Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers vs. Lions Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think MM should consider diplomacy for this one. Perhaps we can negotiate a tie. Anything to keep the soft delicate bodies of our players out of the ring with those physical Lions brutes.
    I doubt the Lions would let him off the hook for anything less than a negotiated ten point loss. In reality that is a gift that MM should jump at. There are still 13 weeks left to be played, and this would be accepting the inevitable and avoiding a week's worth of season-ending injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Overall, at home?? Yes, Detroit is probably better than we are. I know that is sacireligous to say, but it is nonetheless a very supportable position.
    The next time Detroit wins a playoff game, it might supportable. Detroit is a mess in the secondary and their O-line is worse than the Packers O-line. They have the clear advantage on the DLine and TE, but where else?

Also, no you can't pick and choose what stats you use to support your theory. Fat Stafford has 10 yards on 5 carries and a TD so take that off the Detroit total then.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    They'll struggle to stop us?!?!? What are you talking about, the Packers offense is the worst in the league. Any success it might have is the result of dumb luck or smoke and mirrors. The Packer QB and receivers are worse than its secondary. Oh, and the sky is falling---again!.
    I have us putting up 31 pts against them... as for our defense against their offense?? Yes, we are better on defense this year from last - we're not running that idiotic 2-4 as our base; but, last year in their place??

We gave up 40 pts and 561 yds to them. 320 passing, 241 rushing.

I think it will be a much more competitive game - how can it not with Rodgers playing? Add Rodgers into the mix with an improved defense, and we're in the game, but I still think we lose.

If we can beat Detroit in Detroit?? Maybe it will indicate our arrow is pointing up, and we can make something of this season - but dunderdummy isn't at all trustworthy, and MM is very stubborn about his 3 zone running plays... so I think we struggle until those 2 get their shit together.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    The next time Detroit wins a playoff game, it might supportable. Detroit is a mess in the secondary and their O-line is worse than the Packers O-line. They have the clear advantage on the DLine and TE, but where else?
    Megatron is Megatron, and Stafford is a damn good QB. He can be up and down, but when he's on?? He'll light us up good... and Golden Tate is a very good WR2.

Add to their DL their LB's. I like Levy a lot... he's turned into a very good, very tough player. Their front seven as a whole is light years better than our - good enough to make the difference.

Yes they are a flawed team - but so are we. So there it is - who can mask their weaknesses, and take advantage of their strengths best is who will win. In their place?? I like them to beat us in a high scoring game.

Sans the Kool-aid, outside of Homerland?? That is a common take on this game.
    wist

They'll struggle to stop us?!?!? What are you talking about, the Packers offense is the worst in the league. Any success it might have is the result of dumb luck or smoke and mirrors. The Packer QB and receivers are worse than its secondary. Oh, and the sky is falling---again!.
    I looked for an old Tank McNamara comic where the Lions changed the game time but didn't tell the Bears. The Bears showed up at halftime, and the Lions were only up 21-0! *rofl*
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Megatron is Megatron, and Stafford is a damn good QB. He can be up and down, but when he's on?? He'll light us up good... and Golden Tate is a very good WR2.

Add to their DL their LB's. I like Levy a lot... he's turned into a very good, very tough player. Their front seven as a whole is light years better than our - good enough to make the difference.

Yes they are a flawed team - but so are we. So there it is - who can mask their weaknesses, and take advantage of their strengths best is who will win. In their place?? I like them to beat us in a high scoring game.

Sans the Kool-aid, outside of Homerland?? That is a common take on this game.
    Golden Tate is a mediocre #2 receiver IMO. Seattle let him walk without much of a struggle and they aren't exactly stacked at WR. Their #3 is Jeremy Ross? I'd take all of the Packers WRs over the Lions' except Johnson. Stafford is good, but not Rodgers good. Reggie Bush is who we've seen for 6-7 years now. Decent runner, good receiver. I'd take the GB RB group there, but not by much.

Hard to compare 3-4 (2-5, 1-6, amoeba...whatever) LBs to a 4-3 but as a group it's close I suppose. Give the Packers a good MLB and it's not nearly as close.

Packers secondary is better. I'm not sure even Lions fans would argue that.

You put a lot of stock in a team's Dline so that's probably your line of thinking on the matter?

How many NFL teams have two starters on the defensive line as bad as Datone Jones and Letroy Guion? I'm guessing none.

That said, I expect both those guys to get better through the season. And if Guion plateaus maybe Pennel can do the job by end of regular season.

Jumbo Rat HOFer

Rodgers or no Rodgers, the last time we played them there - the stomped the living crap out of us 40-10, and the game wasn't even that close!!

And even if they are only favored by 1 - they are still favored. You guys act like it is insane to think we could lose to the Lions in Detroit
    It is the Rodgers or no Rodgers comments that make the rest of what you write useless. You are so blind to what you want to see that you can't even admit that the Packers are a different team with ARod under center than Flynn.

