Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week11 @ Vikings

Packer Replay, Silverstein: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...352973431.html

Rookie cornerback Damarious Randall played despite entering the game as questionable with a hamstring injury. He lined up opposite Sam Shields as a starter in the base defense for the second consecutive week. Casey Hayward played inside in the nickel defense.
    Is he saying he is starting outside over Hayward in the 3-4? Or in the new base the 2-4 nickel (with Hayward in slot)?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Just so you know, red's first name might be Trevor.

Trevor Kurak ‏@TrevorKurak 6h6 hours ago
    Are you serious? How do you misjudge that @micah_hyde? Wow... Not a good feeling about this game. About this season.. #GBvsMIN
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rob DemovskyVerified account ‏@RobDemovsky 5h5 hours ago
    Corey Linsley (ankle) and Micah Hyde (hip) have been ruled out for the game.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Are you serious? How do you misjudge that @micah_hyde? Wow... Not a good feeling about this game. About this season.. #GBvsMIN
    In case this wasn't addressed elsewhere, it sure looked like his attempted leap was where he re-aggravated his hip or whatever - that's why it looked like such a poor effort.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Lacy playing well was the difference for the offense. Rodgers was still off, the receivers still dropping passes, the oline still like a sieve, but Lacy was on and the defense played well.

Got to keep Lacy rolling.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Lacy playing well was the difference for the offense. Rodgers was still off, the receivers still dropping passes, the oline still like a sieve, but Lacy was on and the defense played well.

This.

Pass pro looks better with Lacy in there. He seems to have a better feel for it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    In case this wasn't addressed elsewhere, it sure looked like his attempted leap was where he re-aggravated his hip or whatever - that's why it looked like such a poor effort.

I thought it was Randall that got beat on that one. But no, it was Hyde.

I like Hyde, as a person. He seems like a really decent guy, and he's a very solid punt returner, too. But he should be buried when it comes to playing time on defense. He's always, always behind his guy. He rarely makes plays.

Good special teams guy.

Elsewhere...

Was I correct in thinking the Packers played offense a lot more with Rodgers under center? It seemed that way, and it seemed somehow to help Lacey.

Was it just me, or did having Tretter at center make the snaps to Rodgers in the shotgun go more smoothly? How many times, with Linsley under center, was the play clock ticking down and Rodgers impatiently slapping his hands together for the ball, and Linsley just holding it until Rodgers had to call a timeout? A thousand? I didn't see that problem with Tretter at center. And he seemed to block well, too.

The offensive line played much, much better yesterday, no? Rodgers had plenty of time (except for a few times in that half) and there were actual holes for Lacey.

I wonder why Lacey played, finally, with a fire under his ass.

Cobb dropping two passes and Jones another? Ugh. Especially because...

It looks like Davante Adams is still not right with that ankle injury.

Looks like Nick Perry made some quiet but solid plays. Neal was a force, too. And Matthews is just incredible.

Rodgers still off, but maybe he can get his juju back a little after that win.

And for all of you (us?) doubters, this is another one of MM's specials - he does surprise you when you think they're ready to be flushed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Good call. That was an ugly looking play after pressure didn't get home immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post

I thought the middle, even with Tretter getting pushed back, was cleaner this week. Tretter was doing a great job holding on and not getting called for it. That's a vet skill, give your QB a chance to see it and adjust.

Doug Dieken gave him his player of the game award.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Was I correct in thinking the Packers played offense a lot more with Rodgers under center? It seemed that way, and it seemed somehow to help Lacey.

Was it just me, or did having Tretter at center make the snaps to Rodgers in the shotgun go more smoothly? How many times, with Linsley under center, was the play clock ticking down and Rodgers impatiently slapping his hands together for the ball, and Linsley just holding it until Rodgers had to call a timeout? A thousand? I didn't see that problem with Tretter at center. And he seemed to block well, too.

The offensive line played much, much better yesterday, no? Rodgers had plenty of time (except for a few times in that half) and there were actual holes for Lacey.
    Yes on under center plus a a snap or three of pistol. Pistol didn't do much except maybe one good run. They put Lacy deep as a single I back and he seemed to like that.

I thought some of Tretter's snaps were low and he and Rodgers seemed out of sync with the silent count. There was always a weird hiccup somewhere between first leg kick, lookup at the D alignment, then check back through the legs for the second leg kick for go. My assumption was that Rodgers largely abandoned a few audibles to get the snap off on time because outside of the two TOs, that didn't seem to be an issue.

Sitton got beat once and still put his guy on the ground with some kind of takedown. I would not be surprised if Lang got the highest grades though there were some bad runs to the right. They were better though. Gave AR room even with a five man rush. I think Rodgers definitely showed signs of a shoulder injury, but his legs seemed better (ankle injury from Carolina I think?).

