PDA

View Full Version : GIBBS RESIGNS

pack4to84
01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow didnt see this coming.
http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3186165

Scott Campbell
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm not surprised. He's left on his own terms before.

MJZiggy
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
There have been mutterings around town that this was coming...

Scott Campbell
01-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Is he going back to racing full time?

The Leaper
01-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm not shocked. I think the Taylor tragedy took a lot out of Gibbs...and maybe showed him that life is more important than football. He's got a family, and he's entering the twilight of his life. Is football 24-7 really that important...especially when you don't really have anything to prove?

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm not shocked. I think the Taylor tragedy took a lot out of Gibbs...and maybe showed him that life is more important than football. He's got a family, and he's entering the twilight of his life. Is football 24-7 really that important...especially when you don't really have anything to prove?

That sort of shit just doesn't happen in NASCAR and at Joe Gibbs Racing. At most Tony Stewart will get pissed and throw a can of coke out the window.

MJZiggy
01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
He hasn't said anything about that, but will hold a press conference this afternoon and I'm sure that will be asked.

LL2
01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm not surprised. He's a legendary coach. I was more surprised a few years ago when he decided to come back. What did he have to prove? He also loved running his NASCAR business. At his age, and all the money he has, I would just take it easy and enjoy life with friends and family.

Fritz
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
A good coach but his time has come.

oregonpackfan
01-08-2008, 10:15 AM

I think what may have taken a lot out of Gibbs is the incredible time demands placed on today's NFL coaches. Those guys put in 16-18 hour workdays.

When you are in your 60's you just don't have the physical energy to meet those long hours like you used to. I think the time demands are one reason why Parcells left the Cowboys.

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM

I think what may have taken a lot out of Gibbs is the incredible time demands placed on today's NFL coaches. Those guys put in 16-18 hour workdays.

When you are in your 60's you just don't have the physical energy to meet those long hours like you used to. I think the time demands are one reason why Parcells left the Cowboys.

Parcell's left the cowboys because TO won. I guarantee that Parcells has no problem with putting in 16 hours a day on football otherwise he would have stayed retired.

I think Gibbs is in his 70s. I might be wrong, but Parcells in his late 60s.

Carolina_Packer
01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah, OPF, and the ability or patience to put up with it. If you've got more days behind you than ahead of you, it makes you think about what's really important to you. I think it's a good move. I think they are on the right track. If I were Snyder, I'd strongly consider retaining Greg Williams and making him HC and keep Al Saunders too. They are getting closer.

Partial
01-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I can't say I am too surprised because last year they extended and upgraded Williams contract to be something in the line of 2.5 mil and most were speculating this would be Gibbs' last year and he chose his replacement in Williams.

oregonpackfan
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM

Parcell's left the cowboys because TO won. I guarantee that Parcells has no problem with putting in 16 hours a day on football otherwise he would have stayed retired.

Nutz,

I agree that one of the reasons Parcells left the Cowboys was because of the TO factor. It is my belief he hated being put in the position of treating TO as a "Sacred Cow." As the coach for most teams, Parcells would have either benched TO or canned him.

I also believe Parcells blanched at Jerry Jones being a micromanaging, "Hands On" owner. Parcells wanted Jones to be more in the background and less vocal in calling the shots.

I still hold to my original position, however, that working 16-18 hours a day was just too taxing for Parcells. He has had physical health issues and just did not have the physical stamina for the demanding work schedule.