Thread: Game lengths

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ESPN has an app you can download to a mobile device. Smart TVs have it as does AppleTV and maybe Roku or Chromecast. Not sure if FOX or CBS do this.

NBC runs a mutimedia access website during its games from their website. http://www.nbcsports.com/snf-all-acc...night-football
    That is where the alternative camera views live for their games.

If its an app, you usually need to activate access by choosing your cable provider and entering in an access code to activate the device.

Do you have DirecTV, pb? I think I've tried to login to ESPN Watch before but DirecTV feels like the only TV provider that doesn't have a contract with the app, which seems ridiculous considering how many people have it.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Do you have DirecTV, pb? I think I've tried to login to ESPN Watch before but DirecTV feels like the only TV provider that doesn't have a contract with the app, which seems ridiculous considering how many people have it.
    Nope. AT&T U-Verse.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Nope. AT&T U-Verse.
    In doing a bit of research, I've found that DirecTV does not in fact have a contract with ESPN to allow their subscribers to use this app. The likes of Wave Broadband and Walnut Communications (real companies apparently) have been able to get this done, but greedy DirecTV has not. I sincerely hope NFL Ticket someday is not a monopoly. I could have a much more useful TV subscriber if I didn't need NFL Ticket to watch the Packer games.

EDIT: Now please allow me a time of mourning as I realize I will never get to watch the game from these other angles. Without the announcers and with the camera actually on the field, you wouldn't have trouble keeping track of down and distance and would be more immersed in the game. Oh well.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I sincerely hope NFL Ticket someday is not a monopoly.
    DirecTV has a pretty limited monopoly if you think about it - full league coverage, which no one had pre-DirecTV. There's quite a bit of NFL coverage outside. But considering you want a specific App for special angle coverage which wasn't available for anyone since what - about 10 minutes ago - I bet if people start asking DirecTV to sponsor that app, it'll get done eventually.

The competition for DirecTV comes from other sources who have the ability to bid for the NFL coverages. You're never going to get a better deal if the 'monopoly' is broken up, unless some sort of law is passed requiring the NFL to sell it's product for less, because if they offer it to more carriers, there will have to be something in it for them, and that will get passed on to you.

I could see them perhaps offering more ala carte broadcasts, via multiple sources, but then the individual game costs will go up. Still, service providers generally try to use their exclusive rights to valuable product x to force carriers to accept bigger deals for more products. See for example Fox negotiations with Dish network.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

If I could subscribe to the Packers for 100 bucks and get all their games regardless of which carrier I had, I would do that in a heartbeat. There are some online things through the NFL but I don't believe any of them allow live broadcasting, plus I have to use my PC or hook it up to my TV and can't sit on the couch with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    DirecTV has a pretty limited monopoly if you think about it - full league coverage, which no one had pre-DirecTV. There's quite a bit of NFL coverage outside. But considering you want a specific App for special angle coverage which wasn't available for anyone since what - about 10 minutes ago - I bet if people start asking DirecTV to sponsor that app, it'll get done eventually.

The competition for DirecTV comes from other sources who have the ability to bid for the NFL coverages. You're never going to get a better deal if the 'monopoly' is broken up, unless some sort of law is passed requiring the NFL to sell it's product for less, because if they offer it to more carriers, there will have to be something in it for them, and that will get passed on to you.

I could see them perhaps offering more ala carte broadcasts, via multiple sources, but then the individual game costs will go up. Still, service providers generally try to use their exclusive rights to valuable product x to force carriers to accept bigger deals for more products. See for example Fox negotiations with Dish network.
    You would immediately get a better value by offering NFL Ticket on more than one platform, regardless of the ask set by the monopoly that is the NFL.

More people would be able to access it, for one thing. Even the streaming option available is not available to anyone unless you meet the criteria of living in New York, Chicago or 10 University towns.

DirectTV also pays more than any other broadcast partner per subscriber. This exclusive content is the most distinguishing feature of its cable package. If all broadband providers could access the programming, the leverage to subscribe to the service would decline and prices would be more competitive. The NFL might not change its ask, but the providers would need to adjust their margins. You might also see a lowering of the tier you need to have in order to access the service.

The reason its not more available is fear of the broadcast networks of a decline in local ratings. Its classic monopolistic behavior, there is just an intermediate party wedged in the middle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.