Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The appeal with Tolzien last year was that he was practice squad eligible. That is gone for him now.
    BTW, what's the point of having eligibility requirements for the practice squad? Why not just let anybody be eligible?

All I can think of is that the player's union hates the practice squad because it takes away real jobs with real good pay.

As a fan, I just want larger rosters so there is a better product on the field. Maybe less player movement. Practice squads help stabilize things in a small way

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    BTW, what's the point of having eligibility requirements for the practice squad? Why not just let anybody be eligible?

All I can think of is that the player's union hates the practice squad because it takes away real jobs with real good pay.

As a fan, I just want larger rosters so there is a better product on the field. Maybe less player movement. Practice squads help stabilize things in a small way
    Since the player is free to sign with anyone either on a practice squad or a regular roster after he is released from a training camp roster; and since he is free to leaving the practice squad to go to any team's regular roster, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to limit eligibility, does there?

Maybe this is the league and union trying to have a decent apprenticeship program.