Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Would Winfield be a nice get? Sure! Problem is, he's not coming to GB. Well, it's about 2% likely to happen.
    He's far more likely to stay with TB and its beaches and lack of income tax, else he'll get a fat paycheck from a team looking for a safety with cap space like DET. Hell, CHI has gobs of cap space to overpay him with.

I'm betting they draft 1-2 safeties and sign someone like Jordan Fuller and/or Rudy Ford to be the vets. Even Rudy Ford is doubtful, dude is 29 and Gute will want to get younger at safety. Besides, at one point they essentially benched Ford for Owens and that... didn't do much.
    Savage is a great athlete who doesn't tackle or cover all that well, Owens is a slower version of Ford; I wish them well but there's no reason to bring them back.

Ballantine would be my choice for depth as an end of bench/ST guy, but that's it. He'd be a cheap guy who's a half-step above a Practice Squadder.

The "fact" that Nixon, Savage and Njiman had void money hit the cap does not make their odds of resigning with the team very good. It does NOT eliminate them, but after what we saw in 2023 I doubt they are back.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ap/ar-BB1iy3Nq

All these guys are meh, and now they are older. You know what you have and it's not great, no point bringing that back regardless of scheme.

The depth at corner isn't great because you don't have Rasul anymore, plus Jaire/Stokes injuries are a concern. If Nixon's not back, your room looks pretty empty.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Would Winfield be a nice get? Sure! Problem is, he's not coming to GB. Well, it's about 2% likely to happen.
    He's far more likely to stay with TB and its beaches and lack of income tax, else he'll get a fat paycheck from a team looking for a safety with cap space like DET. Hell, CHI has gobs of cap space to overpay him with.

I'm betting they draft 1-2 safeties and sign someone like Jordan Fuller and/or Rudy Ford to be the vets. Even Rudy Ford is doubtful, dude is 29 and Gute will want to get younger at safety. Besides, at one point they essentially benched Ford for Owens and that... didn't do much.
    Savage is a great athlete who doesn't tackle or cover all that well, Owens is a slower version of Ford; I wish them well but there's no reason to bring them back.

Ballantine would be my choice for depth as an end of bench/ST guy, but that's it. He'd be a cheap guy who's a half-step above a Practice Squadder.

The "fact" that Nixon, Savage and Njiman had void money hit the cap does not make their odds of resigning with the team very good. It does NOT eliminate them, but after what we saw in 2023 I doubt they are back.

All these guys are meh, and now they are older. You know what you have and it's not great, no point bringing that back regardless of scheme.

The depth at corner isn't great because you don't have Rasul anymore, plus Jaire/Stokes injuries are a concern. If Nixon's not back, your room looks pretty empty.
    Good post. My summary....there is no reason not to try to upgrade everyone of those spots on the roster with someone younger and cheaper. The only chance of re signing any of them is if we whiff finding a younger cheaper player AND they are available for vet minimum contracts.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post

You didn't mention Valentine who (to my knowledge) is on the active roster, not a FA, and who did a damn good job as a starting Corner - arguably as good or better than Jaire last season. With him, Jaire, Stokes, and probably Nixon, we aren't too bad off. Just the same, I'm fairly sure we draft somebody, maybe even in the first round.

I'm also pretty sure Ford went out of the lineup due to injury. Ford ran a 4.34 40, although it was a long time ago. He's a different body type than Owens who is the kind of big Safety I tend to prefer. Both Owens and Ford did damn good last year IMO, #36 Johnson too. It seems like you're one of those "grass is greener somewhere else" kind of guys hahahaha. A LOT of teams with better coaching do well with personnel no better than the Packer DBs. Probably we draft a Safety too, though, not very early IMO.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?