Thread: Jerry Kramer Nominated As Finalist For Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    The video above that article from the UrinalScented starts with a lie about the IceBowl block that got Starr into the end zone.
    Center Ken Bowman was at least (and this is being generous to Kramer) as responsible for that block as Kramer. Kramer is the consummate showman, and has almost centered (pun intended) his entire life on that block, the Packers 'Glory Years' and Vince Lombardi. I predict that years after his death, Kramer's body will still twitch reflexively when the words "Ice Bowl" are uttered. He deserves a lot of credit for the Packers successes in the 60s, maybe even enshrinement, but he doesn't deserve the credit he gets for that play.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/p...38169849.html/

"The locker room was pandemonium and Lombardi was on the podium with the TV cameras and Vince called for Jerry," Bowman said. "I said, 'Jerry, don't forget to tell 'em it was a double team.' He said, 'Kid, you got 10 years ahead of you. Let an old man have his day.' "

Bowman said he didn't realize the magnitude of the block or the Packers' achievement at the time.

"I was so young and dumb," he said. "I let Jerry go up and have the microphone and receive all the credit."

Former team historian Lee Remmel offered this perspective in a 2007 interview with Packer Plus on the famous block.

"Looking back from 40 year's perspective, I think there's quite enough for both of them to share," Remmel said. "I don't think there's any reason to diminish one's role or the other's.

"They both contributed to the end result, which was a victory in what was voted the greatest game of all time."

Bowman said he's moved on from any controversy on the issue.

"That block happened more than 40 years ago," he said. "I know what it was. My teammates know what it was, so that's good enough for me. I've moved on with my life."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    The video above that article from the UrinalScented starts with a lie about the IceBowl block that got Starr into the end zone.
    Center Ken Bowman was at least (and this is being generous to Kramer) as responsible for that block as Kramer.
    How cold was it in the stands that day?