Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: An Attempt At Discussing McCarthy's Future

An Attempt At Discussing McCarthy's Future

I think most of us are in agreence that McCarthy (and Capers) playcalling is what largely cost us this game. Too conservative, too scared, lacking balls, etc.

But the questions becomes: What are we going to do about?

McCarthy is a fantastic man, motivator, and developer of talent. That being said, in the NFL today, you can't win on being a good guy with a hearty laugh and good morals. We have one of the best QBs to play the game and we're squandering it year after year. That isn't all on McCarthy, not by any means, but I'm just gonna throw some things out there as food for thought. These are just my opinions and I am by no means stating these as facts:

1. If you take away the Super Bowl run in 2010, he's 3-6 in the playoffs. 3 of those losses have come at home.

2. While overseeing a high-scoring offense, I don't think anybody would argue that he is a good playcaller. He has benefited from fantastic talent around him and he has Ted to thank for that.

3. His attitude causes some concern. Watch the postgame press conferences from both Rodgers and McCarthy. Rodgers clearly took issue with the playcalling, but ultimately says the whole team takes responsibility. McCarthy churned out some hoo-rah we played hard and Seattle made great plays, what a game. He also refused to question his playcalling.

4. He has not shown any huge improvements as a coach. Some coaches you can actively see improving over the years. With Mike, I think what you see now is what you will always have.

5. As a Florida Gator, I will point out two notes on coaches. We fired Will Muschamp because, although he was well-liked, a fantastic man, and a great motivator, he wasn't delivering results. We expect success and don't accept moral victories year after year. This year, Ohio State won a championship with our old coach, Urban Meyer. Ohio State does not win that title if Urban isn't their coach. He willed them to that title and is proof of the impact elite coaching can have on a team.

So, with that being said, how long of a leash do you give Mike? This team is too talented to miss out on playoffs, but an attitude of just making it year after year only to fall one or two games short isn't pleasing anybody. When do you say enough is enough?
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Wow....they are coming out of the woodwork. Father or son?
    C.H.U.D.

McCarthy isn't going to sit on the playcalling couch to discuss his approach with the media.

I actually think Rodgers has taken some liberties with his relationship with the coach in the media and M3 needs to sit on him.

Perhaps if the League MVP can look back at his off target throws and find something else to work on this offseason.*

*last one is a cheap shot as he is playing hurt.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Is this the mature alternative to the "The difference between a good coach and bad coach" thread?

Blog Entries
    McCarthy's future is bright. 4 straight division championships, Super Bowl victory, 3 NFC Championships (I think). One of the highest winning percentages in coaching. Top 10 offenses every damn year. A few guys that need to be re-upped I'd say but if that happens along with a decent draft class, combined with Seattle's likely attrition, Brady and Manning hitting their end, I'd say the Packers have a good chance at going into next year as Super Bowl favorites. If Cobb and Bulaga are back along with a couple more guys, I'd put them ahead of the Colts next year myself.

I don't think you can even consider firing McCarthy. He put this team in position to win a game in Seattle that most Packer fans weren't expecting us to win. It is dumb to take away his successful Super Bowl run...IT HAPPENED. No reason to exclude it and focus only on the failures.

However, there are some valid points regarding his shortcomings...and whether or not we've seen any IMPROVEMENT in those areas over the last 3-4 years. Who is going to hold McCarthy accountable to improve in those areas? Does Thompson understand enough about coaching to challenge McCarthy?

I think it is clear after this epic loss that some big changes need to be made. That doesn't mean taking playcalling away from McCarthy or firing Capers...but when your team as a whole fails MULTIPLE TIMES when it counts on the NFCC game stage, and many of those failures came in areas that have been areas of concern for some time, you can't just "keep on keeping on".
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I actually think Rodgers has taken some liberties with his relationship with the coach in the media and M3 needs to sit on him.
    I dunno...that could cause further injury to his calf. McCarthy is starting to get rather hefty.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    If Cobb and Bulaga are back along with a couple more guys, I'd put them ahead of the Colts next year myself.
    Oh goodie! We are ahead of a team who just lost 45-7.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I dunno, Stubby seems to improve with the health of his players. even today, there were a ton of yards left on the field because Rodgers couldn't run.

Everyone - and most people here, myself included - thought the Seachickens were gonna win. Stubby and his staff punked the shit outta Seattle for 55 minutes and then collapsed with as absurd a collection of errors and odd circumstances as you'll ever see. Good coaches don't make the playoffs 6 straight years. Great coaches do. Stubby has proven himself a great coach. Until he starts winning 5-6 games/year for several years, he's gonna stay in GB. Watch today's game again and you'll see a coach who adapted well to the defense he had to play. It just collapsed horribly.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I don't think you can even consider firing McCarthy. He put this team in position to win a game in Seattle that most Packer fans weren't expecting us to win. It is dumb to take away his successful Super Bowl run...IT HAPPENED. No reason to exclude it and focus only on the failures.

