PDA

View Full Version : Favre commits to one more!

Partial
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.sunherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/292105.html

MTPackerfan
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with that.

retailguy
01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
http://www.sunherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/292105.html

Good catch. Gosh, hope that's true!

Deputy Nutz
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Again, it is all speculation one way or another, there was no commitment there on Favre's part to play for 18. I am glad he is positive about the possibility of coming back, but things change.

I love his daughters' reaction though, and the fact that his daughters' opinions mean so much to him.

Bossman641
01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure how that is committing to another year. His daughters said they wanted him to keep playing, Favre never said one way or another.

:?:

MJZiggy
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
This is Favre. Everything he says, especially about retirement is over analyzed and deeply read into. He says what he says; people hear what they want.

packinpatland
01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
What the hell is the media going to write about????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
What the hell is the media going to write about????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever will sell the most papers or produce the most hits. Now the tiny Sun Herald will be able to claim "scoop" if he actually does come back. You heard it there first, folks!! 8-)

Fosco33
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
M3/Driver made some comments about that on foxsports.com.

Basically, M3 nearly laughed and called it a near distraction -- and to focus on SEA.

Thanks Captain - although a rematch with the Rams would've been an easier victory :lol:

Partial
01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
I didn't read said article. Just heard it on WSSP.

MJZiggy
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Basically, M3 nearly laughed and called it a near distraction -- and to focus on STL.

They need to focus on STL. We need a distraction. Starting to get antsy waiting for the game...

Fosco33
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Basically, M3 nearly laughed and called it a near distraction -- and to focus on STL.

They need to focus on STL. We need a distraction. Starting to get antsy waiting for the game...

For sure - I can't wait for this game - trying to stay as busy as possible....

here's the link the story on foxsports w/ M3's comments.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7606090

"I'm trying not to laugh but I have not been part of any conversation with Brett on that topic," McCarthy said. "I think we need to move on and focus on Seattle. That's what we're focusing on and I'm sure it's what he's focused on. I think someone just wants to distract our quarterback."

LL2
01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I'll believe Favre is coming back when he and M3 clearly say he's coming back. If they win it all I can't see it happening though.

mmmdk
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
...I think Favre is saying that he's ready to play in .....february 2008 and continue the hot streak untill the job is done!

The Leaper
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
If Deanna tells Brett he's coming back, he'll damn well do what he's told.

Brett is Deanna's bitch!

packinpatland
01-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Brett is Deanna's bitch!

Where's this coming from? :roll:

Pacopete4
01-10-2008, 02:49 PM
"Breleigh then spoke up and said, 'Dad, don't retire.' And Brittany said, 'Dad, I think you need to play one more year."'

that alone speaks volumes... hes always worried about his kids and missing out on them and that gives him the pressure needed to be taken off that area.. the guys great still, play til theres nothing left in the basement.. (a rocky balboa thing)

woodbuck27
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Brett is Deanna's bitch!

Lucky Brett.

Brett Favre will return in 2008. The only reason he may retire now is that he can say he went out playing at such a high level. Still that hardly cuts it. He wants another Super Bowl shot and a win there.

That will be difficult as I see it this season, yet not impossible as it may all come together over the next few weeks.

Football games are played on the field and not on paper. If we get by Seattle and remain decently healthy then it simply comes down to winning the next game. It's wide open in the NFC as I see it now.

Favre may be riding the wind of destiny and wouldn't it be great for players like Charles Woodson and Al Harris and KGB and Kampman and Donald Driver, Nick Barnett, Chad Clifton and Marc Tauscher to get to the show.[/b]

For all our players to get there? SWEET!! :)

It will also come down to our HC Vs their HC. Mike McCarthy Vs Mike Holmgren. mmmmm. . . now that's exciting stuff.

PACKERS FOREVER!!

Carolina_Packer
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Brett is Deanna's bitch!

Lucky Brett.

Brett Favre will return in 2008. The only reason he may retire now is that he can say he went out playing at such a high level. Still that hardly cuts it. He wants another Super Bowl shot and a win there.

That will be difficult as I see it this season, yet not impossible as it may all come together over the next few weeks.

