PDA

View Full Version : Atari Bigby

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I will say, I've openly been a detractor of Bigby and a fan of Rouse.

With that said.

One of the best individual performance by a defensive player on this squad all season. Starting with the fumble, but then he put fear into the Seattle WRs. There were drops because they heard footsteps.

If the guy can get his head on straight I'm more than willing to have him back.

I'm jumping on the Atari bandwagon. :D

gbgary
01-12-2008, 07:27 PM
he had a great game. he's young and excitable but he'll mature. i think we some real good safeties. tackling has been critisized but if you watch other games tackling isn't that great anywhere.

pbmax
01-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Looks great coming forward for the hit. Not so good backing up in coverage. If he can improve to mediocre, there will be a place for him. He also does seem to avoid Sharper like blowup hits, that either miss OR leave the O player on his feet, able to gain yardage.

oregonpackfan
01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Bigby was indeed an intimidating force for the secondary. With more experience at pass coverage, he can become a valuable starter.

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 07:53 PM
It's looking like perhaps Collins will be the odd man out in the secondary.

packinpatland
01-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Bigby played like a man posessed today. Good for him.........better for us.

Willard
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
It's looking like perhaps Collins will be the odd man out in the secondary.
The deterioration of Collins' play this year is a big surprise and disapointment to me. I thought he would be a solid if not spectacular starter for the Pack for several years. Now, I am not too sure...

KYPack
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Collins had an OK game. This year was a rough one, but the guy has skills.

Now with Rouse pushing him, he might be the guy.

BallHawk
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Collins had an OK game. This year was a rough one, but the guy has skills.

He's always had skills. And we've always waited to see him use those skills and become a great player.

It hasn't happened yet.

Whether it's coaching or just lack of instincts, something is not clicking. He needs to sort things out or he's going to be on the bench.

CaptainKickass
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
My nickname for Atari Bigby -

"2600"

:D

packerthebacker
01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Bigby played great in this game. He was focused, hard-hitting (literally), and made some big plays. My hats go off to bigby.

LONG TIME BIGBY SUPPORTER AND PROUD

b bulldog
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Collins has the measureables more than the skills imo. he has no hands, zero instincts and is average at best in the tackling department.

KYPack
01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Collins has the measureables more than the skills imo. he has no hands, zero instincts and is average at best in the tackling department.

It's easy to be critical, Dog.

Collins has started a lot slower than I would've liked, but he's not as bad as you say.

Everybody blames the safety. He's the last man and has to clean up a lot of other guys mistakes.

Collins had a good ballgame today and is improving.

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
What did Collins do wrong? I must have missed it. I like when the deep safety gives up one short completion.

SkinBasket
01-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I still don't like Bigby, but he had a hell of a game. This was the performance I was waiting to see all year to be convinced he was anything other than a below average short term solution. Great timing to have a good game, but you know what they say about sunshine and dog's asses. It'll take another game like this to convince me he's as good as some people seem to think he is.

Packers4Ever
01-12-2008, 10:11 PM
I will say, I've openly been a detractor of Bigby and a fan of Rouse.

With that said.

One of the best individual performance by a defensive player on this squad all season. Starting with the fumble, but then he put fear into the Seattle WRs. There were drops because they heard footsteps.

If the guy can get his head on straight I'm more than willing to have him back.

I'm jumping on the Atari bandwagon. :D

You mean he didn't have his head on straight this afternoon ?? I guess I didn't see where he went wrong - watched him pretty closely and he was everywhere, getting after 'Hawk RBs and WRs all afternoon. :wink: He's fast, pretty young yet and trying to do his job.
Glad you jumped on the Bigby bandwagon, BallHawk - I think he can only get better,
:)

Joemailman
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
What did Collins do wrong? I must have missed it. I like when the deep safety gives up one short completion.

I agree. Collins does a lot of things that go unnoticed. He's played much better this year than most of last year, and has been solid but not spectacular. Maybe he's not the player a lot of people hoped he's be, but his steadiness allows the Packers CB's to play as aggressively as they do.

mission
01-12-2008, 10:15 PM

I thought Collins was pretty good in coverage but he did his best Colledge inpersonation at least two, i think, three times on complete arms in the air misses.

