Thread: Backlash Begins: Is Davante Adams The New Boykin?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Setting up to let Nelson go? No.
    Having options at WR? Yes.

You could ask the same question about Casey Hayward or Sam Shields at cornerback based on the draft this year.

According to Sportrac, Nelson, Cobb and Montgomery all will be FAs in 2019. Adams is actually the year before. Chances are, by then there will be another name or two in the mix of talks about who to keep and who to let go at WR. Could be Abbredaris, or Janis or a guy in college who none of us have heard of yet. Nelson will be 34 years old. He may not even want another contract. His hip might end his career before he even gets to that point. You never know which player might be the next Sterling Sharp, Nick Collins or Chris Borland.

TT isn't planning what he will do in 2019. Heck, he might not even be the guy in charge by then. But he does try to give the Packers options to deal with the situations that exist when the time comes.

When TT came to GB, he was faced with two guards in contract years, one expired, the other with an unmanageable roster bonus. One up in years and with an increasing history of injuries. The other in a position to demand a top contract as a FA if let go. Sherman left TT with no options on the roster to replace even one, let alone both. It was a bad situation.

This year the situation at CB was somewhat similar, with an older vet and a younger guy both hitting FA, and both getting contracts the Packers didn't want to have to pay. But there is hope at the position even with both having left, because last year CB depth in GB looked like WR might this year. Certainly a better situation than a few years ago when they had to pay Shields more than they would have liked, because they had little behind him.
    That's how I feel.

One of the refrains often heard about Favre's career is that his lone SB was because 'he didn't have the weapons'. Well, I think TT is making sure that's something that can't be said about Rodgers. He's keeping the cupboard stocked.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    That's how I feel.

One of the refrains often heard about Favre's career is that his lone SB was because 'he didn't have the weapons'. Well, I think TT is making sure that's something that can't be said about Rodgers. He's keeping the cupboard stocked.
    The thread about how TT runs the Packers links an article that brought up something I knew, but hadn't really thought too much about.
    In 2010, the leading receivers on a Super Bowl winning team were Jennings, Driver and Jones. By the 4th season later, not a single one was still on the Packers, and it didn't matter one bit.