Football games are played on the field and not on paper. If we get by Seattle and remain decently healthy then it simply comes down to winning the next game. It's wide open in the NFC as I see it now.

Favre may be riding the wind of destiny and wouldn't it be great for players like Charles Woodson and Al Harris and KGB and Kampman and Donald Driver, Nick Barnett, Chad Clifton and Marc Tauscher to get to the show.[/b]

For all our players to get there? SWEET!! :)

It will also come down to our HC Vs their HC. Mike McCarthy Vs Mike Holmgren. mmmmm. . . now that's exciting stuff.

PACKERS FOREVER!!

It would be, good post.

SeahawkDude
01-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I know I risk introducing blasphemy here in Packerdom, but do you guys ever envision a day when Favre, not quite having enough to be a starter anymore, but enough to be a very capable back-up, moves on to another team? I'm thinking Seattle, where he could team up once again with buddies Holmgren and Hasselbeck. Him being a back-up on a Packer team wouldn't work, would it?

CaptainKickass
01-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral Ackronym and Captain Correction have teamed up to bring you this bulletin:

The Pack Is playing against SEA (Seattle) not STL (St Louis).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

:D

Pacopete4
01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
he wont be around to be a backup.. the reason hes playing is because he knows how really good he is and can be.. once that ends, he will retire..

people were just too quick to jump ship on the man because he had a couple bad seasons.. law of averages say thats gonna happen when you've played as long and as much as he has

Partial
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Time to trade A-Rod. Waste of a draft pick but I think they'll be able to get a first for him.

MJZiggy
01-10-2008, 04:38 PM
You can't dump A-Rod now. Eventually Favre WILL retire and we're gonna need him. Unless, of course A-Rod retires before Favre does, which the way things are going, I could see happening.

Partial
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
You could unload him and add another developmental player.

MJZiggy
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Only if Favre's gonna commit to at least 2 more years.

Partial
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I think that is a foregone conclusion unless our team takes a sudden turn for the worse. I don't foresee that happening, though.

packrulz
01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Partial is right, if Favre is coming back we have another Hasslebeck situation where the back up wants to be a starter but will have to wait until Favre is done. In a perfect world I'd love to see ARod sign another contract but in reality it's pretty unlikely, he wants to start now. I'm hoping TT can trade ARod for a 1st round pick but with who? Atlanta, Miami, & KC to name a few could use an experienced QB but are they willing to give up a fairly high 1st round pick for ARod? If TT lets ARod try free agency then he's gone with nothing to show for him in return. I guess I'm thinking a high 2nd round pick might not be such a bad deal for him, he has seemed to be injury prone.

Partial
01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Right.

I also think we look at this very selfishly. Don't you think Rodgers wants a chance to shine before he's 27? Some people retire by 33. That isn't a very long time. Asking someone who has the talent to be a starter to sit on the bench and not play for 4 years is a bit much.

Ship him out for respect for what he has done, draft his replacement.

b bulldog
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
This is much to do about nothing. Brett never actually said he is coming back, even though all, me included, think he will be back. Brett did say he is having fun but he did say he is trying to enjoy it cause it could be his last game in Green bay and he made mention that his girls told him to play one more year.

wpony
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I dug A little deeper into the paper down there and found this

http://www.sunherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/292942.html

sounds like he is planing on coming back Sorry cant get url to post right :(

Partial
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
They would have made a statement if it wasn't correct. Everyone reported it and dedicated their radio shows to it today.

SkinBasket
01-10-2008, 09:45 PM

what the fuck did god make masturbation for?

SkinBasket
01-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Time to trade A-Rod. Waste of a draft pick but I think they'll be able to get a first for him.

Yeah. When Favre was completely confused as to whether he would play again or not, picking up another QB was a complete waste. A disgusting waste. Makes me puke. Blaaarggg.

If you want to talk about wasted picks and money, talk about every fucking QB taken in the draft or signed via FA from 1994 to 2004.

And no, no one is giving a 1st for him. 2nd maybe. Maaaaayyyybeeeee. Probably not.

GrnBay007
01-11-2008, 01:26 AM
LOL....even Gov. Doyle had something to say.......

Favre Leaning Toward Return to Packers
AP

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Jan. 10) - Remember when Brett Favre teared up on television at the end of last season, leading many to believe he was set on retiring? He came back to play anyway.

So you'll have to forgive Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy if he isn't convinced Favre's comments to his hometown newspaper on Thursday - indicating that he was leaning toward coming back and playing another season - amounted to an official decision on his future.

Instead, McCarthy seemed to brush it off as just the latest episode in the Brett Favre retirement speculation saga, an annual rite that has become as much a part of winters in Wisconsin as snow shovels and ice scrapers.

And, by the way, McCarthy has a playoff game against Seattle to coach on Saturday.

"I'm trying not to laugh, but I have not been part of any conversation with Brett on that topic," McCarthy said. "And I think we need to just move on and focus on Seattle, because that's what we are focused on. I'm sure that's what he's focused on."

In a story posted on the Web site of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald on Thursday, Favre said he isn't approaching Saturday's playoff game against Seattle as if it will be his final game in Green Bay. He seemed more optimistic than in years past about returning.

Still, he didn't say anything definitive.

"For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game," Favre told the newspaper. "I would like to continue longer."

Favre has taken weeks and even months to make his decision after recent seasons, with Cheeseheads hanging on his every word as his football future hangs in the balance.

Favre's Thursday comments sent premature shock waves across the state - all the way up to the governor's office, where the political version of a false start was committed.

"Like all Packer fans, I am thrilled that Brett Favre will return to action next year for the green and gold," Gov. Jim Doyle said in a statement. "Brett Favre's tremendous work ethic and willingness to go out and play hard every day represent the true spirit of Wisconsin. I am hopeful that with this announcement behind us, Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers can focus on the task at hand: defeating the Seattle Seahawks."

The governor's office later amended the statement to say Doyle was "excited to hear Brett Favre talking about returning to action next year."

While it has been widely assumed Favre would indeed come back to play next season after having one of the best seasons of his career in 2007, the quarterback and his coach have said they would wait until after the season to discuss the issue.

On Thursday, McCarthy said that timeline hadn't changed.

Favre's favorite receiver, Donald Driver, said that while he hasn't discussed the topic with Favre, he expected the three-time MVP to return.

"I think he's going to come back," Driver said. "I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back. He's having a great year, so it'd be great to see him come back if he decides to."

Given the emotion he showed in that interview with NBC immediately after the final game of last season, teammates cautioned that Favre's most recent pronouncement might not be his final answer.

"If the last two years have told us anything, after NBC last year, it's that we really don't know what he's going to do," backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "It's really out of my control. I've learned the last three years that the only things I worry about are in my control. I can't control what he does. I can just control my preparation for Seattle. Until he says 'I'm coming back' or 'I'm retiring,' there's really nothing I can do."

Packers third-string quarterback Craig Nall, a hunting buddy of Favre's, doesn't think Favre has come to a conclusion.

"Honestly, I don't think he knows," Nall said. "You see how it happens every offseason. Is he going to, is he not? He's contemplating. The way he's playing right now, I could envision him playing another two, three years."

McCarthy, meanwhile, didn't seem pleased the retirement issue popped up two days before the team's biggest game of the season. He also didn't seem to realize Favre himself had brought it up.

"I don't know anything about it, and I think it's someone just trying to distract my quarterback," McCarthy said.

Favre is not scheduled to speak to the media before Saturday's game. However, on a conference call with reporters who cover the Seahawks earlier this week, Favre said he still enjoys leading the team, but his injuries are starting to linger.

"I'm not getting any younger," said Favre, 38. "I wake up some days and think I can't even touch my toes. I think about that. I think, well, next year is not going to be like some refreshing, awakening season where all of a sudden you're going to feel great. That's not going to happen.

"I carry some of these things with me that maybe you wouldn't see. I tend to dwell on them, at least internally, more than I used to. I don't write them off as quickly as I used to."

Partial
01-11-2008, 07:10 AM

Yeah. When Favre was completely confused as to whether he would play again or not, picking up another QB was a complete waste. A disgusting waste. Makes me puke. Blaaarggg.

If you want to talk about wasted picks and money, talk about every fucking QB taken in the draft or signed via FA from 1994 to 2004.

And no, no one is giving a 1st for him. 2nd maybe. Maaaaayyyybeeeee. Probably not.

I would say a first and a third personally. Matt Schaub got what, 2 seconds and a flip-flop in the first round??

pbmax
01-11-2008, 10:23 AM
This is poor timing. The team needs no distractions going into a playoff game.

According to Milwaukee radio (the "D List" usually more reliable than most) the reporter had sent a message to Favre about another story and got a phone call back from Brett's office in Lambeau when he dropped another will he/won't he.

The story was that the call wasn't from Favre's cell, but had a 920 area code. When the reporter picked up, he found Favre calling from inside the stadium.

I despise these trial balloons.

And I don't think the Packers get a Schaub-like pick package for Rodgers. Schaub had started and won games from Atlanta. Rodgers has had mop up duty and with the exception of Dallas, has looked mediocre in those games. I'm not down on him, but the buzz isn't at Scott Mitchell proportions yet.

Zool
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
He will retire when he cant start. He doesn't need the money.

KYPack
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM

According to Milwaukee radio (the "D List" usually more reliable than most) the reporter had sent a message to Favre about another story and got a phone call back from Brett's office in Lambeau when he dropped another will he/won't he.

The story was that the call wasn't from Favre's cell, but had a 920 area code. When the reporter picked up, he found Favre calling from inside the stadium.

I despise these trial balloons.

And I don't think the Packers get a Schaub-like pick package for Rodgers. Schaub had started and won games from Atlanta. Rodgers has had mop up duty and with the exception of Dallas, has looked mediocre in those games. I'm not down on him, but the buzz isn't at Scott Mitchell proportions yet.

That Schaub deal was brilliant, eh?

I think Brett is pulling a fast one.

He's taking all the heat off the guys and having the media mess with him 'cause he can totally handle it. He may do more of this next week.

Partial
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
He doesn't need the money.

How do you know?

Deputy Nutz
01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
He doesn't need the money.

How do you know?

His biggest personal purchase has been this:
http://www.businessinnovationinsider.com/images/2006/07/John%20Deere%20tractor.jpg

Partial
01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I agree, but to say someone doesn't need 10 mil is crazy talk. Anyone could certainly make use of 10 million dollars. My guess is if he was getting the veteran minimum he would have hung his cleats up already.

MJZiggy
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
You're thinking this is the first year he's ever made millions? He's been a well-paid QB for 17 years. I gotta think he's saved some up.

MadtownPacker
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM

I think Brett is pulling a fast one.

He's taking all the heat off the guys and having the media mess with him 'cause he can totally handle it. He may do more of this next week.I was thinking that too. Seems kinda funny he would say this in during the season. He has always waited the last few years.

Have you noticed the lack of dumb comments from the young players? Haven't heard any guarantees or any of that crap. Works for me.

MadtownPacker
01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree, but to say someone doesn't need 10 mil is crazy talk. Anyone could certainly make use of 10 million dollars. My guess is if he was getting the veteran minimum he would have hung his cleats up already.If Favre wanted 10 million he could just do a bunch of commercials/endorsements.

If he was getting the veteran's minimum it would mean he was playing like crap. Thats is why he would hang up the cleats like he has said, several times. Not because he wasn't get paid as much.

You warming up for Dumbest post of '08?

swede
01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I know I risk introducing blasphemy here in Packerdom, but do you guys ever envision a day when Favre, not quite having enough to be a starter anymore, but enough to be a very capable back-up, moves on to another team? I'm thinking Seattle, where he could team up once again with buddies Holmgren and Hasselbeck. Him being a back-up on a Packer team wouldn't work, would it?

Brett could never stand being a back-up anywhere. He processes at a very emotional level and he wouldn't feel right about being part of a team he wasn't immediately helping as a starter.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he continues to come back in Green Bay until a SB victory or the day he just ain't feelin' it and walks off.

I do wonder if he could ever be tempted to play for another team that would beg him to start a year or two after he retired.