PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker to Denver? Hot AIR !?

woodbuck27
04-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Packers Broncos trade probaby hot air

Written by PackerChatters Staff
Sunday, 02 April 2006

Denver CO - A trade for wide receiver Javon Walker would make sense for the Broncos, but it might not make the most sense for the Packers, the team that controls Walker's future.
Denver definitely is interested, as are Philadelphia and San Francisco, and Pittsburgh, New England and Buffalo might join the list of interested teams. But Green Bay is just as interested in keeping Walker, despite his proclamations that he won't play for the Packers again.

The word at the NFL owners meetings this week was that Green Bay officials are firm in their regard for Walker. They plan to hold off on trading him unless they are bowled over by an offer. It likely would take a first-round pick, and that's probably too steep a price. That's why nothing is likely to happen until the draft - if the Packers decide to trade him.

The Packers don't have much at receiver and they are counting on Walker. A Pro Bowl player when healthy, Walker is coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He also will be a free agent at the end of the 2006 season. His threats to sit out the season or retire are hollow. For a player who wants more money, he needs to play this year.

The Packers know it, so the idea of Walker playing in Denver probably won't come true.

Source: Bill Williamson - Denver Post

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 01:21 PM
The word at the NFL owners meetings this week was that Green Bay officials are firm in their regard for Walker. They plan to hold off on trading him unless they are bowled over by an offer. It likely would take a first-round pick, and that's probably too steep a price. That's why nothing is likely to happen until the draft - if the Packers decide to trade him.

I wouldn't read to much into how firm the Packers are with regard to Walker. There not about to hang a "Fire Sale" sign out on the lawn.

Partial
04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
what they should do is make him play. Its in his benefit to play hard. They should then franchise him and get the compensation they want for him.

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 02:08 PM
what they should do is make him play. Its in his benefit to play hard. They should then franchise him and get the compensation they want for him.

He could easily pull a McKenzie, and fake a strained Rosenhammy. The McKenzie debacle proved that the player has more leverage than the contract would lead you to believe. It's extremely difficult to make people do what they don't want to do.

imscott72
04-02-2006, 02:29 PM

He could easily pull a McKenzie, and fake a strained Rosenhammy. The McKenzie debacle proved that the player has more leverage than the contract would lead you to believe. It's extremely difficult to make people do what they don't want to do.

What would that get him? Bottom line, if he doesn't produce this year, then it need for a big payday it on hold. I don't think that's acceptable to him.

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 02:36 PM
What would that get him?

I think he'd get a pretty big offer, and think Javon thinks the same. Or he wouldn't be pulling this stunt. He can conduct workouts to prove he's healthy. And there will always be guys like Jerry Jones willing to take a character risk on a scumbag if they're talented enough.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2006, 02:39 PM
I think Scott is right here. We all think Javon has to come back to earn some money, but many of us (me included) thought the same thing about Mike McKenzie. McKenzie came back after holding out, faked an injury, and still managed to be of big interest to other teams.

I don't think we should give in, but don't expect anything but a very messy ending to all of this. I'd be surprised if Javon played more than 6 games for the Packers the rest of his career.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I think TO proved GMs in the NFL have a short memory. No matter what Walker does this year, if GMs think he has recovered, someone will offer to show him the money. I'm not sure how I would handle it, but I hope something can be worked out. He has a special talent, and I'd like to see it used in Green Bay.

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure how I would handle it, but I hope something can be worked out. He has a special talent, and I'd like to see it used in Green Bay.

I'm not sure there is much you can do with him at this point. He says it's about the principle and not the money.

All I'd do is begin looking back at how you structure your rookie deals so you don't set yourself up for this kind of backlash. And I'd be looking at contracts and extensions with an eye towards spreading the money more evenly over the length of the contract. Players have a short memory when it comes to the generous signing bonuses they've received. Javon sounded convinced that he only made $500K last year.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with you Scott, but the NFL, NBA and MLB are full of teams with players who said they would never play for that team again. In the end money talks. I'm not suggesting throwing money at him to keep him happy, but I haven't given up yet.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 03:59 PM
What would that get him?

I think he'd get a pretty big offer, and think Javon thinks the same. Or he wouldn't be pulling this stunt. He can conduct workouts to prove he's healthy. And there will always be guys like Jerry Jones willing to take a character risk on a scumbag if they're talented enough.The difference between Walker and McKenzie is that McKenzie held out but what essentially healthy and the Vikes knew it. Javon is coming off of a pretty major injury and if you were a GM and the guy had a major knee injury, came back and immediately "pulled his hamstring" what are you going to think about the guy. You never got to see him perform, since the first injury and now he has another. How would they know if he ever really came back from the knee or not. It also puts him further away from that pro-bowl season. If he wants the payday, he has to be as good as he possibly can because TT won't give him the opportunity to go elsewhere to prove himself.

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2006, 04:25 PM
If Walker is actually serious about not wanting to be a Packer then there is no reason keeping a player around that is going to cause constant termoil during the season and also in the off season. If Thompson can get equal value for him, why have a pissing contest? It doesn't make this team better.

Partial
04-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Franchise him after the year. You'll either get a first or be able to trade him for a second.

jack's smirking revenge
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I think Scott is right here. We all think Javon has to come back to earn some money, but many of us (me included) thought the same thing about Mike McKenzie. McKenzie came back after holding out, faked an injury, and still managed to be of big interest to other teams.

I don't think we should give in, but don't expect anything but a very messy ending to all of this. I'd be surprised if Javon played more than 6 games for the Packers the rest of his career.

I agree with both you and Scott on this situation. Javon's days as a Packer are done--even if he suits up. I do support the idea that the player has more understated leverage than a contract is supposed to allow. McKenzie and TO have proved that; if a player doesn't want to be in a situation anymore, there are options. I think it just depends on whether or not the Packers are willing to swallow their pride on the Javon situation.

This will have a messy ending, any way its spun...

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
04-02-2006, 06:53 PM
If Walker is actually serious about not wanting to be a Packer then there is no reason keeping a player around that is going to cause constant termoil during the season and also in the off season. If Thompson can get equal value for him, why have a pissing contest? It doesn't make this team better.

Totally right fat rat. If a pissing match is to follow, I'd rather we get something in return to make this team better now...

tyler

Bretsky
04-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Totally right fat rat. If a pissing match is to follow, I'd rather we get something in return to make this team better now...

tyler

COME ON GUYS WE AREN"T GETTING ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE TO FAIR VALUE FOR JW

He had the most serious Knee Surgery you could have and there is a chance that he is never 100% again after a torn ACL.

As for fair market value, that is round one. Anything less is less than fair market value.

Not to mention, after Cry me a River Walker makes all those comments it hurts his trade value even more; teams will lowball Green Bay and play the he's unhappy AND injury card.

He would probably garner a 3rd rounder at best, and no way should we take a 2nd rounder.

And nobody is giving us a first; if they were he'd have already been traded.

Cheers,
B

Bretsky
04-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Franchise him after the year. You'll either get a first or be able to trade him for a second.

DITTO

jack's smirking revenge
04-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I thought the league said that they were going to review the Franchise tag after the 2006 season because its not being used as it was intended. I'm pessimistic about this whole situation; I think he'll weasel his way out of a franchise tag or a new poison pill will be created just to f@ck the Packers over. When was the last time the Pack got fair market value for any of the players they traded away?

Javon always has the option to sit for two years and re-attempt after his contract has expired for the Packers. He'd screw himself, but he's a millionaire right now. If he truly wants to take a stand and never play for the Packers again, he could be patient and walk away with the Pack having nothing to show for it.

tyler

No Mo Moss
04-02-2006, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't read to much into how firm the Packers are with regard to Walker. There not about to hang a "Fire Sale" sign out on the lawn.

Unlike a certain purple organization I know.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 07:22 PM
He'd screw himself, but he's a millionaire right now. If he truly wants to take a stand and never play for the Packers again, he could be patient and walk away with the Pack having nothing to show for it.

tyler

Is he? Or did he make that nice signing bonus and start acting like a millionaire a little too much? Does he really have cash left? Do we think he has a nice IRA set up and is living frugally off the interest? Or did he blow it all and is broke and is crying foul as an excuse to get an immediate payday?

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Is he? Or did he make that nice signing bonus and start acting like a millionaire a little too much? Does he really have cash left? Do we think he has a nice IRA set up and is living frugally off the interest? Or did he blow it all and is broke and is crying foul as an excuse to get an immediate payday?

Good point. I think most players would tell you that by the time your done getting hosed by Uncle Sam, and you've paid your agent - it ain't nearly as much as you started with.

jack's smirking revenge
04-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, if he's broke and he's taking a stand for a payday, he's dumber than I thought. He has very little leverage, unless the Packers want to get something for him for 2006. No leverage=No money.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, the sad thing is if Javon had kept his mouth shut, he was likely looking at some type of extension this offseason--even with the injury. The Packers gave Tauscher an extension when he was coming off an injury.

Bretsky
04-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, the sad thing is if Javon had kept his mouth shut, he was likely looking at some type of extension this offseason--even with the injury. The Packers gave Tauscher an extension when he was coming off an injury.

I THINK HE IS

On TMJ weekend sports talk, the annoucers were indicating the best thing for JW is to get away from his family because once he gets here he's an OK guy. But IMO he's getting terrible advise feeding his ego. And he is an idiot.

AtownPackFan
04-03-2006, 08:04 AM

I THINK HE IS

On TMJ weekend sports talk, the annoucers were indicating the best thing for JW is to get away from his family because once he gets here he's an OK guy. But IMO he's getting terrible advise feeding his ego. And he is an idiot.

That is the same thing I heard from someone who works for him. Bottom line is he may or may not have any money left, but the way he is going about this is stupid.

He has a few endorsement deals outside of football that will go away if he is not playing somewhere and playing well.

People keep comparing this to the McKenzie deal and think McKenzie got a huge payday. JW is not looking for a measily 5 year 22 million type contract. He wants a Moss/Ownes type of deal.

No way he comes back and pulls up limp with a Rosenhammy.

Pack0514
04-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Agreed, His stepfather is a fool and putting shit in Javons head. Unfortunately, the longer this goes on, the worse the situation is going to get. I think Javon is an awesome talent and could get his money from the Packers, but he needs to stop listening to other people.

But I guess what do you expect from a guy who got a 6 on the wonderlic.

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 08:21 AM
NOW we know why teams should really be paying attention to that Wonderlic score.