Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I have dumped a pretty good chunk into amazon as well. I lost initially and cost averaged down, now I'm up about 20%. I'm holding it for a while yet as I think $200-$250 is a slam dunk within 2-3 years. I'll probably issue calls for about 1/4 my position at $160 as I think tech is going to stagnate for the rest of the year. Those should expire worthless and let me pocket some cash, but if not I'll liquidate some stock at a nice profit.

A really good play is Lincoln National. Its an insurance company. At the risk of introducing politics, the massive spike in deaths of 18-45 year olds is subsiding. I opened a position at about $21 and wrote some put options for $19 that are about to expire (I kind of wanted to be forced to buy more at that price). I just see this as a rock paying a 7% dividend. I'm not saying its going up 50% or anything like that, but a stable 7% with some capital upside is where you should try to live.

There is a lot of value in the market right now, but I'm pretty much all in. I have to liquidate something to open new positions and I like everything I have right now.

Out of curiousity Bobble, what tech stocks/high upside stocks do you really like at today's prices ?

Not to be boring, but I am thinking of adding to both AMZN and GOGGLE but I love researching new ideas/stocks as well
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Out of curiousity Bobble, what tech stocks/high upside stocks do you really like at today's prices ?

Not to be boring, but I am thinking of adding to both AMZN and GOGGLE but I love researching new ideas/stocks as well
    I am sort of out of the growth market. I hate paying for projected growth. I like Amazon more than the rest and its literally my only non dividend paying stock. Income/cash flow is king. No investor in history has proven adept at guessing which growth stocks will break through and outpace the market. And honestly even though I have a decent track record (I rode Apple for a nice run, ET when it was down at $4 up to $17 and others) It was always like 3% of my portfolio.

I have something like 47 stocks in my portfolio and they cover a lot of sectors. My average dividend for the entire portfolio is over 7% (partly because the base value of the stocks are down over the last 2 years).

I love stalwart MLPs like EPD and ET. They are cash cows that aren't going anywhere despite efforts to end big oil. Stable BDCs like OBDC and ARCC with monster dividends near 10%. My biggest single position is an actively managed preferred fund PFFA that has over a 10% dividend. And a couple really nice triple net lease plays VICI and O with growing rock solid 5% dividends. Oh, and USB (US Bank) is over 5% qualified dividend that tanked when that bank in CA went under. That kind of thing just shows the irrational nature of the market. USB doesn't have a risk manager that graduated in diversity studies. They aren't even wiggled by the things that caused that failure, yet the market sold off the entire financial sector.

If you want some good exposure to Tech/Growth I would probably just grab QQQ (nasdaq ETF). You will get the winners and losers alike, but the entire sector is growing. If you are not looking for income from your investments then it likely will outperform most other investments over the next 10 years. Oh....and Amazon. They are going through a renaissance of sorts and I think they are positioned like Apple was when people were wondering "what will they do now that everyone has an iPhone".
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Oh...I should have added my favorite saying. Investing is the polar opposite of sex. Sex should be spontaneous, crazy and exciting. Investing should be well thought out, rational and boring. Boring is good. Be boring and rich. It beats exciting and poor.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.