PDA

View Full Version : The Catch II

Iron Mike
01-09-2008, 11:46 PM
They just re-played the 1/3/99 NFC Wildcard game on ESPN2.

Guess who's still bitter about the Jerry Rice non-fumble and guess who's not??

HarveyWallbangers
01-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Start a poll. I'm still mad as hell. Probably the worst call that I remember going against Green Bay. Cut and dried, it cost them a playoff win. It was also obvious that he fumbled.

oregonpackfan
01-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Start a poll. I'm still mad as hell. Probably the worst call that I remember going against Green Bay. Cut and dried, it cost them a playoff win. It was also obvious that he fumbled.

I agree it was one of the worst, if not THE worst calls every against the Packers.

Part of me still thinks there was considerable pressure to have the 49'ers win the game as they had "Big Names" like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. Instant replay should have reversed that call.

sepporepi
01-10-2008, 03:50 AM
i am still pissed. I was sitting in some overprized American Sports Bar with tons of 49er fans in the middle of the night. Only place to catch the game here in Cologne back in 99 (no streams so far :evil: ). The got mad after the "TD", no one admitted after the noumerous replays it was a fumble. I just left and got some sleep.

mmmdk
01-10-2008, 09:38 AM

...the demon is now in New Cheatland...EXORCISM NEEDED!

packers11
01-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Catch II and 4th and 26 both put a hole in my heart... I'd have to say that 4th and 26 was a bigger kick in the ass...

Sharper was in on both of those plays... :evil:

I'm glad the packers are finally back in the divisional round, and I hope to god if they lose it is not with some lucky ass 30 yard play...

MJZiggy
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I'll take a stab at this...I think Holmgren is still bitter (maybe Chmura and Sharper)...And Butler, Favre, and big Gilbert have let it go.

Iron Mike
01-10-2008, 10:57 AM

I'll take a stab at this...I think Holmgren is still bitter (maybe Chmura and Sharper)...And Butler, Favre, and big Gilbert have let it go.

It was obvious that the Walrus is STILL bitter. Dorsey Levens remains bitter.

Andy Reid said had GB won, then he wouldn't have been able to interview for the Philly gig....they wouldn't wait another week.

Steve Mariucci and Steve Young were both whining about how even though Jerry Rice OBVIOUSLY fumbled, it was about time that SF had a call go their way. :evil:

PackerTimer
01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, I know I'm still bitter about it. What a terrible call that was.

Freak Out
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Damn I was pissed.....but you have to let those things go. But man have the Zebras fucked up some calls or what?

cpk1994
01-10-2008, 12:49 PM

I agree it was one of the worst, if not THE worst calls every against the Packers.

Part of me still thinks there was considerable pressure to have the 49'ers win the game as they had "Big Names" like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. Instant replay should have reversed that call.

Joe Montana? You might want to fast forward a couple of years. :)

TheRaven
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Yep, still pissed about it. Always will be.

Bossman641
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Whenever I see that game on TV as an NFL Classic I just have to watch it. I don't know why, it is like self-torture.

Absolutely horrible call, I can never let it go.

KYPack
01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
It was obvious. So obvious that the refs should have nailed on the first call. When ya watch the replays some of 'em have "hanky paralysis".

BF4MVP
01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Steve Mariucci and Steve Young were both whining about how even though Jerry Rice OBVIOUSLY fumbled, it was about time that SF had a call go their way. :evil:
Yep. That's what pissed me off the most, besides the non-fumble itself..

It was obviously a fumble..And I'm pretty sure Instant Replay was introduced within a year or two after that..If only they had started that a little sooner, Favre could have had another shot at a second ring (provided they got through Atlanta)..

Joemailman
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Yep, I believe this play had a lot to do with bringing instant replay back.

swede
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Holmgren was an important member of the NFL competition committee, so you know he played that vid a number of times to make the point that the league needed to overcome the time concerns and get instant replay back into the game.

SudsMcBucky
01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
[quote=HarveyWallbangers] Instant replay should have reversed that call.

I doubt it. If the refs ruled he DIDN'T fumble on the play, the whistle would have blown it dead, therefore, it would not have been a reviewable play. This is the bad of instant replay. They need to let questionable plays play through, then blow the whistle after it's been clearly dead, and then make the call. At THAT time, then the play can be considered reviewable.

SkinBasket
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I was very sensitive to injustice at the time and almost cried. I don't know why someone has to bring this play up every 4 to 6 months. It just makes everyone grumpy.

BTW Suds, be careful with your avatar. Kissing girls aren't tolerated here anymore.

GrnBay007
01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Skin, shouldn't your sig say Bretsky and Jesus cry for girls who love girls?

SudsMcBucky
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
BTW Suds, be careful with your avatar. Kissing girls aren't tolerated here anymore.

Are you kidding about my avatar? Does it really not meet board standards? Heck, Rivals and Scout don't care about it.

BallHawk
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Are you kidding about my avatar? Does it really not meet board standards? Heck, Rivals and Scout don't care about it.

If you're into heavy reading check out the Romper Room and you'll understand everything.

But, you're good to go with the avatar. At least I think you are....

SkinBasket
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM

If you're into heavy reading check out the Romper Room and you'll understand everything.

But, you're good to go with the avatar. At least I think you are....

My kissing girls were much smaller and less erotic and they were systematically eliminated. Of course, constantly changing standards are the norm these days, so it's probably Mad's way of trying to flex his bicep in my direction.

Skin, shouldn't your sig say Bretsky and Jesus cry for girls who love girls?

But they cry for such very different reasons... Maybe if B gives me his pic, I'll paste him in next to Jesus.

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Skinbasket, you got bigger concerns than a little censorship on a forum. You ought to be examining all the sinks in your house to see if Nutz's dad left behind any turds. He's got a history.