Thread: So if the defense is terrible again this season?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Wist, I applaud you for calling it like it is and note being drunk on the kool-aid that flows freely on this site. Bottom line, I have zero confidence in Capers and believe it will be another horrible season defense wise. The coaches and homers will blame it on injuries, which is already starting. When you have this many injuries to key players, this many years in a row, it's not a coincidence. Which leads us to coaching and higher not making the needed changes.
    I read somewhere the other day (twitter maybe?) that Raji was looking pretty good with his 'new' role trying to get after the passer and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads is wrong. I actually do agree with Wist on some of his criticisms, and I know a lot of other Packerrats do too. However I'm willing and I'm sure they are too, to believe MM when he says he's going to have Capers be a bit more offensive on the defensive side of the ball. (see what I did there?)

On another note, isn't this whole 'Kool-aid' drinking thing getting kind of old? It used to be amusing, but its become cliche'. Any positive argument no matter how correct, is met with the 'kool-aid' response. yadda yadda yadda. I have yet to read a comment that says this defense will be a top 5 defense in the league this year. Or that Capers is the best DC in the league. Had I read one of those, I'd be the first to throw out Kool-aid drinkers. But fans being optimistic on a website chatting about what improvements have been made or what losses the team might have endured during the off-season and what that might mean in the upcoming season, has nothing to do with your tiresome, built in 'kool-aid' response. Please find another anecdote to run into the ground.

Injuries, on the other hand. Please tell me what the coaching can do to fix the injury problems. As far as I know, the NFL mandates how many practices you can hold and how many days in row and all that mess. If I'm wrong on that, apologies good sir. The higher ups? Alright I might could get behind that, can you show me where our training staff is practicing unsafe and unrealistic stretching techniques? Or that their regimen is so far different than what other teams do, so much so that we need to find new ones? If so, problem solved! I'm not holding my breath. What else does that leave? Coincidence it seems, maybe its time to get over it?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I read somewhere the other day (twitter maybe?) that Raji was looking pretty good with his 'new' role trying to get after the passer and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads is wrong. I actually do agree with Wist on some of his criticisms, and I know a lot of other Packerrats do too. However I'm willing and I'm sure they are too, to believe MM when he says he's going to have Capers be a bit more offensive on the defensive side of the ball. (see what I did there?)

On another note, isn't this whole 'Kool-aid' drinking thing getting kind of old? It used to be amusing, but its become cliche'. Any positive argument no matter how correct, is met with the 'kool-aid' response. yadda yadda yadda. I have yet to read a comment that says this defense will be a top 5 defense in the league this year. Or that Capers is the best DC in the league. Had I read one of those, I'd be the first to throw out Kool-aid drinkers. But fans being optimistic on a website chatting about what improvements have been made or what losses the team might have endured during the off-season and what that might mean in the upcoming season, has nothing to do with your tiresome, built in 'kool-aid' response. Please find another anecdote to run into the ground.

Injuries, on the other hand. Please tell me what the coaching can do to fix the injury problems. As far as I know, the NFL mandates how many practices you can hold and how many days in row and all that mess. If I'm wrong on that, apologies good sir. The higher ups? Alright I might could get behind that, can you show me where our training staff is practicing unsafe and unrealistic stretching techniques? Or that their regimen is so far different than what other teams do, so much so that we need to find new ones? If so, problem solved! I'm not holding my breath. What else does that leave? Coincidence it seems, maybe its time to get over it?

Excellent point. People who offer optimistic points of view are "kool aid drinkers," and people who offer negative points of view are "telling it like it is." At least in some posters' worlds.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I read somewhere the other day (twitter maybe?) that Raji was looking pretty good with his 'new' role trying to get after the passer and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads is wrong.

I actually do agree with Wist on some of his criticisms, and I know a lot of other Packerrats do too. However I'm willing and I'm sure they are too, to believe MM when he says he's going to have Capers be a bit more offensive on the defensive side of the ball. (see what I did there?)

On another note, isn't this whole 'Kool-aid' drinking thing getting kind of old? It used to be amusing, but its become cliche'. Any positive argument no matter how correct, is met with the 'kool-aid' response. yadda yadda yadda. I have yet to read a comment that says this defense will be a top 5 defense in the league this year. Or that Capers is the best DC in the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Excellent point. People who offer optimistic points of view are "kool aid drinkers," and people who offer negative points of view are "telling it like it is." At least in some posters' worlds.
    Wait a minute... what, lol??

When have I ever said what you just said BZ?? That Raji should be eating up blockers and not being used as a penetrator??

I'm beginning to think those of you who criticize me, don't actually read what I write??!!

I want Raji to be a penetrator - it's what he does best. What he does not do best, is 2-gap, handle double teams, and eat up blocks... I've been saying that since he was drafted!! WTF??

Since 2011 I've argued he's been used incorrectly - just as everyone in the front (6-7) has been misused. It is TT and Capers who are not on the same page.

TT drafts Raji (a 1-gap penetrator), Perry (who will never be an OLB), D. Jones (who is a penetrator), Daniels (penetrator), et al - and then Capers misuses them. Raji in the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste - the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste!! Perry being played at OLB is straight out of the "square peg, round hole" school of doing things; and D. Jones and Daniels should be played as downlinemen in nickel pass rush situations - preferrably not the 2-4, lol...

Seriously, why do you guys blather off at the mouth assigning me positions I have not taken?? You may not like the tenor of my posts - but if you are going to attempt to argue against the position I've taken, you should at least read what I wrote - should you not??

----------------------------------------------------------

As for "Kool-Aid"... the reason some of you get that label is b/c you argue against a perfectly valid criticism (usually against Capers and the defense), as if the criticism is invalid, e.g. what Capers is doing, is the best that can be done!!

