Thread: Analysis: The Fangio Defense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I guess Joe Barry is considered a disciple of Fangio hahahaha. I don't remember those Bear defenses under Fangio or anybody else for that matter using D Linemen basically to block like O Linemen to allow ILBs space to make tackles on run plays. I also don't recall Fangio Bear Ds using those ILBs as the primary coverage people in the short middle zone. I do recall Fangio D going all out for pass rush, often getting beat by smart and/or mobile QBs like Rodgers (or DeVito or Mayfield hahahaha). On that last one, I guess you could say Barry does do it like Fangio, but that's not a selling point.
    Jesus had disciples, too. Some were worse than others. If Vic Fangio invited his to supper, the family photo would show Joe Barely sitting at the edge of the kids’ table.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Jesus had disciples, too. Some were worse than others. If Vic Fangio invited his to supper, the family photo would show Joe Barely sitting at the edge of the kids’ table.
    Someone posted stats on twitter this past week stats on how DC's running the Fangio defense are doing this year. The only one doing really well is Fangio.

Found It:

Wendell Ferreira
    @wendellfp
    Fangio-style defenses by DVOA:

Dolphins: 13th
    Rams: 21st
    Eagles: 22nd
    Panthers: 27th
    Chargers: 28th
    Packers: 29th

If your scheme needs a combination of Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald or Fangio himself to succeed, I bring you some bad news.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 12-20-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Someone posted stats on twitter this past week stats on how DC's running the Fangio defense are doing this year. The only one doing really well is Fangio.

Found It:
    And this is what I said somewhere else. Some guys see things and understand them, others mimic success while not understanding why it was successful. If I told you that the key to a roulette payout was the bet minus 10%, that's easy to memorize. If you looked at the odds and understood the algebra behind it you would have an understanding.

Fangio understands defense. Barry memorizes concepts.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.