PDA

View Full Version : "Poison pill" clause

packrulz
03-25-2006, 12:27 PM
I snickered when I first read about this but if allowed to stand it may change restricted FA movement from now on.
Nate Burleson, WR — Minnesota Vikings
March 24, 5:17 p.m.
The Seahawks signed Burleson to a touché offer sheet Friday. Touché? The deal is for seven years and $49 million – the same totals on the offer sheet former Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson signed with the Vikings, which the Seahawks did not match. The contract also contains a “poison pill” clause that guarantees the entire amount if Burleson plays more than five games in the state of Minnesota – which is similar to the clause that would have forced the Seahawks to guarantee Hutchinson’s money because he was not the highest-paid lineman on the team. (Clare Farnsworth for TSN)
Fantasy Source spin: We're waiting for the Vikes to retaliate by egging Seahawks headquarters. Burleson would start opposite Darrell Jackson if the offer is not matched.
This is manipulation of restricted FA, if the NFL deems it improper how can they allow Hutchinson to go to Minn then? I personally don't think it should be allowed since it reduces the restricted movement of FA's, which it was intended to do.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2006, 12:54 PM
This has to be the most interesting story of the offseason. Bad Kharma for both clubs. The fooball Gods like battles to be settled on the gridiron.

Do these the teams play each other this season?

MJZiggy
03-25-2006, 02:11 PM
OOOhhh that game alone would be worth the Directv subscription.

GrnBay007
03-25-2006, 06:00 PM
This has to be the most interesting story of the offseason. Bad Kharma for both clubs. The fooball Gods like battles to be settled on the gridiron.

They play each other in Seattle.

MadtownPacker
03-26-2006, 09:01 AM

They play each other in Seattle.

In Seattle? Bet Burleson aint happy about that one. :lol:

Scott Campbell
03-26-2006, 05:11 PM
I think Burleson should pay Hutch's agent 4%.

Pack0514
03-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Yea.... unless GB is playing at the same time as that game (Sea vs Min), I think I will have to watch it.... talk about the posibility of bad blood. I hope Seatle kicks their ass..... they started to whole thing.

Anyways, I think clauses like these are problems.... although very ingenious.