What you're left is - blaming the players (but not TT), and completely absolving Capers. That makes absolutely no sense... that's the Kool-Aid talking.
    wist

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Wait a minute... what, lol??

When have I ever said what you just said BZ?? That Raji should be eating up blockers and not being used as a penetrator??

I'm beginning to think those of you who criticize me, don't actually read what I write??!!

I want Raji to be a penetrator - it's what he does best. What he does not do best, is 2-gap, handle double teams, and eat up blocks... I've been saying that since he was drafted!! WTF??

Since 2011 I've argued he's been used incorrectly - just as everyone in the front (6-7) has been misused. It is TT and Capers who are not on the same page.

TT drafts Raji (a 1-gap penetrator), Perry (who will never be an OLB), D. Jones (who is a penetrator), Daniels (penetrator), et al - and then Capers misuses them. Raji in the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste - the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste!! Perry being played at OLB is straight out of the "square peg, round hole" school of doing things; and D. Jones and Daniels should be played as downlinemen in nickel pass rush situations - preferrably not the 2-4, lol...

Seriously, why do you guys blather off at the mouth assigning me positions I have not taken?? You may not like the tenor of my posts - but if you are going to attempt to argue against the position I've taken, you should at least read what I wrote - should you not??

----------------------------------------------------------

As for "Kool-Aid"... the reason some of you get that label is b/c you argue against a perfectly valid criticism (usually against Capers and the defense), as if the criticism is invalid, e.g. what Capers is doing, is the best that can be done!!

What you're left is - blaming the players (but not TT), and completely absolving Capers. That makes absolutely no sense... that's the Kool-Aid talking.

Whoa! Did I type what I was trying to say incorrectly? I thought I said Raji was looking good trying to penetrate (or get after the passer) and not just eat up blockers? Did I not say that?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

TT drafts Raji (a 1-gap penetrator), Perry (who will never be an OLB), D. Jones (who is a penetrator), Daniels (penetrator), et al - and then Capers misuses them. Raji in the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste - the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste!!
    Wist, I tend to agree with a lot of what you say, and sometimes I think you are a bit too negative about things. One area I don't agree with you though is this. Datone is a well rounded 3-4 DE. Look at his college game tape. He isn't just a penatrator. Perry also has all the skills necessary to be an effective OLB. His strength will never be coverage, but in our D, the OLB isn't supposed to be running across the field with a TE or a RB. He occupies a zone. I am pretty sure he can back peddle 4-7 yards and stand in an area. Many a lessor athlete has excelled doing it.

The drafting of Worthy and Daniels (who are primarily penetrators) was a direct response to losing Jenkins and the effect not having any pass rush from the DL. I am not sure what is going on with Perry, but I haven't totally thrown in the towel on him yet as he does flash at times.

Basically the thing that people get sick of is the all or nothing mentality. If you are Wist and Red then everything is hopeless and wrong. If we disagree with you we are totally opposite spectrum and guzzling Kool Aid. It would be nice if you would admit at some point that Capers has in the past, and is capable of fielding a top 10 or even 5 defense. He is not the coaching equivalent of Kurt Schottenheimer or Slocum. He has dealt with a lot of key injuries that mess up his plans.

For my part I am in full agreement with you that we continued to play WAY too much 2-4 long after the talent still standing didn't work very well with the alignment, and in situations that made me scratch my head like 2nd and goal from the 1. The truth (as often is the case) lies somewhere in the middle. Capers certainly could be better, but he is far from a bumbling moron who has no idea how to coach defense.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Wist, I tend to agree with a lot of what you say, and sometimes I think you are a bit too negative about things. One area I don't agree with you though is this. Datone is a well rounded 3-4 DE. Look at his college game tape. He isn't just a penatrator. Perry also has all the skills necessary to be an effective OLB. His strength will never be coverage, but in our D, the OLB isn't supposed to be running across the field with a TE or a RB. He occupies a zone. I am pretty sure he can back peddle 4-7 yards and stand in an area. Many a lessor athlete has excelled doing it.

The drafting of Worthy and Daniels (who are primarily penetrators) was a direct response to losing Jenkins and the effect not having any pass rush from the DL. I am not sure what is going on with Perry, but I haven't totally thrown in the towel on him yet as he does flash at times.

Basically the thing that people get sick of is the all or nothing mentality. If you are Wist and Red then everything is hopeless and wrong. If we disagree with you we are totally opposite spectrum and guzzling Kool Aid. It would be nice if you would admit at some point that Capers has in the past, and is capable of fielding a top 10 or even 5 defense. He is not the coaching equivalent of Kurt Schottenheimer or Slocum. He has dealt with a lot of key injuries that mess up his plans.

For my part I am in full agreement with you that we continued to play WAY too much 2-4 long after the talent still standing didn't work very well with the alignment, and in situations that made me scratch my head like 2nd and goal from the 1. The truth (as often is the case) lies somewhere in the middle. Capers certainly could be better, but he is far from a bumbling moron who has no idea how to coach defense.
    Well stated. I agree with what you say. I think most fans know there is something wrong, but do not necessarily agree upon the root cause. It would seem that MM knows that something is wrong as well, but has not yet made Capers pay with his job. If there is not significant improvement this year, MM knows he has to make a change. Does that mean that Capers will run less "Big Nickel"? Only they know. Do the personnel changes along the DL indicate that they will play the nickel differently?

I think we can all agree that stopping the run and winning the down and distance battle and dictating terms on third down is critical. Now they just need to find a way to do it.

As for Nickel sub, here is a cool article from 2010: http://blitzology.blogspot.com/2010/...o-package.html There's a video link of the Cowboy game where we dominated, which is cool. I believe it was KY who said they've got to get home when they send pressure. So true.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 08-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan