Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
Bill Scott said on the Mike Lucas Show today that he expects Sherrod won't make the roster. His thinking is that Sherrod's feet are just too slow to play NFL tackle. Unfixable problem. Scott said if Sherrod makes roster, Thompson will keep working on finding a replacement.

That's two packer journalists who have had pretty dire assessments. Jason Wilde and Bill Scott are not bomb throwers.

I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but I thought I saw the horse move a little.
This is getting dumb (reporters, not Harlan).

Bill Scott is famous for having not attended any Packer practices in years and is regularly derided for his pronouncements based on reading the paper.

Wilde is strictly a storyline guy. Last week Sherrod was fine. This week he must be replaced. He keeps no stats and talks to few people outside of the Packers except players and agents. I get the concern and the subject is not a manufactured controversy, but people need to let this play out. Thompson isn't going to trade a draft pick for a backup tackle and anyone off the street will be worse, even if a vet. Ask the Steelers and Big Ben how replacement level tackles play in the NFL.

In Tennessee on a wet track, people were encouraged by Sherrod's performance on a poor surface, feeling that if he could perform in poor conditions he must really trust his leg.

Now on a fast track with 3 bad plays, he is clearly gimpy and slow, doesn't trust his leg and can no longer be a Tackle. This is Column A and Column B reporting, taking two quite possibly unrelated facts, finding causation and declaring the end of a career.

Against KC before the injury, Sherrod was very much able to catch the very quick rushers that were coming at him. He had some kind of odd, short and narrow setup in St. Louis that served him poorly. They have to correct, adjust and let him get better. When McCarthy said the kid needs reps, he didn't mean an entire offseason of no mistakes.

He meant he has to learn it step by step again.