Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBlues View Post

Yes, things would have went much smoother with a lot less drama if Favre would have either retired when Thompson pushed him towards it, or just sat on the bench as a second string to a freakin rookie. But we are talking about Brett Favre. While some may want to cherish memories of "Favre throwing his team under the bus" (lmao, really?) or for sending pics of his wiener to a cheerleader (like you have never sent a pic of your wiener to a cheerleader...),

I seriously think some of you are either to young to know what you are talking about, or you have a huge problem with empathy. If you were to put yourselves in Favre's shoes at the time that he left GB, if you were honest with yourselves, you would have likely have done a lot of the same things he did. Why stay with a team that is going to be rebuilding up until you retire? Especially, if you still feel that you have a few good years left in you? As for Favre going to the Jets, your damn right i would have made a back door deal with the Jets if I was in Favre's shoes. Why wouldnt Favre have wanted to play for the Vikings? I know damned well why Thompson didnt want Favre playing for the Vikings, lmao!!!! I have to wonder what might have been if Thompson had had the balls to simply release Favre, and put his money where his mouth was. Im guessing that if Favre hadnt had to waste a season playin for the Jets, he would have had one more ring....with the Vikings.

In the end, Favre was the same man that we all knew and loved, just in a different uniform. You cant blame him for wanting to continue to play, or for wanting to continue to win. The only thing you can bash him for, is for not allowing Thompson to push him into retirement, or for not wanting to sit on the bench for his last remaining couple of years. That is what it all really boils down to.

Oh, and as for Rodgers saying that it is past time for Favre to come back to the Packers so that they can retire his Jersey.......LMFAO. Get out of town with that garbage. Perhaps after M3 and Thompson are gone, lol.....but otherwise, I would just as soon see Favre retire as a Viking, its no less than some Packer "fans" deserve.
    The little problem with your logic above is that Favre DID retire. That left the team in kind of a stupid position, no? Also, as I recall, no one asked Favre to warm the bench, just to compete for the starting position. Speculation is that he may well have lost that competition and evidence in hindsight supports that position. Everyone knew he could still play, though not to the level he could when he was younger, and not in the cold in Lambeau with the season on the line it seems. So if they keep him, they lose Rodgers and we're sitting here now excoriating TT for letting the future walk out the door for an old QB who freezes when the mercury falls or let the dude go off to a dome where the weather isn't a factor. I'm pretty sure that they did the right thing, because Favre's final year was exactly as I'd have predicted. Beats us twice and then loses when it's all on the line. And you're right Favre is the same guy, but not the one you think. He's the guy who cheated on his wife repeatedly and got himself hooked on painkillers at the height of his success. The same guy who created a "will he or won't he" drama for how many years? By the time he actually retired (the first time, anyway) I was almost rooting for it because I was sick of the annual circus. The guy couldn't take a dump without the media focusing on him and he brought a whole lot of that on himself. So if he wants to retire a Viking, that's fine by me. They can retire his "Thanks Ted" jersey.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    The little problem with your logic above is that Favre DID retire. That left the team in kind of a stupid position, no? Also, as I recall, no one asked Favre to warm the bench, just to compete for the starting position. Speculation is that he may well have lost that competition and evidence in hindsight supports that position. Everyone knew he could still play, though not to the level he could when he was younger, and not in the cold in Lambeau with the season on the line it seems. So if they keep him, they lose Rodgers and we're sitting here now excoriating TT for letting the future walk out the door for an old QB who freezes when the mercury falls or let the dude go off to a dome where the weather isn't a factor. I'm pretty sure that they did the right thing, because Favre's final year was exactly as I'd have predicted. Beats us twice and then loses when it's all on the line. And you're right Favre is the same guy, but not the one you think. He's the guy who cheated on his wife repeatedly and got himself hooked on painkillers at the height of his success. The same guy who created a "will he or won't he" drama for how many years? By the time he actually retired (the first time, anyway) I was almost rooting for it because I was sick of the annual circus. The guy couldn't take a dump without the media focusing on him and he brought a whole lot of that on himself. So if he wants to retire a Viking, that's fine by me. They can retire his "Thanks Ted" jersey.
    You said it, sister!

from http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/bio/ ..........

