PDA

View Full Version : RB Jonathan Stewart Declares Early for the NFL draft

oregonpackfan
01-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Junior Oregon Duck running back Jonathan Stewart officially declared himself eligible for the NFL draft this past week.

At 5'11'' and 230 lbs, Stewart provides a rare combination of size and speed as a running back. He is also known for gaining considerable yardage after the initial hit by a tackler.

Some scouting reports have him being drafted in the late 1st round.

Character wise, he is a fine young man. He has a great work ethic, is team-oriented, and has no off-the-field issues.

RashanGary
01-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Bigger, more explosive Deshawn Wynn, in better shape and a better work ethic.

I like him a lot. I'd be extatic of we drafted him.

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 02:11 PM
If we got a RB in the draft to go along with Grant I'd want him to be a blazer, real speed. Grant's fast, but he's not going to outrun the whole defense. I'd be cool to get a "Lightning and Thunder" thing going on.

GoPackGo
01-12-2008, 02:13 PM
If we got a RB in the draft to go along with Grant I'd want him to be a blazer, real speed. Grant's fast, but he's not going to outrun the whole defense. I'd be cool to get a "Lightning and Thunder" thing going on.

he outran the whole defense a couple times this year! :wink:

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 02:19 PM

he outran the whole defense a couple times this year! :wink:

Grant's big runs have occurred on relatively simple plays. The OL makes some great blocks, Grant sees a hole, cuts back, and is gone. He doesn't have the speed to take the ball outside and run up the sidelines for the score.

Is there anything wrong with that? No. I'm happy with Grant exactly the way he is. However, we don't need two Ryan Grants. Get a player, somebody like Leon Washington, and that'd be a great combo.

swede
01-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Grant's big runs have occurred on relatively simple plays. The OL makes some great blocks, Grant sees a hole, cuts back, and is gone.

Since that's the case...let's keep drafting offensive linemen!

RashanGary
01-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Ryan Grant ran a 4.43 40 yd dash. He was the 2nd fastest RB in his draft class. He's plenty fast.

I'd still love to have 2 or 3 good all around RB's. Fresh legs is a valuable thing.

We don't NEED a RB. We don't NEED a DE. We don't NEED an OT or a CB but any one of them would make this team better now and down the road. Take the BPA. That's how we got to 13-3 and why the direction continues to look up.

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I beg to differ on one point, JH. We need a CB.

twoseven
01-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Normally picking between 29-31 would bore me to death, but not this year. Thinking about the names that may very likely still be around at RB, LB and CB when we select in the first round is encouraging.

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Normally picking between 29-31 would bore me to death, but not this year. Thinking about the names that may very likely still be around at RB, LB and CB when we select in the first round is encouraging.

Agreed. We're not going to be ending up with an Ahmad Carroll-like selection.

cheesner
01-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Normally picking between 29-31 would bore me to death, but not this year. Thinking about the names that may very likely still be around at RB, LB and CB when we select in the first round is encouraging.You are setting yourself up for potential disappointment. 'names that may very likely still be around'

One thing about TT, he isn't impressed with 'name' recognition.

By the way 2-7, welcome to the forum.

twoseven
01-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Normally picking between 29-31 would bore me to death, but not this year. Thinking about the names that may very likely still be around at RB, LB and CB when we select in the first round is encouraging.You are setting yourself up for potential disappointment. 'names that may very likely still be around'

Sorry, 'quality best available players' at those positions. Just perusing some early mock drafts there seems to be enough talent to go around through the first couple of rounds. I like our situation.

twoseven
01-12-2008, 03:03 PM
[quote=twoseven]Normally picking between 29-31 would bore me to death, but not this year. Thinking about the names that may very likely still be around at RB, LB and CB when we select in the first round is encouraging.You are setting yourself up for potential disappointment. 'names that may very likely still be around'

I would also add that there doesn't seem to be so drastic of a falloff on paper as you run down the round for players and their positions which can happen (one or two guys up top, then nothing close after that), with the excpetion of QB which is horrid, every other position seems to be pretty well represented. I don't think TT can go wrong, no matter which way he moves, well, unless he goes QB first round. :)

MJZiggy
01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Somehow I can sense the Daily Show jokes coming at him ad nauseum.