PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren Way going away?

GBRulz
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Holmgren Way going away? Not now

Ashwaubenon board hears request to change street name

By Patti Zarling
pzarling@greenbaypressgazette.com

ASHWAUBENON — Come this weekend, Mike Holmgren might load Seattle Seahawks players on a bus and tour Holmgren Way, to show the "glories, riches and immortality" that can follow a Super Bowl win.

That's the tongue-in-cheek fear of a pair of Appleton radio personalities who asked the Ashwaubenon Village Board on Tuesday to temporarily to change the name of Holmgren Way to something their listeners feel might be more appropriate, say Traitor's Trail.

Len Nelson, a morning announcer for WAPL-FM, made the appeal during the board's comment period. Under board rules, trustees don't comment or take action during that part of the meeting. But they also made no move to take a vote on the request before Saturday, which doesn't surprise Nelson.

"I talked to a couple of administrators, and while they liked the idea they didn't want to get involved," he said earlier in the day. "I guess they didn't want to commit to something as controversial as being a Packers supporter."

The Green Bay Packers face the Seahawks, led by Holmgren, in an NFC divisional playoff game on Saturday at Lambeau Field. Holmgren left the Packers in 1999 to take over in Seattle, where he served for a time as both coach and general manager.

The village began discussing the street-name change in 1997, shortly after Holmgren led the Packers to their first Super Bowl win in 29 years. At the time, the village agreed to change the name of its portion of Gross Street to Holmgren Way, while the city of Green Bay opted to keep the name of its portion of Gross Street unchanged.

Nelson's on-air partner, Rick McNeal, first proposed the change, and listeners took it to heart, Nelson said.

The radio station is running a poll on its Web site asking readers to choose among the names Traitor's Trail, McCarthy Mile, Defector Drive, Benedict Arnold Boulevard, Walrus Face Way, Holmgren Go-A-Way, Ron Wolf Way, Holmgren Way Overrated, Donald Drive, and, Nelson's favorite: If I Can't be GM, I'm Going to Take My Ball and Go Home Highway.

And while that might be a little hard to fit onto a street sign, at least taxpayers won't have to foot the bill for paint.

The owner of a Freedom-based sign company offered to make the signs for free.

"This would be tax neutral," Nelson said.

In light of the board's decision, Nelson warned Packers' fans not to take things into their own hands and deface current signs."We don't want anyone breaking the law," he said.

The list of proposed names and a chance to vote can be found at www.wapl.com, though Nelson said they expected to release the results today.

GBRulz
01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
http://www.wapl.com/pages/1288649.php?

Vote here !

My personal fav " If I Can't Be GM, I'm Going to Take My Ball and Go Home Highway"

OS PA
01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
We nor the Packers management need any of these distractions. Holmgrem did a hell of a lot for this organization and Holmgrem Way is to celebrate his accomplishments. Him leaving for the Seahawks wasn't the best public relations decision he could have made, but he made it, and that was 8-9 years ago. Get over it. If Holmgrem wants to parade his team around on his own street and say "This is what winning a Superbowl is all about" let him. It will be just an added distraction to them. I am sure his team knows what they need to do and I'm sure Holmgrem knows of better ways to motivate a team than to parade them around a street commemorating personal achievements.

Leave the road named "Holmgrem Way" and let our Green Bay Packers kick the piss out of the Seahawks the Holmgrem Way.

packinpatland
01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm liking McCarthy Mile.

OS PA
01-09-2008, 05:25 PM
One other thing... Have the Packers beat the Seahawks yet? No. Won't changing the sign be more motivation for the other team than it is for us?

gbgary
01-09-2008, 06:13 PM
:D it's very funny to joke about but it wouldn't be very classy to do. :?

BallHawk
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Why no love for The Walrus?

OS PA is dead on. Holmgren did a helluva good job here and we all should be grateful for that. Leave the street name as it is.

oregonpackfan
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
How about changing it to "Holmgren Hustle?"

The Leaper
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
So, I guess most Packer fans are also on board with the most recent suggestion after changing Holmgren Way?

Lombardi Ave will now become What Kind of Fucking Moron Wants to Coach the Redskins Ave.

Sometimes, I think Packer fans are clueless.

MadtownPacker
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Curious why this wasn't brought up last time seattle came to GB for the playoffs.

It would be childish and petty to change it. People want to stick it to the Walrus they should go to the game and be loud as hell.

Then they can just send him home, on his WAY.

SeahawkDude
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
So, I guess most Packer fans are also on board with the most recent suggestion after changing Holmgren Way?

Lombardi Ave will now become What Kind of Fucking Moron Wants to Coach the Redskins Ave.

EXACTOMUNDO!

BF4MVP
01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't want Holmgren Way renamed..Even temporarily..The fact that he's coaching the opposition this weekend does not, and should not, negate what he did for the Pack. Hopefully there'll be a McCarthy Lane before too long too 8-)

Joemailman
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
People who only remember Holmgren leaving (and I was critical of some things Holmgren did when he left) should try to remember that Favre was an overweight drunk when he arrived in Green Bay. Holmgren had a lot to do with turning Favre around, as Favre has attested.

Carolina_Packer
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't want Holmgren Way renamed..Even temporarily..The fact that he's coaching the opposition this weekend does not, and should not, negate what he did for the Pack. Hopefully there'll be a McCarthy Lane before too long too 8-)

Wouldn't that be MacArthur Lane? :lol:

GBRulz
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Ya know, I'm thinking the same thing right now.

Like how some of you are taking this article so literally. It's called a radio stations attempt at humor. The street name isn't going to change, my god. :roll:

BF4MVP
01-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Yeah it could be a play on words 8-)

BF4MVP
01-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Ya know, I'm thinking the same thing right now.

Like how some of you are taking this article so literally. It's called a radio stations attempt at humor. The street name isn't going to change, my god. :roll:
I know it won't change, obviously..I'm just saying that he did a lot of great things for the Pack and deserves his place in its history, even though he is what some may call a "traitor"..

No need to get so hostile :shock: :P

Some of those names are pretty funny though :lol:

BF4MVP
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
We nor the Packers management need any of these distractions. Holmgrem did a hell of a lot for this organization and Holmgrem Way is to celebrate his accomplishments. Him leaving for the Seahawks wasn't the best public relations decision he could have made, but he made it, and that was 8-9 years ago. Get over it. If Holmgrem wants to parade his team around on his own street and say "This is what winning a Superbowl is all about" let him. It will be just an added distraction to them. I am sure his team knows what they need to do and I'm sure Holmgrem knows of better ways to motivate a team than to parade them around a street commemorating personal achievements.

Leave the road named "Holmgrem Way" and let our Green Bay Packers kick the piss out of the Seahawks the Holmgrem Way.
It always bothered me that so many people called him "holmgrem" :lol:

Rastak
01-10-2008, 06:32 AM

HA! I like that one. Awesome.

OS PA
01-11-2008, 09:45 PM

It always bothered me that so many people called him "holmgrem" :lol:

My bad, I don't write the man's name very often.

Iron Mike
03-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm surprised Tank never suggested that someone name a women's clothing store "Ted Thompson's Coming Out Of The Closet, Pt. IX." :)

KYPack
03-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I figured you were talking about this deal, Iron One...

"Mayor Jim Schmitt told the crowd at Tuesday’s Super Bowl victory celebration that the street will be named “McCarthy’s Way.”

Tank? He's down so low the whale turds look like fleecy clouds to the boy.

Fritz
03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Tank is infamous now. He deserves a street name, too. Maybe a dead end street.

I can't say I miss him, exactly, but he was indeed entertaining. And I do kinda wonder if and how he's reconciling himself to this strange new world, where his arch-enemy, his nemesis, his punching bag, his whipping boy, has become the architect of a Super Bowl winning team.

Maybe it'd be akin to finding out the George Washington was a pedophile who beat his wife and wanted only to be filthy rich, by hook or crook. It'd make you adjust your world view a little bit.

Iron Mike
03-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Tank? He's down so low the whale turds look like fleecy clouds to the boy.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! You owe me a new keyboard!!! :)

KYPack
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! You owe me a new keyboard!!! :)

Just put it on me tab.

gbgary
03-06-2011, 03:04 PM
i bearly remember tank from the old forum we all moved here from. am i wrong thinking he was here too but under a different name?

Joemailman
03-06-2011, 03:10 PM
i bearly remember tank from the old forum we all moved here from. am i wrong thinking he was here too but under a different name?

He was Anti-Polar Bear here.

Pugger
03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately you can still find good old 'tinkerbelle' tank over on the bubbler trolling away. :-P