Thread: Game lengths

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One sport that will have to change is baseball. The average age of viewers is up in 50s. They are going to have to pick up the pace somehow.

The slow football games at night are the worst. During the day, it is much easier to DVR and fast forward. Recording games to watch the next day is unappealing because you might hear the score somewhere, and somehow the DVR copy grows a little stale overnight.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The slow football games at night are the worst. Recording games to watch the next day is unappealing because you might hear the score somewhere, and somehow the DVR copy grows a little stale overnight.
    true, but you can always watch during your morning soak in epsom salts.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    One sport that will have to change is baseball. The average age of viewers is up in 50s. They are going to have to pick up the pace somehow.

The slow football games at night are the worst. During the day, it is much easier to DVR and fast forward. Recording games to watch the next day is unappealing because you might hear the score somewhere, and somehow the DVR copy grows a little stale overnight.
    I'd say the problem with baseball is that there are 162 games on various days/times. It's easy for casual football fans to catch games during the NFL/college season because there are so few for teams they follow, and they usually only have to worry about one a week. I don't know of many people who will watch/listen to all the games in a season. Most will tune in if their teams are still in the playoff hunt/in the playoffs, but they can wait until the end of the season for that.

Also, as to the original point about the length of the OSU/Bama game, it also probably doesn't help when there are 77 points scored in a game. That usually pushes game length up.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I'd say the problem with baseball is that there are 162 games on various days/times. It's easy for casual football fans to catch games during the NFL/college season because there are so few for teams they follow, and they usually only have to worry about one a week. I don't know of many people who will watch/listen to all the games in a season. Most will tune in if their teams are still in the playoff hunt/in the playoffs, but they can wait until the end of the season for that.

Also, as to the original point about the length of the OSU/Bama game, it also probably doesn't help when there are 77 points scored in a game. That usually pushes game length up.

Baseball is a game made for young men to play and old men to follow. As I get older, I find myself enjoying the slow, deliberate tempo of the game. The strategies within strategies. Pitches, pitch count, changing strategies with alignments in the field, with runners in scoring position, substitutions, left handers versus right handers, I could go on. I'm no expert at baseball - at all - I might enjoy trying to become one, if I survive until retirement.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Baseball is a game made for young men to play and old men to follow. As I get older, I find myself enjoying the slow, deliberate tempo of the game. The strategies within strategies. Pitches, pitch count, changing strategies with alignments in the field, with runners in scoring position, substitutions, left handers versus right handers, I could go on. I'm no expert at baseball - at all - I might enjoy trying to become one, if I survive until retirement.
    Just don't write a book about it while also contemplating verdant expanses, morning dew and the rebirth announced with the Spring.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.