Thread: But Can He Lead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Jahri Evans will be an upgrade from Lang - believe me.
    FIFY

I'm not really arguing whether the cutting of those vets was a good or bad move in the current system. I'm just grinding an old axe - the fantasy that there really is a "team". Well, there is a team every year enjoying a one-year stand. The hard cap sucks, there are better ways to balance interests - keeping teams together, preventing dominance by deep-pocketed franchizes, and still allowing a degree of free agency. The fan interest (maintaining some continuity of players) is completely ignored with the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    FIFY

I'm not really arguing whether the cutting of those vets was a good or bad move in the current system. I'm just grinding an old axe - the fantasy that there really is a "team". Well, there is a team every year enjoying a one-year stand. The hard cap sucks, there are better ways to balance interests - keeping teams together, preventing dominance by deep-pocketed franchizes, and still allowing a degree of free agency. The fan interest (maintaining some continuity of players) is completely ignored with the current system.
    Part of what he is doing here is helping to keep it a team.

And while older guys move on more frequently, Bulaga is getting close to the 10 year benchmark in the League. Bach in on his second contract (though he wasn't in those pics). They aren't that young. Even Barclay is in second contract territory. In a League of where the average tenure is 3-4 years, I think the team concept holds true.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In a League of where the average tenure is 3-4 years, I think the team concept holds true.
    The average NFL career is only 2.66 years, so the typical stay with one team is less than that:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/01/nf...-data-analysis

I don't need stats to tell me that the turnover in NFL is constant and absurd. All those articles last fall about Jared Cook. Starters may last for a contract period. I can't even keep up with the names of the players on the defensive front seven. It's a revolving door. How many running backs have been in and out the past 5 years?

It takes 3-4 seasons to develop an attachment to a player.

The Packer "team" each year is like a fantasy football team chosen by TT. That's an exaggeration, but the constant turnover to younger, cheaper guys is like an endless mill.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 05-26-2017 at 08:14 AM.

House is back on the team. So there's that.