Retirement and return (2008)

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement. On July 2, 2008, it was reported that Favre was in contact with the Packers about a possible return to the team. On July 11, 2008, Favre sent a letter to the Packers asking for his unconditional release to allow him to play for another NFL team. Packers general manager Ted Thompson announced he would not grant Favre an unconditional release and reaffirmed the organization's commitment to Aaron Rodgers as its new quarterback. Complicating matters was Favre's unique contract giving him the leverage to void any potential trade by not reporting to the camp of the team he might be traded to if the Packers elect to go that route.

Favre spoke publicly for the first time about his potential comeback in a July 14, 2008, interview with Greta Van Susteren on the Fox News Channel's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren. In the interview, Favre said he was "guilty of retiring early," that he was "never fully committed" to retirement, and that he was pressured by the Packers to make a decision before the NFL Draft and the start of the free agent signing period. Favre disputed the notion that he doesn't want to play for Green Bay and said that while he understands the organization has decided to move on, they should now allow him to do the same. He made clear that he would not return to the Packers as a backup and reiterated his desire to be released rather than traded, which would allow him the freedom to play for a competitive team. Favre also accused the Packers of being dishonest, wishing the team would have been straightforward with him and the public.

In the second part of the interview, which aired on July 15, Favre expressed his frustration with Packer management, spoke of his sympathy for successor Aaron Rodgers' predicament, and affirmed he is 100 percent committed to playing football in 2008.

Favre formally filed for reinstatement with the NFL on July 29, 2008, and his petition was granted by Commissioner Goodell, effective August 4, 2008. Favre then flew to Green Bay to report to Packers training camp. After a lengthy meeting with head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, however, both sides agreed it was time for Favre and the organization to part ways
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

We can all remember things differently, or revise history to suit our own arguments. The Packers did rebuild when Thompson came to town. Saying that they didnt just because the Packers went 13-3 during Favre's final year with the team is a lame argument. From what i recall of that year, Favre had a crap O-line to play behind with such greats as "The Human Turnstyle" playing in front of him. I honestly dont think any other QB could have produced a winning record with that team.

again, put yourselves in his shoes, its not like this all just happened out of the blue.

So, lets say that YOU are a professional QB in the NFL. The team YOU play for, hadnt even made it into a playoff game in over 10 years prior to YOUR arrival.
    YOU have played with that same team for 14 years, without missing one single start. YOU have played in two Super Bowls, YOU have won 3 consecutive MVP awards, YOU have set the NFL record for 13 consecutive winning seasons..........along with a number of other records, to many to mention. People refer to YOU as a Gunslinger, and always talk about how YOU play the QB position with so much heart and passion.

You have been through a lot with this team, but now, there is a new GM, and a new Head Coach. The GM has made it very clear to YOU, that he is going to rebuild, hoping that YOU will either retire, or stick around and do YOUR part to help sell tickets while the team works its way through the rebuilding process. Most if not all of the veteran players that YOU had played with have been cut or let go via free agency. YOU are nearly twice as old as most of the other players on the team and YOU want to chase one more Super Bowl before YOU retire. YOUR replacement has been drafted and is ready to play. YOU are sick of looking over YOUR shoulder, and the team decides it wants YOU in their past, not in their future (except maybe to help peddle merchandise, lol) The GM has told YOU that he will not release YOU outright, even though he thinks that the team has a better chance of winning with his #1 draft pick than with YOU at the QB position........and the new Head Coach agrees with the GM (can you say "yes man"?)
    In the previous couple of years, YOU have had to deal with YOUR Fathers death, YOUR wifes cancer scare, the accidental death of YOUR brother-in-law, and the destruction of the family home by way of Hurricane Katrina......and now YOU have to deal with this.

