Thread: Shea McClellin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    How many stud DE's are their in the NFL ? You honestly can't count too many. The miss ratio is incredibly high in the draft.

Lots of stud OLB's though and one will come between pick 28 and 40. You might get the 6th or 7th DL or the 2nd best OLB.

In Green Bay's Defense I don't think the DE is a shining star. The OLB's can be though.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    How many stud DE's are their in the NFL ?
    If you're talking about 5-technique defensive ends playing in the 3-4 defense, I would say there are two: Justin Smith and J.J. Watt, with Calais Campbell possibly getting there in a year or two. Being a DE in a 3-4 and making an impact in addition to executing your assigned responsibilities is pretty tough.
    </delurk>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    If you're talking about 5-technique defensive ends playing in the 3-4 defense, I would say there are two: Justin Smith and J.J. Watt, with Calais Campbell possibly getting there in a year or two. Being a DE in a 3-4 and making an impact in addition to executing your assigned responsibilities is pretty tough.
    Completely agree; that's why if that OLB is there you grab him and fill the DE the next two rounds
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I agree that a star 5-tech is a big deal, the thing is? You're not going to find one of those ready-made at #28. Justin Smith went 4th overall, J.J. Watt went 11th overall, Tyson Jackson who was supposed to be that guy (but isn't, at least not yet) went #3rd overall. You can bring one along over time, Calais Campbell is becoming elite-ish, but this is his fifth year in the league. If you want to look at what a 5-tech we draft this year would do for the defense, look at Cameron Heyward in Pittsburgh or Wilkerson in New York from last year (and that was a better 5-tech class at the top than this is.)

Even if we were to land an elite 5-tech prospect this year (which is pretty much limited to Cox or Brockers) you're not going to get that high end play from them this year, and I don't know about you, but I think we can win the Super Bowl this year if things break right. I think a solid OLB who can play right away does more to help the defense on the short term, and you can grow 5-techs with time and effort. So I would personally prefer to take a safe, ready OLB with upside in the first (Branch or McClellin) then throw a hundred thousand picks at 5-tech picks later in the draft (Give me Wolfe in the third, Akiem Hicks in the Fourth, and Markus Kuhn in the 7th) hoping to grow a Brett Keisel type prospect.
    </delurk>

Blog Entries
    I agree that a star 5-tech is a big deal, the thing is? You're not going to find one of those ready-made at #28. Justin Smith went 4th overall, J.J. Watt went 11th overall, Tyson Jackson who was supposed to be that guy (but isn't, at least not yet) went #3rd overall. You can bring one along over time, Calais Campbell is becoming elite-ish, but this is his fifth year in the league. If you want to look at what a 5-tech we draft this year would do for the defense, look at Cameron Heyward in Pittsburgh or Wilkerson in New York from last year (and that was a better 5-tech class at the top than this is.)

Even if we were to land an elite 5-tech prospect this year (which is pretty much limited to Cox or Brockers) you're not going to get that high end play from them this year, and I don't know about you, but I think we can win the Super Bowl this year if things break right. I think a solid OLB who can play right away does more to help the defense on the short term, and you can grow 5-techs with time and effort. So I would personally prefer to take a safe, ready OLB with upside in the first (Branch or McClellin) then throw a hundred thousand picks at 5-tech picks later in the draft (Give me Wolfe in the third, Akiem Hicks in the Fourth, and Markus Kuhn in the 7th) hoping to grow a Brett Keisel type prospect.

Man the more film I watch of Branch the less I feel he's a safe pick. He looks stiff in the hips and a straight line pass rusher. He doesn't seem to change directions too well. McClellin seems to be safe, steady, and Aaron Kampmen like Tenacious. I saw you liked him more than Brooks Reed..I know you were not a fan of my Smash Mouth Texan
    but
    If he's better than Reed

You draft him at 28

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    McClellin seems to be safe, steady, and Aaron Kampmen like Tenacious. I saw you liked him more than Brooks Reed..I know you were not a fan of my Smash Mouth Texan
    but
    If he's better than Reed

You draft him at 28
    The big difference? Reed is crazy, while McClellin is smart. Kid played everywhere on that BSU defense, and he never took himself out of a play. I also think he's more loose on his feet, he's played in space a lot in college.
    </delurk>

Blog Entries
    The big difference? Reed is crazy, while McClellin is smart. Kid played everywhere on that BSU defense, and he never took himself out of a play. I also think he's more loose on his feet, he's played in space a lot in college.

That is an interesting but accurate comparison IMO

In Brooks Reed, I saw a combo of the personalities of Clay Matthews and Odell Smash Mouth Thurman....who clearly would have been a great player if not for the lack of a brain

In McClellin I see Aaron Kampmen with more talent