Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Vince already posted on Isbell in the Legends thread here: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...l=1#post533076

Here's a video of both Isbell and Herber in action:

[CHECK OUT THE AFTER-TOUCHDOWN HANDSHAKE IN THE ENDZONE. I've seen Packers' WR's shake hands like that in games this year. Could the handshake be our guys' nod to old timers like Isbell, Laws and Hutson? AND HOW ABOUT THOSE GOAL POSTS!]

And here are some pictures:

And a really good article comparing Isbell with his more famous counterparts, Sid Luckman and Sammy Baugh: http://www.profootballresearchers.or...27-06-1104.pdf
    Isbell joined the Packers after leading the College All Stars to a 28-16 victory over Sammy Baugh’s Redskins in 1938. The Packers already had an All-League tailback in Arnie Herber, but Isbell was so talented that the two generally would alternate for Cecil’s first three years in the league. Sometimes both would play at the same time and occasionally even would throw passes to each other. Slow-footed Herber caught two touchdown passes from Cecil in 1938.
    So does Cecil Isbell belong in the Hall of Fame? No, his career was too short. The above numbers indicate, though, that Curly Lambeau was not off-base when he said that Isbell was the best passer he ever saw. Isbell was the master at any range. He could throw soft passes, bullet passes, or feathery lobs. He was the best with Sid Luckman of the Bears a close second and Sammy Baugh of the Redskins a long third. Luckman wasn’t as versatile and Baugh coudn’t compare on the long ones.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    They shared the QB position for three years. Herber played much longer and was voted to the NFL's "All 1930s" team, so I figured he must be the real legend. But I see now that Isbell was special too. Herber should have retired, then threatened to play for the Duluth Eskimos if Curly didn't let him return and play ahead of Isbell.

Hmmm, Isbell pushes TJ Rubley off of the Big Eight list, tis a shame. There's something wrong with a list that has Bart Starr as only the 4th best QB in Packer history.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    There's something wrong with a list that has Bart Starr as only the 4th best QB in Packer history.
    Especially since there's been a sportswriter or two that have called Starr the best QB in NFL history.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

dp
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 10-23-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Vince already posted on Isbell in the Legends thread here: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...l=1#post533076

[CHECK OUT THE AFTER-TOUCHDOWN HANDSHAKE IN THE ENDZONE. I've seen Packers' WR's shake hands like that in games this year. Could the handshake be our guys' nod to old timers like Isbell, Laws and Hutson? AND HOW ABOUT THOSE GOAL POSTS!]

And here are some pictures:

And a really good article comparing Isbell with his more famous counterparts, Sid Luckman and Sammy Baugh: http://www.profootballresearchers.or...27-06-1104.pdf

What's with all the throwing off the back foot? And why are milk men acting as referees?

As for the list...CHFF did a list a couple years ago, I think, and Bart Starr (based on their formula) was the greatest NFL quarterback...in all NFL history. Not just for the Packers. So, for me, watching Starr as I grew up (admittedly toward the end of his career), here is my list:

1. Bart Starr
    2. Aaron Rodgers
    3. Brent Favre
    4. Cecil Isbell (just because I saw Maxie's video)
    5. Lynn Dickey
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack