PDA

View Full Version : Favre in charge: There's just no beating St. Brett

Jimx29
01-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Favre in charge: There's just no beating St. Brett

By ART THIEL
P-I COLUMNIST

And now, they play against God.

A stretch, perhaps. But only if you haven't been to Green Bay.

Big-time pro athletes don't come more admired than Brett Favre.

Pro sports franchises don't come more endearing than the Green Bay Packers. Fercripesakes, the team is community-owned.

After a splendid 13-3 regular season, the Packers are recipients of the national hug as they commence Saturday their march to the desert and the inevitable fight for the soul of civilization against the remorseless New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Wondering what the striking TV/movie scriptwriters were doing with their free time? Now you know.

The Rest Of The Story (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/346322_thiel07.html?source=rss)

SeahawkDude
01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Gee, I never realized we are about to march into the Vatican and take down the Pope. I'm almost ready to start rooting for Green Bay..........NOT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/krakee/p1_kerney.jpg

Bretsky
01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Gee, I never realized we are about to march into the Vatican and take down the Pope. I'm almost ready to start rooting for Green Bay..........NOT

Na, you are just playing a class act; so what's the news on Holmgren ? Staying or going after this year ?

If he leaves coaching it would be ironic if Green Bay sent him off to the beaches.

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/krakee/p1_kerney.jpgPoor mans Aaron Kampman!

I see you have never been to Lambeau.

SeahawkDude
01-08-2008, 09:37 PM

Na, you are just playing a class act; so what's the news on Holmgren ? Staying or going after this year ?

If he leaves coaching it would be ironic if Green Bay sent him off to the beaches.

Well, I just got done listening to his press conference that was taped yesterday and he sounds very upbeat, not like someone who's considering bailing. Here's the link. It's almost an hour long, but I believe him being your former coach, you Packer fans would find it interesting. I just had a thought. Several of you folks keep wondering if he's leaving. Is that because you'd love to have him back?.....Just wondering.

http://www.seahawks.com/Multimedia/Multimedia.aspx

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Actually we have no need for Holmgren anymore. McCarthy is doing just fine.

Holmgren sounded pretty up beat right before the San Francisco 49ers beat Green Bay in the playoffs in 1999. He bailed.

Bretsky
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Well, I just got done listening to his press conference that was taped yesterday and he sounds very upbeat, not like someone who's considering bailing. Here's the link. It's almost an hour long, but I believe him being your former coach, you Packer fans would find it interesting. I just had a thought. Several of you folks keep wondering if he's leaving. Is that because you'd love to have him back?.....Just wondering.

http://www.seahawks.com/Multimedia/Multimedia.aspx

No, there was some article out there on the NET about Holmy possibly needing to step away for a while. That's the reason.

I admire him as a coach; along with Ron Wolf he brought a title here. However, the manner in which his last season went and the way he left bring back some bitter thoughts. At the end his ego was too big to be here along with a GM.

I still think he's a great coach. I want to stick with our guy now; but in the past I've have welcomed him back.

MJZiggy
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
It's because Florio's been flapping his yap (big surprise there). Here's where Scott found it.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=10514

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm listening to Holmgren right now. He's talking about Deion Branch being back for this game. He said he hasn't had all four except for maybe a game or two this year.

That's a little worrysome. We're going to have to get pressure with our front 4. Kamp, Williams, KGB and Jenkins are all going ot have to be on with their pass rush.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Sounds like he has a lot of confidence in Hasselback. Apparently Matt hasn't done much of that erratic stuff that we all are drooling over watching the Redskin game. Holmglren is making it sound like Hasselback will be better this week.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:02 PM
What concerns me a little is that now they have enough depth to get away from Chuck and Al and start picking on Tramon, Bush, Collins, Bigby, Poppinga and Hawk.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Holy shit, Holmgren loves to talk. He's worse than Brett.

Bretsky
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
not much difference right now between the top 4 NFC teams

The saving grace is Seattle and Hasslebeck have not been as good on the road

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Said Ted Thompson has done a GRRREAT job. GRRREAT!! He's not as tough as you, Bretsky :)

Bretsky
01-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Said Ted Thompson has done a GRRREAT job. GRRREAT!! He's not as tough as you, Bretsky :)

He's been very good; maybe my standards are higher :lol:

I just want a championship; nothing less.

SeahawkDude
01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
There was a time some years ago when we Seahawk fans wanted to show him the door because the team was playing mediocre at best. But now that we're doing well, we want him to stick around. He may not see eye to eye with the GM Tim Ruskell, but I think he gets along well enough with owner Paul Allen. Anyway, I hope he sticks around............unless of course we lose Saturday. :D

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
With the strength of NE this year, I'd say a SB appearance would mean he did better than any other GM not named Scott Piolli (or whatever his name is)

Bretsky
01-08-2008, 10:11 PM
With the strength of NE this year, I'd say a SB appearance would mean he did better than any other GM not named Scott Piolli (or whatever his name is)

Spot on.

The NE guy is top dog right now. After that TT is one of the most popular chasers.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Said there are not many players in the NFL like Brett. He's special. Seemed very sincere.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Comparing teams

Both have good defenses
Both have good QB's
GB has better running game
Seattle is more experienced
They have good WR's (GB) and so do we (SEA)
They play more man coverage

They're pretty similar, but not mirror images that's for sure.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Tickled pink that they havn't taken down his street signs.

Got to see the new offices and the new complex at Lambeau. Said it was beautifull.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Green bay is very unique. You couldn't have a team in a small town like that outside of Greenbay. Fans give great support. Stadium always full even when they're losing. Season tickets get passed down from family member to family member. There are many towns like Greenbay, what sets Greenbay apart is the football team.

Old metal seats, now luxury boxes. Added the boxes, added another ring, enclosed it, it's very much a modern stadium. It's a special venue like Wrigley Park. The way they remodled it and kept it's sanctity is special. Keeping the name was special.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Recapped that he doesn't think he has an advantage with experience. Said they do have veteran players. Corners are unbelievably good. Said they have more experience, but Packers have some good veteran players.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Brett still plays the game the same way. Has a unique way of playing. You have to play the whole play against him. He can make plays from awkward positions. It's VERY important that he doesn't get real comfortable. If he gets comfortable, boy it's a long day.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Said maintaining success is about

1. good personal decision
2. Managing money
3. The QB

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Said GB has a VERY knowledgable fan base. Said they could see it building, fans knew great things were coming.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Holgmren is mostly boring. He just loves talking about himself. Talked probably 70% about himself and 30% about the game. He really does have a huge ego. It's funny. MM is so humble compared to this guy. Not even close.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
on Patrick Kerney

Had a great year. Brings a lot of energy. Sack total is hugely important. People really have to pay attn to him. It really helps a defense. The Packers have a couple guys where you have to know where they are. When you get a couple of those guys on your line it changes the whole defense. FA aquisitions this year were really good (had to pat himself on the back :) ).

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
On a side note, I think we should turn the power off on their heaters like Chicago did to us a couple weeks ago.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Said Brett and Warren Sapp would be fighting too much so Holmgren would call a time out. Brett would come running over and so would Warren. Holmgren would tell him to get the hell out of there and Sapp would fight with him before he left.

RashanGary
01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow, that was a waste of 51 minutes, but I gave you guys the stuff that I thought was interesting so you don't have to do the same unless you want to waste your time listening to the ego talk about himself.