PDA

View Full Version : Couch Slouch hates Pats, Pick Pack to win SB

coolman3
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
From the greatest sports writer of all time, Norman Chad

New England's superiority fuels anti-Patriot feelings

In October, I wrote that the New England Patriots would not go 16-0, that they might suffer a three-game losing streak late in the season and "that this coronation-in-progress is preposterous for a team that will be watching Super Bowl 42 from the sideline."

Now, I don't mind being wrong - I've had a lot of practice at it - but it's somewhat bothersome to be spectacularly wrong.

Anyway, I'm still saying that these unbeatable and unbearable Patriots will NOT make the Super Bowl.

At this point, it's possible my judgment is clouded. For I must tell you - and it's rather embarrassing to own up to this, because I don't believe anyone should get so emotionally interwoven with the fate of sporting events - that I just don't care for the Patriots.

I've had it with the whole lot of them. Among my complaints:

• I don't want to say Tom Brady has a lot of time, but I've seen him dump one model and date another one while in the pocket. He doesn't expect to get hit and he doesn't like to get hit. Heck, in the fourth quarter of the Patriots-Giants regular-season finale, I watched Brady disrobe on the sideline briefly and he appeared to be adjusting the bullet-proof vest he wears. I've learned to hate him.

• During an off-season Sunday last year, at the church we both attend, I saw Randy Moss push off at confessional. Then he went into the booth and told the priest, "I admit nothing." I've learned to hate him.

• Wes Welker? Wes Welker? I could swear this guy was working in the electronics department at Sears a year ago; now he traipses across the turf like Johnny Depp on deck in "Pirates of the Caribbean." I've learned to hate him.

(Column Intermission: So this 46-year-old New Yorker watched sports on TV for 29 hours in a row - What, 29 hours? That's a slow weekend for me! - and they crowned him the Ultimate Couch Potato. He won a flat-screen TV and a recliner in the competition, sponsored by ESPN. Geez, for all the time I spend sitting on my butt for ESPN, I'm lucky to get an Andy Katz bobble head doll.)

• I've had it with Patriots kickers. First they had supernatural Adam Vinitieri for years, now they have Stephen Gostkowski - wasn't he opposing counsel in my second divorce? - and this mope also makes every kick. I've learned to hate him.

• The next time the Patriots try to throw it to Mike Vrabel on first and goal, I will leap through my TV screen and personally take the unnecessary-roughness penalty for clocking that preening peacock. I've learned to hate him.

• I Googled the term "cheap shot" the other day and got nearly 2 million late hits for Rodney Harrison. I've learned to hate him.

True story: On Nov. 6, 1926, Will Rogers remarked, "I never met a man I didn't like." Two days later, he met Bill Belichick and retracted his statement.

By the way, when he faced reporters last week after winning coach-of-the-year honors, Belichick sounded as if he was copping to felony theft and misdemeanor obstruction charges.

OK, so the Patriots have been the best team. They don't need help from the officials. But they always get it, starting with the Jan. 19, 2002, Walt Coleman-Snow Bowl tuck-rule, replay-reversal gift that triggered their run of Super Bowl titles. That remains the single worst legal decision on American soil since Leland McKenzie decided to sleep with Rosalind Shays on "L.A. Law."

Anyway, back in October, I also wrote that Pittsburgh and Indianapolis would be better than New England. The Steelers made me look even more stupid than usual. Ah, but I still believe the Jaguars will beat the Patriots, 25-24; if that doesn't happen, I believe the Colts will beat the Patriots, 25-24, in the AFC title game; if that doesn't happen, I believe the Packers will beat the Patriots, 25-24, in Super Bowl 42.

If none of that happens, well, I guess I'll be wrong again.

LL2
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Is this the guy that writes for the Chicago Sun-Times?

retailguy
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
story is from the Washington Post

BallHawk
01-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Is this the guy that writes for the Chicago Sun-Times?

I don't think he writes for any one newspaper, at least from what I can find.

He's best known for being a commentator on the WSOP (which he is pretty unfunny on, IMO)

OS PA
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
So the Jags, Colts, or Packers are expected get either one touchdown and six field goals OR two touchdowns, three field goals, and a safety OR three touchdowns and two safeties?

How often has a team scored twenty five points in a game?

Zool
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
2pt conversion at the buzzer FTW.

SkinBasket
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Norman Chad tries to be funny by being unfunny. In the end he's just not funny. The best thing about him is his mustache, and that sucks too.