I would like to say, in a rude but not the most unkind way available, that Bob's article about the direction of both franchises Sunday under their respective head coaches and GMs was completely full of crap?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...352802231.html

The headline pays homage to the coach, but the article seeks to reaffirm the ship is off course narrative that started with the less than ideal draft of 2011. That is contrasted with the needle-threading genius of Spielman and Zimmer who rebuilt a fearsome defense in two years.

30-13 Bob. On the bloody road. Now you cannot simply retreat to pleading that this is as it should be with Rodgers at QB. Because you specifically claimed the defense wasn't up to the task after a few bad drafts AND the QB is undeniably hurt and restricted regardless of his achievements.

So I am now going to read your game story and I am certain you will not have reckoned with your poor critique.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...352952651.html

Evan Siegle ‏@PGevansiegle 12h12 hours ago
    The squirrel that entertained us photographers & crowd during Sunday's #Packers game in MN. #NFL #squirrelonthefield

I would like to say, in a rude but not the most unkind way available, that Bob's article about the direction of both franchises Sunday under their respective head coaches and GMs was completely full of crap?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...352802231.html

The headline pays homage to the coach, but the article seeks to reaffirm the ship is off course narrative that started with the less than ideal draft of 2011. That is contrasted with the needle-threading genius of Spielman and Zimmer who rebuilt a fearsome defense in two years.

30-13 Bob. On the bloody road. Now you cannot simply retreat to pleading that this is as it should be with Rodgers at QB. Because you specifically claimed the defense wasn't up to the task after a few bad drafts AND the QB is undeniably hurt and restricted regardless of his achievements.

So I am now going to read your game story and I am certain you will not have reckoned with your poor critique.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...352952651.html
    Hasn't he been writing an article similar to that just about every year? Once, it was the Bears, another time it was the Lions. Each was on the rise at different times, having made substantial improvements in just a couple years, while the Packers were getting old and stale. If you write that article every year about which ever team is playing the best, sooner or later you will look like you saw it earlier than most. One of these years, he will be correct, and the Packers will regress while another team will have sustained improvement and win the division,maybe even several years. It is inevitable.

The Vikings look like they have a lot of pieces on defense, and a few on offense. Much will depend on how Bridgewater develops, and how long Peterson lasts. They look like they have a good start. They seem to have a good head coach who has surrounded himself with a good coaching staff. But there were times when Lovie Smith and Jim Schwartz looked to be long term answers in Chicago and GB. Many thought the Vikings were masterful in keeping Brad Childress from going to GB. Things can get derailed quickly in the NFL, and the "perfect" offensive or defensive coordinator fails to deliver, or the "savior" head coach gets fired.

The reality is that at present all in the division are chasing GB until one definitively gets past and stays there. We know it will happen, maybe even soon, but McGinn hasn't shown any particular insight as to when it will happen.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 17m17 minutes ago
    Janis would be a 100 rec receiver in NE's offense. No doubt, New England's coaches make the Pack's coaches look like orangutans.

Greg Bedard still has commenting privileges at JSO apparently. Speaking of which, where is Nick MacDonald these days?

Greg Bedard still has commenting privileges at JSO apparently. Speaking of which, where is Nick MacDonald these days?
    I assume he is at McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    he didn't get shit fixed

we won, but i don't think 16-34 is gonna cut it for a-rod

he's still off
    I disagree. We are all WAY spoiled. I saw 5 drops in this one. Would 21-34 look a lot better? Those would have kept drives alive as well also adding to time of poss. and padding stats. Aaron was good, not great. We are simply used to great.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree. We are all WAY spoiled. I saw 5 drops in this one. Would 21-34 look a lot better? Those would have kept drives alive as well also adding to time of poss. and padding stats. Aaron was good, not great. We are simply used to great.
    I have to agree with that. We are accustomed to talking about only the screw ups of other, not Rodgers. If we were now discussing only the screw ups of Rodgers, and not others, it wouldn't be so bad. But, when you have mistakes by Rodgers at a time when others have also too many of their own, it becomes a mediocre offense. Luckily, the defense came through, along with Crosby.

Rodgers is off for whatever reason, but others aren't helping.

i would kick my own ass if i was named trevor

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    yeah, 21-34 still isn't great by his standards

and he was off by quite a bit when he was off. we've never seen a-rod missing guys by 10 yards before like he is this year, much less doing it 4 or 5 times a game like we've seen the last month including yesterday

i would say by his standards, he was average

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    We're definitely spoiled. But what the last few games show us is that an offense is much more than the sum of its parts. It takes only a little bit of shittiness to propagate through the whole rest of the team culminating in a full blown shit blizzard.

Just having Eddie Lacy working dragged the rest of the offense out of the cycle of mediocrity.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.