense since Janis and Abby were also drafted by Thompson. He's going to have to cut one of his own guys, since they are all his own guys and he's not going to keep 7 WRs.

EDIT: I didn't understand what Bretsky was originally getting at, but he means cutting rookies. Not's not entirely true. Didn't he cut two guys last year?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

This makes no sense since Janis and Abby were also drafted by Thompson. He's going to have to cut one of his own guys, since they are all his own guys and he's not going to keep 7 WRs.

EDIT: I didn't understand what Bretsky was originally getting at, but he means cutting rookies. Not's not entirely true. Didn't he cut two guys last year?
    B meant rookie draft picks. And he's right. TT's picks in the 1st 6 rounds almost always make the team as a rookie.

I doubt we make it through training camp with all receivers healthy. That choice will probably be made for him.

Also, as much as some like Abby, he is definitely on the chopping block as the bottom part of the roster is turned over.

My initial thought is that this is going to be a good draft. Sure, at each pick there were some guys that I liked better (except the Spriggs pick), but everybody was pretty much on my short list. Could be the kiss of death though--since my gut feeling on players that TT picks at draft time is often wrong.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    And Devonte Adams over Allan Robinson
    They had equivalent first years, and Robinson shot ahead in year 2. The book isn't quite closed on this one yet (unlike the Jennings/Jackson debate) though it doesn't look good after the first two seasons.

Really, it just shows that what the hell do we know one minute after the pick is made? We can use "expert analysis" from those who are employed by sports networks and not the teams themselves but these early grades are all meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I doubt we make it through training camp with all receivers healthy. That choice will probably be made for him.

Also, as much as some like Abby, he is definitely on the chopping block as the bottom part of the roster is turned over.
    I agree, unless Davis agrees to the practice squad.

Baltimore took Canady soon after the Packers picked.

The German dude the Vikes took will be a better player than Ted's latest WR bust.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The German dude the Vikes took will be a better player than Ted's latest WR bust.
    oh boy
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Really, it just shows that what the hell do we know one minute after the pick is made? We can use "expert analysis" from those who are employed by sports networks and not the teams themselves but these early grades are all meaningless.
    QFT
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Trevor Davis might be an insurance policy for Ty Montgomery, in case he struggles coming back. They have some similar skill sets.

The other thought that I had was that they were going to possible expand Janis' role and perhaps try and move him out of KR duties and saw Davis is a guy who could take his place.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Now your into a re-direct...I'm focusing on TT's 5th Rd. WR pick...OK.

TT made that WR pick with clearly > 3 dozen other WR's ranked higher than his guy.

Now unless you believe in one year miracles I doubt that TT's guy at WR suddenly exceeded the strengths of all of those other 3 dozen or so WR's.

TT blew that pick if he wanted help for the Packers. Other WR's were certainly more NFL ready and some as capable of a better ST effort than the skinflint he chose.

TT was likely enamoured with his speed....sold on that.

Straight line speed doesn't translate to football skill at the NFL level.

Suck it up pbmax...TT blew that pick to blazes.
    Pro scouts do not spend a ton of time on juniors because they do not know which are coming out early (except the the very best). So grades a year out are useless, moreso from the media experts. It takes an NFL team all season and the beginning of the offseason to finish scouting the seniors and juniors who declare. So your claim that someone who climbs a draft board be a one year wonder is kind of silly.

To claim that there were 3 dozen better is ludicrous and based on poor information if you judge by the NFL.com grades. Not even the draft experts here would make that claim.

You say Ted blew this pick. Alright, we'll keep track of those 3 dozen others and see who has a better career.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-30-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 48m48 minutes ago
    Thompson on Murphy: "We liked him a lot. We had several guys go out to the West Coast and Stanford. He's a big man who plays the game well."

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 47m47 minutes ago
    Murphy's main issue is sloppy footwork, but he has all the other tools to be an eventual starter.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 46m46 minutes ago
    Thompson on Trevor Davis: "His catching in the pro days and Indy and all that is very impressive."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 47m47 minutes ago
    Thompson on Lowry: leader, "100 percent guy." ... Blue-collar. More you watched, the more you liked.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 46m46 minutes ago
    Thompson thinks Martinez can be three-down guy. Started off saying Murphy will start off at OT. A Campen favorite.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 46m46 minutes ago
    Thompson: "You don't have to be big to play in the NFL, but it helps. And we were able to get some bigs on both sides of the ball."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 46m46 minutes ago
    Might this be a dominant team? "I'm not ready to proclaim anything ... it's a little silly." Other 31 teams trying too.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 45m45 minutes ago
    Thompson thinks he added "quality people" to the team.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 44m44 minutes ago
    Thompson: "It's a physical game, but it's also a smart guy's game. We think we've added some quality people to our organization."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 44m44 minutes ago
    Thompson: "When it was our turn to go, we felt like we picked the best player available." #PackersDraft

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 41m41 minutes ago
    Thompson thinks this group of draft picks will be "extraordinary" when it comes to understanding the game and mental capacity.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 41m41 minutes ago
    #Packers GM Ted Thompson said the football acumen of the group he just drafted is "extraordinary."

