Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's 5th Round Pick... WR Trevor Davis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In one-on-one drills, practice-squad cornerback Robertson Daniel pressed close to the line of scrimmage. Davis went deep, catching a pass 30 yards downfield.

It looked like a flash of natural, physical ability. It was something more. In his first steps, Davis noticed Daniel was being “patient” with his go-route. Davis took a wide release off the line of scrimmage, avoiding Daniel’s contact.

Unfettered, his speed took over from there.

“He’s really fast,” Daniel said.

He wasn’t getting burned again. Next rep, Daniel backpedaled to guard against the deep ball. Davis sold the go route, avoided Daniel’s jam off the line of scrimmage. With Daniel’s momentum going backward, Davis stopped on a dime.

The football was in his hands when he turned around.

“That’s route running,” Daniel said, “and understanding who you’re going against. He understands his opponent. Because a lot of guys I go against sometimes just try to swivel their way by me. He was taking a lot of wide releases (to avoid press-man coverage). He was taking wide releases away from my reach out, away from my strike point. Which is really smart.”

That’s something else Davis was in his first NFL practice — quite smart, actually.

If his speed is the key to unlocking a spot on the 53-man roster, his route-running will determine whether he sees the field.

So near the end of his first practice, after Davis shook Daniel for a wide-open catch underneath, it was worth noting cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr.’s booming reaction.

“That’s a good route!” Whitt shouted. “That’s a good route!”
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...cess/84181302/

Ted knows Wide Receivers.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Ted knows Wide Receivers.
    but not tight ends.

Hey, where is Tank?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I can't wait for training camp and Davis versus Martinez - strike up the band!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck