PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris : Contract disupute? other camp notes...

motife
05-20-2006, 06:36 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=84581&ntpid=1

SAT., MAY 20, 2006 - 12:37 AM
Packers: Missing at minicamp
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - Although he's more likely to take an approach similar to Donald Driver's relatively polite request rather than the trade-demanding Javon Walker or Mike McKenzie tack, the Green Bay Packers have another player who'd like to talk about his contract situation: Al Harris.

According to a team source, the veteran cornerback is skipping the three-day, five-practice minicamp - which technically is voluntary - because he would like the team to upgrade his contract.

Harris signed a $18.635 million extension in September 2004 - smack-dab in the middle of McKenzie's ugly return to the team and shortly before his trade to New Orleans. The extension added five years onto Harris' existing deal and contained $7 million in bonuses, though not all of them were guaranteed.

With that deal, Harris is under contract through 2009 and is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.5 million this season, $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in 2008 and $3 million in 2009. But Harris' deal has since been surpassed by a number of corners in the league, including new teammate Charles Woodson.

When reached on his cell phone Friday night and asked why he wasn't attending the minicamp, Harris said, "Just family matters." Asked whether his absence had anything to do with his contract situation, Harris refused to comment. Harris' San Diego-based agent, Jack Bechta, did not return a message.

Asked about Harris' situation on Thursday, general manager Ted Thompson reiterated that the team doesn't discuss contract matters publicly and pointed out that the camp is indeed voluntary. Coach Mike McCarthy would only say that Harris wasn't in attendance because of a "personal" matter when asked about his absence after practice Friday.

Harris was one of six healthy veteran players who were not at Friday's practices: Quarterback Brett Favre, Woodson, fullback William Henderson, wide receiver Rod Gardner, defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Again, McCarthy wouldn't say why the others were missing.

Three rookies - linebacker A.J. Hawk, offensive tackle Tony Moll and linebacker Kevin Schimmelmann - were also absent for academic reasons.

Presumably, Harris was less than thrilled with the contract the Packers gave Woodson.

Woodson received a seven-year deal that included a $4 million signing bonus, a $4 million roster bonus and incentives that could pay him $950,000 more this year on top of his $1.25 million base salary, meaning he'll make anywhere from $9 million to $10 million this year.

At the mandatory post-draft minicamp, Harris gave no indication that he was unhappy with his contract or with Woodson, talking excitedly about the prospect of the two playing together.

Harris signed his extension before becoming the Packers' designated shut-down corner, matching up in most games with the opponent's top wide receiver. He hasn't missed a start since coming to Green Bay in March 2003 in a trade with Philadelphia and has intercepted eight passes, three of which have been returned for touchdowns. He had a team-best three interceptions last season and was a Pro Bowl alternate.

Unlike McKenzie, who skipped all offseason workouts in 2004 to force his trade to New Orleans, and Walker, who boycotted all the 2005 offseason practices and vowed to do so again this year before he was traded on draft day to Denver, Harris has never missed a minicamp.

Driver, the team's leading receiver, also had been unhappy with his contract before signing a four-year, $17 million extension last week. Although he let the team know of his dissatisfaction with his deal, Driver never threatened to hold out of training camp or asked to be traded, and Harris seems unlikely to make such demands.

Packers notes: Whitticker on the move?
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - Will Whitticker is a smart guy. He knows a bad sign when he sees one.

After starting 14 games at guard last season, the Green Bay Packers second-year offensive lineman finds himself wondering about the new coaching staff's plans for him. Rather than working at guard, Whitticker is at left tackle with the No. 1 line for the second straight minicamp - but only because starter Chad Clifton and primary backup Adrian Klemm are out with knee injuries.

With the team switching to a zone-blocking scheme, the 6-foot-5, 338-pound Whitticker, who never played tackle before, could go from starting as a surprising rookie seventh-round pick to out of a job in less than a year.

"I don't know what to think," Whitticker said between practices Friday. "I'm up and down. You feel at times like, who knows what your future is here? I just have to make the most of it."

Asked about Whitticker Friday night, offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski's initial reply was, "Let's move on." When pressed, Jagodzinski said, "He needs to fit in with what we're doing. And he is. He's giving good effort."

But is Whitticker a tackle?

"That's where he's playing right now. We're short some guys," Jagodzinski said. "He's a smart kid. We're just trying to get different combinations in there and see who the best fit is where. What you're seeing out there isn't what you're going to see in the fall."

Whitticker just hopes he's around then.

"Look, if I'm destined to be here, then I'll be here. If not, I have to hope I get picked up by another team and I go play there," said Whitticker, who has watched Junius Coston and rookie Daryn Colledge work as the No. 1 guards. "But you can't look that far ahead. Right now, I'm still here with the Green Bay Packers and I hope to be on the team next year."

Let's get physical

Cornerback Ahmad Carroll got into one of the more violent minicamp scraps in recent memory toward the end of the morning practice with wide receiver Ruvell Martin.

Such fights usually happen in training camp, when the players are in pads and temperatures - and tempers - rise, but Carroll got so mad at Martin at the end of a play that he hit the receiver several times with a closed fist, first in the helmet and then in the midsection. The two eventually were separated.

"I don't think anybody minds a fight every once in a while, but fighting on a football field, I don't think is very smart," coach Mike McCarthy said.

Asked if the two made up afterwards, Martin said, "No, I haven't talked to him. But I don't really talk to him anyways."

From the infirmary

Safety Marquand Manuel, who came over as a free agent from Seattle, took part in individual and position drills but was withheld from team drills because of the groin injury he suffered in Super Bowl XL. Manuel didn't do anything at the post-draft minicamp. ... Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson practiced after missing the first camp with a shoulder injury. ... Carroll sat out the afternoon practice with an ankle injury. ... Rookie linebacker Tim Goodwell suffered a right foot injury during the morning session. ... Seven injured players - cornerback Jason Horton, halfbacks Chaz Williams and Najeh Davenport, linebacker Brady Poppinga, defensive tackle Tim McGill, Klemm and Clifton - watched practice, while injured running back Ahman Green, safety Jeremy Thornburg and linebacker Kurt Campbell were nowhere to be seen.

On the Web

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Let's see, Al Harris has a fixed salary of 1.5. So does Woodson. He's gonna get a million in incentives, and his bonus counts 875.

Woodson get 4.5 in bonuses this year. His signing bonus counts 666K.

Yup, Woodson is really well paid and Harris is really well paid, too. The difference is 3.5 Million in LTBE bonus money, less 200k pro-rated bonus.

Anyone here think Harris has a legit case?

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Legit case? What difference does that make? If the story is true, that Harris wants more cash up front this year, theonly thing that matters is that he thinks he can get more. And why might he think that? What could possibly convince Harris that he might be able to get more cash from the Packers?

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Legit case? What difference does that make?

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with a player or an employee going to his/her boss and asking for a raise. Provided they have a legit case.

The camp is voluntary and Harris is a no brainer to start, so let's forget his AWOL label. If he decides he wants to hold out, that would be a bitch. We can't cut him, his cap number is between 3.5 and 4.5 million (before - after June). We might trade him, but to whom and for how much in return?

Our roster is exploding with competition at most positions as it is. Unless we get a mauling DE or another shut down corner, what position do we need help at? Most of you will scream WR, but with the cast we have, those same voices are screaming we take 6 onto the roster, so adding another WR will only cause you more heartbreak.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 08:56 AM
This is what worries me. I didn't think the Packers should have done that for the Donald untill next off season.

Great......TT better firm up because if he starts rolling over he's going to get steam rolled by money hungry players and the vulchers known as agents.

MJZiggy
05-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't buy that story for even a minute. Coach Mac said he was out for personal reasons, he has been happy and excited to be playing with Woodson since he signed and like the article said, he's just not the type to go skipping an opportunity to work with the team over a contract that was redone two years ago that he's never peeped about before.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 09:00 AM
...I didn't think the Packers should have done that for the Donald untill next off season....

This is why I was screaming to pay DD BEFORE he acted up. Walker was always gonna be a bitch. TT shoulda used last year's residual cap space and a portion of this year's to lock DD up in December.

That way, all TT would need to do is point Harris in DD's direction and say "we WILL take care of our performers"....

I wish TT had of read PR earlier....

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 09:04 AM
I guess as a corner you could say he's underpaid. Hell, if the team is going to do for Driver what they did, why not line up. I know I would if I was Barnett, Tauscher, Gado ect.......

Why not go get more since the team is so willing to give it early. Thompson just set a precident and half of me hopes he gets his ass burned for it. Now he's going ot have to deal with the consequences and like a 3rd grader someone should explain to him why what he did caused this if he doesn't already know.

Unfortunately GM's dont' get too many chances and if he flames out becuase he caved under pressure then he probably won't get antoher chance like the irresponsible 3rd grader.

Donald is a good guy, but this is a buisness and Thompson just fucked up really bad. He might have a hard time recovering from this collosal fuck up.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Boy, Nick, don't bitch slap TT for rewarding DD. It was the only thing to do.
Bitch slap those that think they can take advantage.

Ziggy has issued doubts, so let's wait and see. Zig knows her shit. Harris has been a good guy, till now. The press are trying to get inside our heads and it's working.

TT has done a great job. He got players for Walker even though I wanted revenge. Shows you why I'm not a GM and TT is...

MJZiggy
05-20-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't see that at all and I still am not convinced that this isn't just another media-invented problem that in real life is untrue. When they have a quote from Harris or his agent saying anything other than what Harris himself was quoted after Woodson signed (remember that quote--'cant wait to get on the field with him? We're gonna be unstoppable or whatever he said?). I'll take the word from the horse's mouth before I give a lot of credence to what Wilde says. Also, I watched Coach Mac's comments from yesterday where he was asked point blank if it had anything to do with Harris's contract and he said, "No, it's for personal reasons." and later added that this was a voluntary camp and there were 23 guys away or not playing.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Donald is a good guy, but this is a buisness and Thompson just fucked up really bad. He might have a hard time recovering from this collosal fuck up.

Nick, you're jumping the gun a bit. I think this has more to do with Woodson than with Driver.

GM is a crummy job sometimes. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 10:00 AM
We'll see. I know if I was an agent of an underpaid Packer I'd be thinking money right about now. If I was a player and I only got one chance to earn millions and I just realized Thompson does early deals that I would start to put pressure on right now.

It's common sense. Why should Driver get paid early and not me? Lets see how it goes but I think Thompson just created a load of head aches by doing this. He better not do this for everyone.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 10:05 AM
We'll see. I know if I was an agent of an underpaid Packer I'd be thinking money right about now. If I was a player and I only got one chance to earn millions and I just realized Thompson does early deals that I would start to put pressure on right now.

It's common sense. Why should Driver get paid early and not me? Lets see how it goes but I think Thompson just created a load of head aches by doing this. He better not do this for everyone.

You think this is just the Packers? The offseason is when every NFL player thinks about their money. Some of them think about it all year long.

Driver had 2 years left. How many years does Harris have left on his deal?

Charles Woodson
05-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I think harris is a little afraid and jelous of woodson. i mean woodson gets paid more, and it also means that he could put a fight up for the number one corner. i think harris wants reasurance that hes still gana be in greenbay

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Lets see how it goes but I think Thompson just created a load of head aches by doing this. He better not do this for everyone.

Well he can't do it for everyone.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 10:09 AM
I think harris is a little afraid and jelous of woodson. i mean woodson gets paid more, and it also means that he could put a fight up for the number one corner. i think harris wants reasurance that hes still gana be in greenbay

I think he's jealous of the big payday. Woodson hasn't done anything for years. Harris has.

Thompson has to figure out how to tell him no, without it being perceived as the "disrespectful no" he gave to Javon. That's the sucky part of the job.

Charles Woodson
05-20-2006, 10:10 AM

I think he's jealous of the big payday. Woodson hasn't done anything for years. Harris has.

Thompson has to figure out how to tell him no, without it being perceived as the "disrespectful no" he gave to Javon. That's the sucky part of the job.

What he should do is tell him that if he does good this year then he will get a raise. i mean this guy has done alot for us, i still remember the pick against seattle he had in the playoffs.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 10:16 AM
What he should do is tell him that if he does good this year then he will get a raise. i mean this guy has done alot for us, i still remember the pick against seattle he had in the playoffs.

I don't think he should do that. Harris is on the backside of his career, and Thompson can't be making any promises about upgrading the contracts of declining players. I think it's a slippery slope anytime you start making those kinds of promises.

When you sign any player to a contract, it's always in the hope and expectation that he plays well for you. So playing well isn't automatic cause for a big fat signing bonus and extension.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 10:16 AM

See what I mean? This is what the exact type of shit that runs through these guys minds. Our own posters are proving my point for me. It's common sense. Guys want to get paid and they think if they sign a bad deal they can perform for one more year. What a joke.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Harris should be thrilled by the addition of Woodson and what it potentially means for Harris' career. Clearly Offenses will be "picking" on Harris. The additional attention will give him a fantastic oppotunity to showcase his stuff.

Harris will earn at least 2.5 million dollars this year. He sits back, he has a pro bowl year, he renegotiates. Where the fuck is the problem with that?

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 10:19 AM
LOL,

You saw that SC...Way to go on damage control. I'm telling you guys; these players think they can get it early now. Driver is good, but he's not much better than Barnett or Harris. Thompson might as well have put a big fucking sign on Lambeau field saying "if you think you're underpaid, just ask nice and we'll give you a big bonus and a secure contract"

Just plain bad buisness.

Charles Woodson
05-20-2006, 10:19 AM

I don't think he should do that. Harris is on the backside of his career, and Thompson can't be making any promises about upgrading the contracts of declining players. I think it's a slippery slope anytime you start making those kinds of promises.

When you sign any player to a contract, it's always in the hope and expectation that he plays well for you. So playing well isn't automatic cause for a big fat signing bonus and extension.

True i forgot how old harris was, my bad

Charles Woodson
05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
LOL,

You saw that SC...Way to go on damage control. I'm telling you guys; these players think they can get it early now. Driver is good, but he's not much better than Barnett or Harris. Thompson might as well have put a big fucking sign on Lambeau field saying "if you think you're underpaid, just ask nice and we'll give you a big bonus and a secure contract"

Just plain bad buisness.

WTF collins. bro ok so are you trying to say that you shouldnt give guys bonuses?

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 10:26 AM
LOL,

Just plain bad buisness.

See, you keep trying make this about Driver. I doubt that's the case. I think this has lots more to do with the Woodson signing.

I think Driver's extension was a good move by the Packers.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Can we agree that the more you pay player A the less you have to pay for player B.

So paying guys more hurts your team.

If we do not agree on that basic concept then I am wasting my time talking to you. If you agree, we can go forward.

Do you see how paying more negatively effects the team?

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Can we agree that the more you pay player A the less you have to pay for player B.

If we do not agree on that basic concept then I am wasting my time talking to you. If you agree, we can go forward.

Sorry, I can't move forward on the premise of this collective statement. Call me stupid, but, I always think you pay for value.

MJZiggy
05-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Can we agree that when you get a reputation for not paying players it becomes more difficult to get them to play for your team and more difficult to hold onto them once you have them there?

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 11:00 AM
You obvously didn't read what I said. I didn't say anything about paying for value.

I said, paying more takes away from other parts of your team and therefor paying less is better for the team.

Getting more for your money = Good
Getting less for your money = Bad

Your not stupid, I'm sure your smart in other areas but this is something that is clearly over your head.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 11:00 AM

In some circles that's called a "zero sum game". And that's what paying players is under the salary cap. And yeah, you're probably wasting our time talking to me.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM

Can we agree that when you get a reputation for not paying players it becomes more difficult to get them to play for your team and more difficult to hold onto them once you have them there?

What about the reputation that you get when you pay guys early? Do we need another Walker/McKeninzie situation?

MJZiggy
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
We got the Walker situation because we wouldn't pay him early, not because we would.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Your not stupid, I'm sure your smart in other areas but this is something that is clearly over your head.

At least when I'm condescending, I do it intentionally.

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 11:04 AM

Lets not forget the team morale, Driver more than busted his ass for it, and it should have never been made public that he asked for more money. If it was under the table fine, but to spill it out blatantly in public is a mistake, and now players are looking for the wholes in the whole deal. I can see it both ways for morale, like ziggy said how are you going to keep players around if you won't show an effort to sign some of your own that performed. Also driver performed to a very high level, whereas harris isn't even close in that category, or barnett for that matter.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 11:13 AM

Lets not forget the team morale, Driver more than busted his ass for it, and it should have never been made public that he asked for more money. If it was under the table fine, but to spill it out blatantly in public is a mistake, and now players are looking for the wholes in the whole deal. I can see it both ways for morale, like ziggy said how are you going to keep players around if you won't show an effort to sign some of your own that performed. Also driver performed to a very high level, whereas harris isn't even close in that category, or barnett for that matter.

Thank you for making sense.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I think you show them the money when the contract is up like with Kampman and Franks...Everyone can agree that those two got what they are worth.

Why pay Driver extra when you can have Mike Wahle instead of Will Whittaker. I don't know, ask Ted Thompson.

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Would they have been able to afford Wahle at the time, I think it would have been close. I guess they could have structured the contract so the big cap hits would have been this year and the next couple years, Especially knowing before hand that the CBA would be up this past year and knowing more than likely the cap would be growing by quite a percent when the CBA got extended. That's the one thing I would like to find out. I believe they could have kept Wahle by delaying the big cap numbers until this year. I'm probably wrong but there should be a way to do that.

MJZiggy
05-20-2006, 11:31 AM
But you STILL have to get him to agree to do it. From what I understand, that was a big part of the problem. So many people forget that the team cannot just snap its fingers and the player will agree to whatever they're offered.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 11:33 AM
There was a way to keep Wahle. HOnestly, they probably could have given him less than Carolina did if they would have just restructured it. They could have pushed things off and maybe given Brett some money as a signing bonus isntead of as a salary.

Thompson said he did not let Wahle go because he couldn't afford it. He said there are ways.

Thompson undervalued Wahle but the point I'm trying to make is that by giving Driver that money they took money away from other areas. I'm trying to show how it has a negative effect on the outcome..

I acknowledge the moral thing. I understand that. The problem I have is that everyone else is blind to the fact that it has a negative effect as well.

MadtownPacker
05-20-2006, 12:01 PM
No one is blind to anything NC. Again you are changing your opinion like a light switch. You where a TT backer last week. Stay consistent.

So what if Harris wants more money. I want more money too. Everyone does. So what if he makes it public. He aint a threat to hold out so I see NO problem at all.

TT job is not to be loved by the players. In fact I prefer they fear being cut if they cant beat out the competition. That was they problem with Sherm as GM/Coach. He couldnt be the hatchet man and their buddy at the same time. TT doesnt care about anything except upgrading the roster and if feelings gets hurt along the way too dam bad.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Wahle did not want to stay under Sherman. I wish you people would finally grasp this. He fucking said so. The money was important, the coach was omnipotent. He hated playing under Sherman. There was no amount of money we coulda thrown at the guy.

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Tarlam,

You could be right that Wahle didn't want to play 'under Sherman' (I wonder how APB would interpret that). But, given the behavior of a lot of guys before and after they receive their new contract, I suspect that Wahle would have been happy as a clam had Sherman paid him and put his mug on a game day program. let's be honest, Wahle didn't get any better after he went to Carolina. Just like Timmerman (and many other FAs as well), Wahle got into the Pro Bowl because he got some big time name recognition as the best available FA guard.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
How many seconds into the FA period was it that Wahle had his new contract again?

He didn't even let TT bite at the cherry. Wahle's mind was well made up before TT even got to GB. The whole TT blew the Wahle deal is so friggin preposterous.

Same with J-Walk. We have a rookie GM going against an agent that wants to change the NFL rulebook in week ONE of his new job. Publicly.

A year down the road, things don't sour. But Javon fucked it up big time with his choice of agent (N.B. since been corrected) and his timing.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 01:42 PM
He didn't even let TT bite at the cherry. Wahle's mind was well made up before TT even got to GB. The whole TT blew the Wahle deal is so friggin preposterous.

I think this could be very close to the truth. You think that horrific balloon payment might have actually been designed by Whale's agent so that he'd get his shot at getting out of Green Bay?

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 01:45 PM
He was gone so fast it made my head spin. If he really wanted to be a Packer, he coulda reworked the deal. Like Favre has done how many times?

pbmax
05-20-2006, 02:53 PM
He was gone so fast it made my head spin. If he really wanted to be a Packer, he coulda reworked the deal. Like Favre has done how many times?
Tarlam, I don't think Wahle was gone that fast. The comments I remember reading included the club and Wahle recognizing that the Packers weren't going to increase the offer or terms they discussed. Carolina came in clearly over that. Perhaps Wahle didn't bring that offer back to the Packers, but from the comments, it would not have made a difference.

To previous posts, of course you can spread the pain around in the contract and void it later. But that was why Sherman never had any room. He had monster cap numbers he had to carry or eat because of the backloaded deals. And we didn't have the room to either eat a huge bonus or semi-guarantees in the early years, like Woodson's or Kampman's deal this year.

Wahle would have been expensive and it would have been backloaded. He had already delayed his payday by agreeing to that pay me or cut me $6 million roster bonus as part of the extension Sherman signed him to. He wasn't taking a second discount or delay.

He is a great guard. But a good case can be made that a guard isn't worth that percentage of your cap.

Rivera was a risk because even a reduced rate, he was older and had more frequent injuries (including two new ones for the Cowboys). Not everyone is Mark Schlereth, playing the zone blocking scheme after 27 knee surgeries.

The one area a team can control, new, fresh talent, was the downfall of Sherman's roster. There was no depth and so when injuries and FA hit, the cupboard was bare.

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Two points about the balloon payment. The Packers (under Wolf) panicked because they hadn't signed Wahle and basically allowed the balloon payment to be put into his contract so that the Packers would have to re-wrok his contract in three years. He had more leverage at the signing of the contract and got a good deal. Despite the balloon payment, there was no reason the Packers couldn't have reworked his contract at any time prior to free agency.

Sure, there are a handful of guys that are unhappy with their teams, for reasons other than salary, but it's odd that despite the fact that the overwhelming number of circumstances turn out to be money related, there are all these fans, even the mostly smart guys on this site, that are willing to believe that players really want out more than they just want a better contract.

From all the article on Wahle, I only saw one where he said he wanted his picture on a game day program and that his wife/fiance/girlfriend might have thought there was a more cosmopolitan city to live in. I'm guessing that she wouldn't have minded had the Packers forked over an 11 mil signing bonus and that Wahle would be happy with his picture taken and 11 million bucks in his pocket. Why is this so hard to understand?

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 03:39 PM
"He didn't even let TT bite at the cherry."

----

Maybe this was the problem. APB might argue that TT wasn't interested in the cherry.

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 03:42 PM
There are some good posts on the ballooning Wahle deal, and I may have to review my previous stance as a result.

Fact remains, though, that Wahle openly stated he wanted out of GB at the time Sherm was still GM......I only wish I could dig up that friggin source... :oops:

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 03:48 PM
"Fact remains, though, that Wahle openly stated he wanted out of GB at the time Sherm was still GM......I only wish I could dig up that friggin source..."

-----

you're absolutely right about this. The question remains whether it was a ploy to get a better deal and/or whether he meant it. I'm on the side of believing that most of player 'unhappiness' is based solely on contract money - either a player figures he's worth more, or he just wants more coin and figures he has some leverage in hinting the place stinks. Maybe, as might be part of the case with driver, management figures it's worth their while to shut a guy up.

MJZiggy
05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=291961

Bretsky
05-20-2006, 05:30 PM
THE AL HARRIS STORY MIGHT BE CRAP

SATURDAY, May 20, 2006, 1:55 p.m.
By Rob Reischel and Lori Nickel

Harris not sitting out because of contract
Green Bay -- Green Bay Packers cornerback Al Harris isn't at the team's minicamp this weekend. But according to Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, it's because of a personal issue with his parents, not his contract, as has been reported.

During an interview with the Journal Sentinel Thursday, Bechta said the Harris camp might lobby for more money at the end of the 2006 campaign. In the interim, Bechta said Harris would never consider holding out.

"He's not Mike McKenzie. That's not Al," Bechta said.

Last month, the Packers signed free agent cornerback Charles Woodson to a seven-year, $39.03 million deal. When asked at the first minicamp two weeks ago if he was happy with his deal, Harris said: "Hell no! But I won't do what Mike McKenzie did. That's not me. That's not my style."

Meanwhile at the Packers morning practice, receiver Rod Gardner and fullback William Henderson joined the team after missing the practices Friday. Ahmad Carroll returned to action after tweaking his ankle Friday. The Packers practice again at 3 p.m.

For more on Harris' contract situation and other minicamp news from Saturday practice, visit JSOnline Sunday.

Harlan Huckleby
05-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Woodson got a bigger contract because he hit free agency when the salary cap was going up. Everybody knows G.B. overpayed for Woodson, but he was still the best player available, so they went for it. You can't overpay every player on the roster!

I think Harris has a fair deal. I beleive contracts should be renegotiated only when a player is paid greatly under market value, as with Donald Driver.

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Zig,

Good link. There's another article where Wahle compained about not being on the media guide, etc. I think it's a bit bogus, but when I get a chance I'll dig it up.

gbpackfan
05-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Sorry guys, I started another post about the bogus Harris story. I just thought it was that important to get it out there.

motife
05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
My understanding is Wahle offered the Packers the right of first refusal on the final contract offer he got from Carolina, and Ted Thompson declined the opportunity. Wahle did not leave Green Bay disgruntled.

Guiness
05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
How many seconds into the FA period was it that Wahle had his new contract again?

Don't know if I agree with that. I think the Pack's time to negotiate with Wahle was BEFORE his bonus came due. They could've restructured, extended, etc, but chose not to.

You make it sound like he became an FA when his contract was up. That's not the case, he was cut. I doubt he or his agent would be stupid enough to do any serious negotiations before that happened.

Guiness
05-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Ok, two weeks ago, it seemed everybody was screaming Pay DD! Now, it's I can't believe they were stupid enough to pay DD! I wish I wasn't too lazy to go see if it's the same posters.

Someone mentioned that DD should not have gone public. Did he actually do that? Was he quoted? I always thought it was just heresay.

RashanGary
05-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Go look it up Guiness. I wasn't one of them. I gaurentee it.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2006, 12:20 AM
From GB Press Gazette:

Fullback William Henderson and receiver Rod Gardner showed up for the second day of Packers minicamp this morning after not being in attendance on Friday.

Gardner said he missed minicamp on Friday because of a prior commitment but plans to attend the team’s organized team activities scheduled from May 31 to June 21.

Gardner, who was picked up by the Packers late in the 2005 season and signed a one-year contract during the off-season, said he had a good feeling he would return to the Packers.

“I love Green Bay,” Gardner said. “The fan support, the games, even coming in with the players, they welcomed me from Day 1. It was a good experience for me. I loved it.”

Tarlam!
05-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Guiness, I already admitted rethinking my entire position on Wahle, but two things are accurate:

1. He signed in lightning speed.
2. We could not have paid him that contract at that time anyway.

And, he was disgruntled.

Bretsky
05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
From GB Press Gazette:

Fullback William Henderson and receiver Rod Gardner showed up for the second day of Packers minicamp this morning after not being in attendance on Friday.

Gardner said he missed minicamp on Friday because of a prior commitment but plans to attend the team’s organized team activities scheduled from May 31 to June 21.

Gardner, who was picked up by the Packers late in the 2005 season and signed a one-year contract during the off-season, said he had a good feeling he would return to the Packers.

“I love Green Bay,” Gardner said. “The fan support, the games, even coming in with the players, they welcomed me from Day 1. It was a good experience for me. I loved it.”

GREAT NEWS; WE NEED GARDNER OR JENNINGS TO BE ADEQUATE #2's OR WE ARE GOING TO BE IN TROUBLE.

MY GUT TELLS ME GARDNER IS THE GUY WHILE JENNINGS IS AN OK #3 RIGHT AWAY.