2...........Nick Barnett
3...........Tim Goodwell
3...........Kevin Schimmelmann

SAM

1...........Ben Taylor
2...........Roy Manning
2...........Brady Poppinga
4...........Byron Santiago

(N.B. I can count, but I could not seperate the 2nd from 3rd best at Sam and Will).

I know I'll get flack by some for seeing Hodge ahead of our veteran at "Mike". But Wist's repeated attacks on Barnett have worn me down - I am willing to concede he's not one of our best 3 LBs. Politics aside, there is no reason for Barnett to be a starter anymore.

Our "Sams" appear to have great depth, I think our depth at "Will" is our greatest deficiency, so I would hope Manning or Poppy could back up Hawk there.

Schimmelmann (German name, means man of the white horse), is a Stanford grad. Smart guy, but a real long shot to make the team.

How many 'backers make the roster?

gbpackfan
05-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Hodge above Barnett at this point is a joke! Come on!!!

BlueBrewer
05-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Hodge is a great prospect, but that is all he is at this point. He has yet to step onto the field at the NFL level and you put him ahead of our Defenses leading tackler, I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 08:21 AM
I knew there'd be that reaction, but frankly, Hodge is vicious and Barnett is Mr Nice-Guy. Many on here have suggested moving Barnes outside to get Hodge on the field.

If you are ready to make that concession, then you really need to ask if Barnett is better than Taylor, and I for one, do NOT think he is.

Hodge would just explode through the line. I don't think Barnett has it in him to do that. He may be better outside, but I don't see his strength on at Sam.

So, now you ask is he better than Hawk?

See. Welcome to my world.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 09:42 AM
I knew there'd be that reaction, but frankly, Hodge is vicious and Barnett is Mr Nice-Guy.

I don't think you can just annoint the guy because he played well enough in college to get drafted in the 4th round. Let him win the battle in camp.

Charles Woodson
05-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I knew there'd be that reaction, but frankly, Hodge is vicious and Barnett is Mr Nice-Guy.

I don't think you can just annoint the guy because he played well enough in college to get drafted in the 4th round. Let him win the battle in camp.

he was drafted in the 3rd.. but i dont agree with this at all.

Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2003 GNB 15 109 88 21 6 2 0 0 3 21 0
2004 GNB 16 121 95 26 6 3 0 7 1 16 0
2005 GNB 16 139 92 47 2 1 1 17 1 95 1
Career 47 369 275 94 14 6.0 1 0 5 132 1

Barnett has at least put up some decent numbers. and i really dont agree that he will back up some rookie, that wasnt even a top pick. i could maybe agree with this in a few years, but untill abdul proves himself, barnett is better IMO

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 09:56 AM
My bad Nick. It was the 3rd.

And what I meant by let him win the job in camp was really let him compete for the job in camp. May the best man win. It ought to be like that for every position.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Why, then, were there so many posters asking that Barnett be moved outside???

If he were the real deal at Mike, the thought would never have come up and there can be no doubt that Hodge is the epitomy of a MLB.

Just because he was picked in the 3rd means diddly squat. Every piece I've read has him equalling Carpenter in tackles and efficiency, the only thing he lacks is height.

Everybody was amazed he fell to the 3rd. Barnett was drafted in an aweful LB year and almost in the 2nd.

People, Barnett just aint that great. Wist has proven Barnett is mediocre at best. Hodge is a better candidate coming out of college and has a bigger upside.

Charles Woodson
05-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Why, then, were there so many posters asking that Barnett be moved outside???

If he were the real deal at Mike, the thought would never have come up and there can be no doubt that Hodge is the epitomy of a MLB.

Just because he was picked in the 3rd means diddly squat. Every piece I've read has him equalling Carpenter in tackles and efficiency, the only thing he lacks is height.

Everybody was amazed he fell to the 3rd. Barnett was drafted in an aweful LB year and almost in the 2nd.

People, Barnett just aint that great. Wist has proven Barnett is mediocre at best. Hodge is a better candidate coming out of college and has a bigger upside.

Why i think people had brought up the moving him to the out side is because, Could he be more effective in there. Is it possible that hes been stuck in the middle because of lack of depth, i mean i dont know much about where he is the best at, so i mean if abdul is the real deal, then i would say to put barnett at the sam.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 10:03 AM
He's said all along he loves to play Mike, but the fact is, he's average at best in the middle. I remember last draft when he was saying he hoped they left him at Mike.

Face it, he aint a first round talent. He's a JAG.

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Barnett will be a starter this year, and he'll be solid again. The good money is on him starting at MLB. If Hodge stands out in camp and can't make it happen at SLB, then they could move Hawk and Barnett around. I just don't see Barnett being a good fit at SLB. He's a better MLB. I see Hawk being best at WLB where you can blitz him more because he'll have less coverage responsibilities. Everything points to Hawk at WLB, Barnett at MLB, and Taylor or Hodge at SLB.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd imagine there might be a little reluctance to play two rooks at LB - unless Hodge just plays lights out better than the others.