Yes, last year we got our ass handed to us at DET. I would also submit that the Pack manhandled DET in GB earlier that year when we beat the Lions 22-9 and DET scored a TD at 2:06 in the fourth.

When we didn't have ARod we got killed (seemed to struggle big time last year without ARod) when DET didn't have Megatron they got killed. Stafford still was 25-40 for 262 and a TD (similar numbers to ARod that game).
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    In 2013 Lacy ran for 99 yards in the first game against DET when DET had to respect the pass from ARod.
    Lacy ran for 16 yards in the second game against DET when DET didn't have to respect the pass from Flynn.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Rodgers is 9-0 vs. Detroit (not including the game he was injured early). Hope it continues. We got killed without him. Wonder how Detroit would fare without Stafford.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    In 2013 Lacy ran for 99 yards in the first game against DET when DET had to respect the pass from ARod.
    Lacy ran for 16 yards in the second game against DET when DET didn't have to respect the pass from Flynn.
    Plus, I think this was a "revenge" game for the Lions against Flynn for his record-breaking game against them in 2012.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I doubt the Lions would let him off the hook for anything less than a negotiated ten point loss. In reality that is a gift that MM should jump at. There are still 13 weeks left to be played, and this would be accepting the inevitable and avoiding a week's worth of season-ending injuries.
    If Pete Carroll were our coach he would get us a tie. McCarthy just doesn't care about hard bargaining at the negotiating table and always resorts to the same three finesse tactics. The Lions' best alternative to negotiation is to whoop our ass and create an unrealistic expectation of dominance for their city and fanbase. A principled negotiator should be able to anchor with that.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 09-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Golden Tate is a mediocre #2 receiver IMO. Seattle let him walk without much of a struggle and they aren't exactly stacked at WR. Their #3 is Jeremy Ross? I'd take all of the Packers WRs over the Lions' except Johnson. Stafford is good, but not Rodgers good. Reggie Bush is who we've seen for 6-7 years now. Decent runner, good receiver. I'd take the GB RB group there, but not by much.

Hard to compare 3-4 (2-5, 1-6, amoeba...whatever) LBs to a 4-3 but as a group it's close I suppose. Give the Packers a good MLB and it's not nearly as close.

Packers secondary is better. I'm not sure even Lions fans would argue that.

You put a lot of stock in a team's Dline so that's probably your line of thinking on the matter?
    Their DL habitually bitch-slaps our OL ballarina dancers - that is a huge, huge problem for us.

All other things being pretty equal - yes, that is probably the difference.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    It is the Rodgers or no Rodgers comments that make the rest of what you write useless. You are so blind to what you want to see that you can't even admit that the Packers are a different team with ARod under center than Flynn.

Yes, last year we got our ass handed to us at DET. I would also submit that the Pack manhandled DET in GB earlier that year when we beat the Lions 22-9 and DET scored a TD at 2:06 in the fourth.

When we didn't have ARod we got killed (seemed to struggle big time last year without ARod) when DET didn't have Megatron they got killed. Stafford still was 25-40 for 262 and a TD (similar numbers to ARod that game).
    Arod makes a huge difference - he makes it a contest.

So instead of scoring 10 pts, I see us scoring about 31 against them... yes, he makes a huge difference.

Our defense is still our defense - even with the changes and improvements we've made from last year... dunderdummy is still our DC - best he can be is okay; worst he can be is disaster.

45-31 Lions.
    wist

Their DL habitually bitch-slaps our OL ballarina dancers
    The Packer OL is not soft

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Their DL habitually STOMPS our OL ballarina dancers - that is a huge, huge problem for us.

All other things being pretty equal - yes, that is probably the difference.
    There I fixed it, then they get the boot from the game and we still win.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    How many NFL teams have two starters on the defensive line as bad as Datone Jones and Letroy Guion? I'm guessing none.

That said, I expect both those guys to get better through the season. And if Guion plateaus maybe Pennel can do the job by end of regular season.
    Is D. Jones really that bad? I thought he was making strides?

I don't agree with Wist's characterization of the Packer line as "ballerinas"; in the case of Bahkteria at LT I wish it were so. I'm afraid Ziggy Ansah is far too quick for Bahk, and it won't be long before MM will have to shift help over to the left side. That will leave Sherrod on an island, and that could be troublesome. At the least, it'll mean keeping more guys in to block, thus not allowing GB's superior receiving corps to take advantage of the weak Lion secondary.

The good news is that Ansah did not practice yesterday.

Who knows what the hell with happen? I am hoping that the Packer defense actually shows up, from the beginning of the game, this time. Another shitty performance from that unit and my hopes for this season will be severely deflated, because that'll mean MM's whole new emphasis is just a bag of hot air.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

To piggy back on Fritz's idea, I hope the O and D show up at the start. This will be a shoot out.

I will be anchored to my couch Sunday, my blood pressure skying. Especially when I watch the Packer defense.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack