Thread: Why McGinn Retired: His Memory Is Gone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    McGann...McGinn....name rings a bell, but I just can't place the guy. Milwaukee politician? Actor?

Rodgers was pretty bad when he arrived. He had to retool his mechanics. Other Tedford guys flamed out. Rodgers was lucky to have time and a QB guru who knew what they hell he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    McGann...McGinn....name rings a bell, but I just can't place the guy. Milwaukee politician? Actor?

Rodgers was pretty bad when he arrived. He had to retool his mechanics. Other Tedford guys flamed out. Rodgers was lucky to have time and a QB guru who knew what they hell he was doing.
    Agreed. Rodgers had the luxury of time; something I thought organizations would learn from - they draft talented kids, but don't give them time to develop, and many of them flunk out.

But that comment is in no way a criticism of Rodgers; it's an indictment of football culture today.

I do think Rodgers learned a lot from Favre, both what to do and what not to do, but he learned by standing back and paying attention, not because kindly ol' Brent took the kid under his wing.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Agreed. Rodgers had the luxury of time; something I thought organizations would learn from - they draft talented kids, but don't give them time to develop, and many of them flunk out.

But that comment is in no way a criticism of Rodgers; it's an indictment of football culture today.
    There are precious few HC jobs, so if you are say, John Fox, and you want to coach again and Chicago is your best option, then you go there knowing that they don't have a franchise QB. That sucks, relative to what other coaches have to work with like MM, Belichick, Tomlin, etc.

Those are two very different situations by which to come into a head coaching job. Fox may likely be on the treadmill that many of these head coaches are on. Once they finally draft the guy they have tabbed as the "franchise QB", the team is desperate for a turn-around, and you almost have to cast your lot with the young guy, unless you can get a stop-gap vet, which also may not work out. I'm not sure what took the Rams so long to try and find one, but by that point, Fisher had no shot of a turn-around.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

Those are two very different situations by which to come into a head coaching job. Fox may likely be on the treadmill that many of these head coaches are on. Once they finally draft the guy they have tabbed as the "franchise QB", the team is desperate for a turn-around, and you almost have to cast your lot with the young guy, unless you can get a stop-gap vet, which also may not work out. I'm not sure what took the Rams so long to try and find one, but by that point, Fisher had no shot of a turn-around.
    No doubt many QBs would benefit from the beginning Rodgers was afforded. Obviously it's not a magic bullet and doesn't mean they'd all end up viable NFL QBs, but it would greatly help many.

Hardly a new question, but what would of happened with Rodgers if he had gone #1 overall to the 49ers?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    No doubt many QBs would benefit from the beginning Rodgers was afforded. Obviously it's not a magic bullet and doesn't mean they'd all end up viable NFL QBs, but it would greatly help many.

Hardly a new question, but what would of happened with Rodgers if he had gone #1 overall to the 49ers?
    The fact that this is not done more often is another argument for the fact that some teams are not actually trying their best to be the best.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The fact that this is not done more often is another argument for the fact that some teams are not actually trying their best to be the best.
    that and not looking at Kaepernick? lol

I wouldn't say teams are not doing their best, but that it's hard for the coaching staff/GM to take the long view. If Favre had retired, say, after the 4-12 season you can be pretty sure Rodgers is under center week 1 of 2005.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    that and not looking at Kaepernick? lol

I wouldn't say teams are not doing their best, but that it's hard for the coaching staff/GM to take the long view. If Favre had retired, say, after the 4-12 season you can be pretty sure Rodgers is under center week 1 of 2005.
    The long view is what leadership in the front office and ownership should be providing. I agree 5 year contracts and 3 year windows of judgement make that tough.

Did McKenzie get to sit Carr for a year?

What is funny is that the sit for a year chorus died out (despite having Dan Marino and sort of John Elway on its side) as QB contracts soared early in the draft.

That did not stop teams from draft QBs high and playing them right away.

The 2011 CBA stopped the ever escalating contracts but the QB acquisition and playing time model has not yet adjusted.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.