So, How would YOU have dealt with the situation, in a way that would be so much better than how Favre handled it? Please, step down from YOUR high-horse for a moment and enlighten us all as to what YOU would have done differently.

Personally, I would probably have sent a picture of MY weiner to a cheerleader and just moved on.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro

again, put yourselves in his shoes, its not like this all just happened out of the blue.

So, lets say that YOU ... YOU ...YOUR arrival.
    YOU ... YOU ...YOU ... YOU .... YOU play ... You have been through a lot with this team, but now, .... YOUR ... YOU ... YOU retire. YOUR ... YOU ... YOU ... YOU ... YOU ... YOU ... YOU ... YOUR wifes cancer scare, the accidental death of YOUR ... YOU ... YOU ... YOU....

...and just moved on.
    There is no "You" in team. Your post illustrates very clearly how obsessed Favre, and all his FFFs became focused primarily on him over the Packers. Very revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    There is no "You" in team. Your post illustrates very clearly how obsessed Favre, and all his FFFs became focused primarily on him over the Packers. Very revealing.
    Brett Favre seldom if ever placed himself above 'the Packers team'. How many many time does the record reflect that 'exact' TRUTH M.

A low blow and highly irrelevant response. M.

PackerBlues debates with a rifle and you need to resort to Mustard Gas.

This isn't desperate times nor places. This is merely an NFL Team (the PACKERS) fan forum with little really at stake in terms of how this debate will come down in the Green Bay Packer History book.

Ultimately the Packer fans that choose to see it clearly as Packerblues and I do see it. Will be justly rewarded.

Sadly the likes of you....won't.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

We can all remember things differently, or revise history to suit our own arguments. The Packers did rebuild when Thompson came to town. Saying that they didnt just because the Packers went 13-3 during Favre's final year with the team is a lame argument. From what i recall of that year, Favre had a crap O-line to play behind with such greats as "The Human Turnstyle" playing in front of him. I honestly dont think any other QB could have produced a winning record with that team.
    You are correct, we can all remember things differently.

I remember Favre playing very well that year, and being responsible for several big wins. But I also remember Favre playing that year behind a line that included Clifton and Tauscher at the tackles in the primes of their careers as 8th year pros, and Wells being the center just emerging as a solid starter. I remember Spitz being then uninjured, and looking to have a real future with the team at any one of the three inside positions, not a weak link at all. I remember the other guard to be the hot and cold Colledge, but a well-regarded prospect. I remember Favre playing with a running back who averaged 5+yds/carry running behind that O-line, getting nearly 1000 yards in basically 8-9 games. I remember Favre playing with a defense and special teams that scored 6 touchdowns. I remember Favre playing with a kicker who lead the league in scoring. I remember a defense that was among the best in points against and opponent QB rating. I remember a team that made big plays on defense and special teams at the ends of games, not just on offense.

...and you remember it as a team that couldn't have had a winning record but for Favre.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You are correct, we can all remember things differently.

I remember Favre playing very well that year, and being responsible for several big wins. But I also remember Favre playing that year behind a line that included Clifton and Tauscher at the tackles in the primes of their careers as 8th year pros, and Wells being the center just emerging as a solid starter. I remember Spitz being then uninjured, and looking to have a real future with the team at any one of the three inside positions, not a weak link at all. I remember the other guard to be the hot and cold Colledge, but a well-regarded prospect. I remember Favre playing with a running back who averaged 5+yds/carry running behind that O-line, getting nearly 1000 yards in basically 8-9 games. I remember Favre playing with a defense and special teams that scored 6 touchdowns. I remember Favre playing with a kicker who lead the league in scoring. I remember a defense that was among the best in points against and opponent QB rating. I remember a team that made big plays on defense and special teams at the ends of games, not just on offense.

...and you remember it as a team that couldn't have had a winning record but for Favre.
    Ahh the old Green Bay Favres. I used to love watching those 50 yard Favre to Favre bombs. Remember that game the Favres got 8 sacks?