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 39m39 minutes ago
    TT not closing door on Mike Neal: "Lot of different things that could happen over the course of the offseason that could change things."

Mike Chappell ‏@mchappell51 41m41 minutes ago
    Irsay told media Colts had Clay Matthews on 2009 1st-round card at 27. Packers jumped ahead w/NE trade. Matthews gone. Hello Donald Brown.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I can't believe we didn't take advantage of the German pipeline for wide receivers. The German engineering is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You say Ted blew this pick. Alright, we'll keep track of those 3 dozen others and see who has a better career.
    Nope. Unacceptable. We must judge Thompson's picks right now. After all, he's the only GM in the history of the NFL that has ever made a bad draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Pro scouts do not spend a ton of time on juniors because they do not know which are coming out early (except the the very best). So grades a year out are useless, moreso from the media experts. It takes an NFL team all season and the beginning of the offseason to finish scouting the seniors and juniors who declare. So your claim that someone who climbs a draft board be a one year wonder is kind of silly.

To claim that there were 3 dozen better is ludicrous and based on poor information if you judge by the NFL.com grades. Not even the draft experts here would make that claim.

Draft Insider, which waits until just before the draft to put their rankings together, had Davis as the #27 WR, and a 6th round value.

Trevor Davis
    School: California
    Position: WR
    Positive: Part-time starter the past 2 seasons also used to return kicks. Recorded a career-best 40 receptions, 672 yards and 2 TDs as a senior. Athletic receiver prospect with an inconsistent game. Uses the sidelines well, nicely adjusts to the errant throw and plays heads-up football. Consistently extends to make the reception away from his frame. Competitive, keeps the play in bounds and always working to pick up positive yardage.
    Negative: Does not display consistent hands, does not always come away with the difficult reception and has throws bouncing off his hands. Must improve his route running.
    Analysis: Davis is a talented prospect who's slowly turning his athletic ability into football skill. His return skills could help him catch hold of a roster spot where he'll also lineup as a 5th receiver.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Dear God....I'll not insult or initiate a duel with you ... rather I'll be patient with your counter argument:

OK..... I'll try it this way:

Think about TT's position relative to what he picked at WR relevant to the 36-39 WR's he might rather have selected.
    So your whole argument is based solely on the NFL.com grades. No actual film study or other reasonable argument. Gotcha. Oh, and still waiting on the condemnation of the other GMs that blew their WR picks from my previous post.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Way back in March I summarized what I felt we needed to improve:
    1 * Allow the Packers to become an elite pass rushing defense
    2 * Improve OL and better protect AROD
    3 * Improve our ability to stretch the field vertically, both from the TE and WR positions
    4 * Add a fast, tough ILB who will enable Clay to move back to OLB
    5 * Improve 3rd down and Red Zone offense by adding a pass catching, change of pace RB
    6 * Improve our KR and PR games
    7* Increase team speed
    Analysis:
    1* This draft didn't make us an elite pass rushing defense, but it improved us considerably. All four defensive draft picks are either good pass rushers and/or free up other pass rushers on the defense like Clay.

2* We definitely improved our OL by adding quality depth and competition.

3* WR Davis is a quality field stretcher. Add in FA TE Cook and we're improved. Get guys back from injuries and we might be great. Arod has to be pleased.

4* Martinez is not Ragland or Jones, but he's got the potential to be better than anyone we have. Clay can now move to the outside.

5* We didn't draft a pass catching, change of pace RB, but maybe TT feels Crockett is the man.

6* Davis appears to be an upgrade to our KR/PR game. Plus, Fackrell is supposed to be a good special teams player.

7* We're not going to be the fastest team in the league because of this draft, but we'll be faster with Davis pushing the WR's and Cook at TE.

All in all, drafting at #27, I think TT did a great job. I'm looking forward to the season and thinking Super Bowl.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers