PDA

View Full Version : The nun gets the tickets.

packinpatland
01-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Is anyone surprised? :roll:
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/01/10/3/

Altho............we may now have an unfair advantage :wink:

Fosco33
01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
God IS a Packer fan afterall...

MadtownPacker
01-11-2008, 07:35 PM
God IS a Packer fan afterall...Haha... yeah I will take it as a sign.

Guess whoever picked the winner wanted to make sure the Pack was in good standings with God before Saturday. :D

RashanGary
01-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Undeserving bitch.

packinpatland
01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
whoaaaa........parochial school product? :shock:

MadtownPacker
01-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds like JH was on the wrong side of too many ruler brandished beatdowns. :lol:

MJZiggy
01-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Now she's gotta go back. She's gonna freeze her rosary beads again, cause I don't know that they'll let her bring in a sleeping bag like last time. Anyone know for sure? I read about people bringing coffee cans and lighting small fires in them to keep their feet warm in the Ice Bowl. Don't think that'll be happening this time either.

BallHawk
01-13-2008, 11:04 PM
She's gonna freeze her rosary beads again

I don't think that's anatomically possible.

GrnBay007
01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Stop doggin the nun. Geez, she's a Packer fan and has obviously paid her dues.......dang, the woman has gone without sex!!!! :shock: :wink:

MJZiggy
01-13-2008, 11:10 PM
She's gonna freeze her rosary beads again

I don't think that's anatomically possible.

Did you people even read her entry?

Freak Out
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm going to win some tickets to the game this weekend. Who wants to go?

CaliforniaCheez
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
My understanding is they take a vow of poverty and own little to nothing.

She could not afford tickets.

Do you really think your essay was going to win?

It could have been the impovershed handicapped orphan kid from Outer Mongolia.

The judges have to have a heart. That's what the contest was all about.
Good PR for the Packers.

Freak Out
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Sounds like JH was on the wrong side of too many ruler brandished beatdowns. :lol:

Catholic canings. :lol:

Fosco33
01-14-2008, 07:57 PM
I say the Nun makes a round 2 visit on Sunday.

I'll be sure to snap a picture 8-)

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
She does. That was part of the deal. If she was needed, she was supposed to be able to do it again. I'm sure she won't mind.

packinpatland
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Given that she's so 'local', why would she not?

green_bowl_packer
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Am I mistaken or was there a nun out for the coin flip with the Packer's captains on Saturday or was I seeing things? (maybe someone who tivo'd the game can confirm, could of sworn I saw it at the bar) And if so, was that the same one? That's a hell of contest to win if that was her.

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
That's the very nun we're discussing.

Jimx29
01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.catholicnews.com/photos/08hp0018.htm

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
A fan since 1945! Bless her Packer-lovin heart!!

She just may be our Lucky Charm. :D

If she's present at the game on Sunday and the Packers win, I say she MUST go to the Superbowl!!

FavreChild
01-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Indeed, she will be there again! Here's the text of an e-mail forward I got today about it - don't know the original source:

The Pack's Secret Weapon

Candidly, it seems the case that more American Catholics spend their Sundays watching football than "hearing" Mass. Not the best of stats, of course, but that's where things are these days.

Not a few of us, though, fall into the "both/and" category... and with conference championships -- the games that'll determine who makes Super Bowl XLII in Phoenix -- at hand this weekend, they might as well cancel the "late-bird" Masses in Green Bay and New York.

The Packers and Giants face off for the NFC title at Lambeau Field, with gametime forecasts seeing temperatures around 0 degrees (-17C). And for the second playoff game in a row, a Franciscan sister-superfan will be leading the faithful from midfield.

The Cowboys' loss is Sister Sean Marie Tobin's gain.

The nun won an essay contest that put her at midfield for the coin toss before last Saturday's Packer game at Lambeau Field.

Here's what the fine print says: "The winner will be asked to repeat his or her duties for a second home playoff game, if applicable."

Well, it's applicable, baby. While the top-seeded Cowboys clean out their lockers, the Packers are hosting the New York Giants this Sunday for the NFC crown and a trip to the Super Bowl.

And Tobin is returning to the tundra to do it all over again. The Packers on Tuesday FedEx'd two more free game tickets to the Holy Family Convent in Manitowoc.

Tobin, 68, belongs to the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, and she's led them on field trips to watch the Packers practice. Former head coach Mike Sherman once visited the convent and personally bought the sisters a bigger TV after he saw the small set they used to watch the games.

Tobin's driver and companion for Sunday's game will again be Sister Anne Turba, also from Holy Family.

As Honorary G-Force Captain, Tobin was Lambeau royalty Saturday. And she wasn't shy about using her bully pulpit as she joined Brett Favre, Donald Driver, Aaron Kampman and Nick Barnett on the field to face Matt Hasselbeck and the other Seattle Seahawks.

"I just said today the ball is ours. You're not going to get it, Matt," she said. "That tickled Favre, and he got this big grin."

Tobin explained in the essay that her love for Packers football was instilled in childhood by her father, Bernie Tobin. She was born in Milwaukee and went to Mount Mary College before joining the convent in 1960.

The last game she attended with her father was the Ice Bowl. I know, everyone claims they were at that game, but she's a nun so I believe her.

"This game was a challenge. I was stuffed, long habit and full garb, into a sleeping bag up to my nose, and almost bunny-hopped over the bleachers on the last play," she says in her entertaining entry that beat out some 5,000 other hopefuls. It helps that she used to teach English in school.

"If the game had lasted any longer, my fingers would have been permanently stuck to my rosary beads."

Their seats that day were at the 50 yard line, coincidentally very near where she and Turba sat last Saturday. Their seats this Sunday are indoors because of the expected cold temperatures.

Turba said Tobin got a rock star welcome from the crowd. The sisters had packed sandwiches for the game, but tailgaters freely offered whatever they were eating. Fans posed with her for photographs, cheered as she made her way to her seat, and wiped their car clear of snow after the game.

"They started chanting MVP for her. She said this is getting a little embarrassing," Turba said.

Be afraid, Giants fans... and start praying.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Turba said Tobin got a rock star welcome from the crowd. The sisters had packed sandwiches for the game, but tailgaters freely offered whatever they were eating. Fans posed with her for photographs, cheered as she made her way to her seat, and wiped their car clear of snow after the game.

"They started chanting MVP for her. She said this is getting a little embarrassing," Turba said.

Be afraid, Giants fans... and start praying.

Cool!!

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
As Honorary G-Force Captain, Tobin was Lambeau royalty Saturday. And she wasn't shy about using her bully pulpit as she joined Brett Favre, Donald Driver, Aaron Kampman and Nick Barnett on the field to face Matt Hasselbeck and the other Seattle Seahawks.

"I just said today the ball is ours. You're not going to get it, Matt," she said. "That tickled Favre, and he got this big grin."

She's OK in my book. :wink:

the_idle_threat
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
A lot of that comes from Jim Stingl's article at JSO. See this link for the rest of the article.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=707655

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:18 PM
My understanding is they take a vow of poverty and own little to nothing.

She could not afford tickets.

It depends on the order. I was a novice in a religious order 10 years ago (I'll tell the story of watching Super Bowl XXXII on a watchman while on retreat another time) that took a simple vow of poverty rather than a solemn vow.

Solemn vows of poverty mean that a religious priest, brother, or sister can own nothing. He/she must dispense of all possessions before taking final vows. Religious take temporary vows for 3 years before professing final vows.

Possessions can be given to whomever the religious chooses to give them. It could be family, friends, charity, etc. A religious may give them to the order they're joining, but the order usually has in their constitutions that it can only be after a certain period of time after taking final vows. The order I was in had that period of time as 10 years.

Simple vows means a religious priest, brother, or sister can own property but cannot use it. The order I was in took simple vows.

This means I could still own a house but I couldn't live there. I could rent it out, but I couldn't use the money I collect from rent. I could sell the house and keep the money, but I couldn't draw from it.

Any property or monies must be put in a patrimony. The religious must legally delegate someone to adminster this patrimony. For example, if I owned a house I would have to appoint someone to pay taxes, pay bills, and do general upkeep of the property. I could also state this person should draw a certain amount per week, month, year, etc. If I had a portfolio, I would have to legally appoint someone administer it. Same thing with a bank account.

Religious get a stipend to take care of their personal needs. This includes clothes, toiletries, etc. Normally religious don't wear their habit in private. Some wear it all the time, but most wear regular clothes. Habit is provided by the order.

The order provides food and shelter as well. All medical care is provided by the order. There are even still a few orders that raise their own livestock and grow their own fruit and vegetables. Most have someone go shopping at the grocery store.

Religious priests differ from secular priests in that secular priests a/k/a diocesean priests, don't take vows of poverty and chastitiy. Diocesean priests take a vow of celibacy rather than chastity. Celibacy means a priest will not get married. Chastity means a priest is giving to God what he could give to a woman in the sacrament of Matrimony. There is no outward difference because to have sexual intercourse outside of marriage is a mortal sin. This makes the recent priest scandals even worse because the sin involves adolescents and children.

Nuns can only be in religious orders. There is no such thing as a secular sister or brother.

Sr. Sean Marie is a Franciscan sister so my guess is she has taken solemn vows. Newer religious orders (by newer I mean within the last 700 years - Catholic Church has been around for 2,000 years so 700 is new) take solemn vows.

I'm glad she had an opportunity to go to the game. It might have been the last game she ever had the opportunity to attend.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Interesting stuff Jerry.

I wonder what sort of holy smack talk she has in store for the Giants.

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd come onto the football forum and read a first hand essay on religious orders and vows...One of the things I love about this place...

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd come onto the football forum and read a first hand essay on religious orders and vows...One of the things I love about this place...
I'll post my Super Bowl XXXII story after Sunday's game. I may wait until after the Super Bowl because people may blame me for the loss to Denver after reading it. :wink:

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Undeserving bitch.
It's not right to call a nun that name even if it's only in jest.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Here ya go Jerry....

:P

An Irish priest is driving down to New York and gets stopped for speeding in Connecticut . The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest's breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car.

He says, "Sir, have you been drinking?"

"Just water," says the priest.

The trooper says, "Then why do I smell wine?"

The priest looks at the bottle and says, "Good Lord! He's done it again!"
:P

Jerry Tagge
01-18-2008, 12:03 AM
That's a good one 007. :D

CaliforniaCheez
01-18-2008, 12:40 AM
I knew a gal who was about to become a nun and she had to sell her car.

When I was going to Monterey CA for a couple of weeks she recommend a bar she knew. She was the judge of their annual chili cook off.

My buddy and I went there one night and told the bar tender she told us to stop in. We each had 4 drinks on the house and could have had more.

The funny thing was her last name was Moses. Whenever we called her over we would say "Moses come hither!"

Too bad she even had to quit the job. Great sense of humor. She teaches high school in San Franciso now. Very popular person. Maybe in 25 years Sister Moses will be at a 49'ers game doing the same thing.
This Green Bay Nun's head isn't high enough to reach the bottom of the players' shoulder pads!! No one will mess with her though.

Iron Mike
01-18-2008, 07:10 AM
When I was going to Monterey CA for a couple of weeks she recommend a bar she knew. She was the judge of their annual chili cook off.

My buddy and I went there one night and told the bar tender she told us to stop in. We each had 4 drinks on the house and could have had more.

Yikes......when I was stationed in Monterey 20+ years ago, there were only 4 or 5 bars in the city.

I have a pretty funny story about a bar on Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove, tho. :P

jpompo
01-18-2008, 11:18 AM
This lady stopped by our tailgate last week. I would say it was weird to see someone dressed as a nun at Lambeau but all I had to do was look around at the other freak shows to realize she fit right in.