However, there are some valid points regarding his shortcomings...and whether or not we've seen any IMPROVEMENT in those areas over the last 3-4 years. Who is going to hold McCarthy accountable to improve in those areas? Does Thompson understand enough about coaching to challenge McCarthy?

I think it is clear after this epic loss that some big changes need to be made. That doesn't mean taking playcalling away from McCarthy or firing Capers...but when your team as a whole fails MULTIPLE TIMES when it counts on the NFCC game stage, and many of those failures came in areas that have been areas of concern for some time, you can't just "keep on keeping on".
    I don't think you can fire McCarthy either. I'm pissed about how he coached today, and his status as an "elite" coach certainly took a shot with today's debacle.

But look at some of those other highly regarded coaches out there that are now retired such as Dungy and Cowher. Only 2 SB championships between them (and a lot of coming up short moments) but they had ridiculously long tenures with their respective teams.

That being said, the Packers need to hope that MM takes a good look at his own in-game strategies and makes an active attempt to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I dunno, Stubby seems to improve with the health of his players. even today, there were a ton of yards left on the field because Rodgers couldn't run.

Everyone - and most people here, myself included - thought the Seachickens were gonna win. Stubby and his staff punked the shit outta Seattle for 55 minutes and then collapsed with as absurd a collection of errors and odd circumstances as you'll ever see. Good coaches don't make the playoffs 6 straight years. Great coaches do. Stubby has proven himself a great coach. Until he starts winning 5-6 games/year for several years, he's gonna stay in GB. Watch today's game again and you'll see a coach who adapted well to the defense he had to play. It just collapsed horribly.
    And his healthy players beat the crap out of the Seachickens for 50 minutes.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    And his healthy players beat the crap out of the Seachickens for 50 minutes.
    More like 52 minutes, 48 seconds.

The Semen scored 15 points in 45 seconds, according to Homer's reckoning

There will be no changes... Ted doesn't make rash decisions.

They'll rationalize that the coaching decisions played no role in the loss - they'll cash their paychecks, and we'll see everyone again next fall.
    wist

"That being said, the Packers need to hope that MM takes a good look at his own in-game strategies and makes an active attempt to fix it."

Yep!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk View Post
    So, with that being said, how long of a leash do you give Mike? This team is too talented to miss out on playoffs, but an attitude of just making it year after year only to fall one or two games short isn't pleasing anybody. When do you say enough is enough?
    Once I become rational again in a few days, after I talk to Cleveland Brown fans for a reality check, I will reflect on all the fun in this season. I will be very pleased at all the wins I got to watch. Falling short is not fun, but all but one have to experience it every year. So get used to it.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Once I become rational again in a few days, after I talk to Cleveland Brown fans for a reality check, I will reflect on all the fun in this season. I will be very pleased at all the wins I got to watch. Falling short is not fun, but all but one have to experience it every year. So get used to it.
    Me too, I think. As I just told my wife, it is not that they lost, it is how they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by domey View Post
    Me too, I think. As I just told my wife, it is not that they lost, it is how they lost.
    It was the most painful loss in the history of sports. I'm not joking.

But shit, every season ends with a loss - if you are good enough to make playoffs and don't win Super Bowl.

This too shall pass, like a kidney stone.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    McCarthy's future is bright. 4 straight division championships, Super Bowl victory, 3 NFC Championships (I think). One of the highest winning percentages in coaching. Top 10 offenses every damn year. A few guys that need to be re-upped I'd say but if that happens along with a decent draft class, combined with Seattle's likely attrition, Brady and Manning hitting their end, I'd say the Packers have a good chance at going into next year as Super Bowl favorites. If Cobb and Bulaga are back along with a couple more guys, I'd put them ahead of the Colts next year myself.
    and Mike McCarthy will still be THE SAME MIKE MCCARTHY.

He won't get his team another Super Bowl win unless he makes some serious changes.

That man has to first and foremost hold himself responsible for that loss today.

That's a decent and understandable start.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Make sure the discussion about his future covers how Capers had to adjust to this:

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 48m48 minutes ago
    CM3 said "medley of things" caught up w/ him late. Worked w/ trainers to get back "I have enough time to rest now so dont feel sorry for me"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Oh goodie! We are ahead of a team who just lost 45-7.
    Seattle and New England have challenges to maintaining elite status. Colts are at least near the top, trending that way with a young franchise qb.

Who else you got as favorites? Dallas? They have a bunch of questions this offseason. Arizona? maybe but that's debatable. Baltimore? perhaps.