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Ahh the old Green Bay Favres. I used to love watching those 50 yard Favre to Favre bombs. Remember that game the Favres got 8 sacks?
    According to the team photographer, Brent Favre, Favre only had one sack.

from http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/bio/ ..........

Retirement and return (2008)

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement. On July 2, 2008, it was reported that Favre was in contact with the Packers about a possible return to the team. On July 11, 2008, Favre sent a letter to the Packers asking for his unconditional release to allow him to play for another NFL team. Packers general manager Ted Thompson announced he would not grant Favre an unconditional release and reaffirmed the organization's commitment to Aaron Rodgers as its new quarterback. Complicating matters was Favre's unique contract giving him the leverage to void any potential trade by not reporting to the camp of the team he might be traded to if the Packers elect to go that route.

Favre spoke publicly for the first time about his potential comeback in a July 14, 2008, interview with Greta Van Susteren on the Fox News Channel's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren. In the interview, Favre said he was "guilty of retiring early," that he was "never fully committed" to retirement, and that he was pressured by the Packers to make a decision before the NFL Draft and the start of the free agent signing period. Favre disputed the notion that he doesn't want to play for Green Bay and said that while he understands the organization has decided to move on, they should now allow him to do the same. He made clear that he would not return to the Packers as a backup and reiterated his desire to be released rather than traded, which would allow him the freedom to play for a competitive team. Favre also accused the Packers of being dishonest, wishing the team would have been straightforward with him and the public.

In the second part of the interview, which aired on July 15, Favre expressed his frustration with Packer management, spoke of his sympathy for successor Aaron Rodgers' predicament, and affirmed he is 100 percent committed to playing football in 2008.

Favre formally filed for reinstatement with the NFL on July 29, 2008, and his petition was granted by Commissioner Goodell, effective August 4, 2008. Favre then flew to Green Bay to report to Packers training camp. After a lengthy meeting with head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, however, both sides agreed it was time for Favre and the organization to part ways
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

So, lets say that YOU are a professional QB in the NFL. The team YOU play for, hadnt even made it into a playoff game in over 10 years prior to YOUR arrival.
    YOU have played with that same team for 14 years, without missing one single start. YOU have played in two Super Bowls, YOU have won 3 consecutive MVP awards, YOU have set the NFL record for 13 consecutive winning seasons..........along with a number of other records, to many to mention. People refer to YOU as a Gunslinger, and always talk about how YOU play the QB position with so much heart and passion.

You have been through a lot with this team, but now, there is a new GM, and a new Head Coach. The GM has made it very clear to YOU, that he is going to rebuild, hoping that YOU will either retire, or stick around and do YOUR part to help sell tickets while the team works its way through the rebuilding process. Most if not all of the veteran players that YOU had played with have been cut or let go via free agency. YOU are nearly twice as old as most of the other players on the team and YOU want to chase one more Super Bowl before YOU retire. YOUR replacement has been drafted and is ready to play. YOU are sick of looking over YOUR shoulder, and the team decides it wants YOU in their past, not in their future (except maybe to help peddle merchandise, lol) The GM has told YOU that he will not release YOU outright, even though he thinks that the team has a better chance of winning with his #1 draft pick than with YOU at the QB position........and the new Head Coach agrees with the GM (can you say "yes man"?)
    In the previous couple of years, YOU have had to deal with YOUR Fathers death, YOUR wifes cancer scare, the accidental death of YOUR brother-in-law, and the destruction of the family home by way of Hurricane Katrina......and now YOU have to deal with this.

So, How would YOU have dealt with the situation, in a way that would be so much better than how Favre handled it? Please, step down from YOUR high-horse for a moment and enlighten us all as to what YOU would have done differently.

Personally, I would probably have sent a picture of MY weiner to a cheerleader and just moved on.
    WOW! WOW!! WOW !!!

You nailed it.

My deepest respect for 'YOU' PackerBlues.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau