Thread: TT has quietly put together a very strong off season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Two thoughts:

1) I think he picked position of needs without reaching at those positions. Each guy was reasonably assessed to go where or before they were picked.
    2) I think TT understood the weakness and strength of the draft. By signing a free agent at a position that was weak in the draft (TE) with a reasonable alternative (Cook), he didn't have to reach for a player ahead of where his value lied. By not signing a free agent at a position that was strong in the draft (DT), he got a reasonable alternative (Clark) without affecting the long-term salary cap situation of the team.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Two thoughts:

1) I think he picked position of needs without reaching at those positions. Each guy was reasonably assessed to go where or before they were picked.
    2) I think TT understood the weakness and strength of the draft. By signing a free agent at a position that was weak in the draft (TE) with a reasonable alternative (Cook), he didn't have to reach for a player ahead of where his value lied. By not signing a free agent at a position that was strong in the draft (DT), he got a reasonable alternative (Clark) without affecting the long-term salary cap situation of the team.
    Exactly, he used ALL options open to him:

- free agency as described above;
    - the draft without reaching to meet a need; and
    - a trade to acquire a more desired player than he might otherwise have had available to him.