Bigby, OTOH, wow... there have been times this year when I've tried to curse him off the field but Ill tell ya, he came with the wood today. Seemed to really set the tone for the rest of the day as the 'hawks wr's seemed to have alligator arms. That'd be pretty scary to be running around back there, blind, and knowing Bigby gets hardons from smackin mf'ers around all day. I love his attitude and if he can stay composed, we might have something. We did today.

I was sitting in a house packed with a bunch of georgia tech alums, not wisconsin homers, and they couldnt stop talking about the guy. no one had really ever heard of him and that was pretty much the conversation all day.

As others have noted, there aren't a lot of safeties in the NFL not getting burned. They're back there because they're too slow and lack the hips of a corner because the pricetags are definitely on the outside. I like what he brings and as much as this possibility scares the shit out of me, the masochist in me wants to see what Rouse and Bigby would look like. Get a young corner in the draft and another through FA and our defense could/should continue on this path of... dare i say it ? dominance.

Packers4Ever
01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Bigby played great in this game. He was focused, hard-hitting (literally), and made some big plays. My hats go off to bigby.

LONG TIME BIGBY SUPPORTER AND PROUD

Welcome to PackerRats, packerthebacker, stop by often,
this is a nice group here! A few of the nuttier variety but
we don't mind. :)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-12-2008, 11:03 PM
He had a hell of a game! I hope he can keep it up.

LL2
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I'll say one thing, I like the way he hits! That one play when the WR went flying backwards was an awesome hit.

Fosco33
01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
His coverage can improve - but he's had a good December/January so far. Take him playing in the moment and try to use a scheme to hide him in coverage.

He was Dec's NFC Def player of the month with 4 INTS. He's only had 5 INTs on the year (along w/ 3 forced fumbles and 80+ tackles) in 14 games.

He's got momentum, a nose for the football and can bring the wood. All that is fine in my book.

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I still don't like Bigby, but he had a hell of a game. This was the performance I was waiting to see all year to be convinced

Oh hell, he's had excellent games throughout the season. He screws up now and then, but adds real toughness to the defense.

RashanGary
01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
His mistakes are mostly late hits, face masks and the kicking the ball thing. They did come at bad times so they seem exaggerated.

I love his toughness. He's everything I hoped Collins would be. He just needs to be a little more consistant. I hope Rouse ends up beating out Collins next year. It's not that I hate Collins and we HAVE to get rid of him, but I'm always hoping to get better and there is clearly room for improvement.

Bigby needs to get a little more consistant, but he's well on his way. He's the toughest defender we have so I'm OK with a mistake or two from time to time. If it doesn't clear up in his secnond year I'll start to wonder but right now, damn, what a great first year.

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM
His mistakes are mostly late hits, face masks and the kicking the ball thing.

Speaking of dirty safties, that Rodney Harrison guy must be the dirtiest player in the league. He hits out of bounds every game I see him play. He's ridiculous.

PlantPage55
01-12-2008, 11:39 PM
His mistakes are mostly late hits, face masks and the kicking the ball thing.

Speaking of dirty safties, that Rodney Harrison guy must be the dirtiest player in the league. He hits out of bounds every game I see him play. He's ridiculous.

He's a punk in every sense of the word. Always bitching to the refs, always hitting players when they're out of bounds or already on the ground and down, and always grabbing at the neck and helmet on gang tackles.

He's terrible.

BallHawk
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I couldn't help but laugh after listening to Bigby's interview.

Here's what he had to say about making big hits throughout the game......

Atari Bigby said:
It's like catching a fish, you can just feel 'em fighting for their life. You can actually feel the electricity in his body. The best way I can describe it is like catching a fish. So the guys are going out and catching a big fish.

Certainly a unique way to look at it. :lol:

4and12to12and4
01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I couldn't help but laugh after listening to Bigby's interview.

Here's what he had to say about making big hits throughout the game......

Atari Bigby said:
It's like catching a fish, you can just feel 'em fighting for their life. You can actually feel the electricity in his body. The best way I can describe it is like catching a fish. So the guys are going out and catching a big fish.

Certainly a unique way to look at it. :lol:

That is great! It cannot be overstated how a hard hitting safety can change the entire mindset of an opposing offense. It really gets EVERYONE carrying the ball thinking and keeping their head on a swivel. It also brings a ton of confidence, swagger, and attitude to a defense. It's contagious. Brian Urlacher brought that to the Bears and now many of their players are more aggressive. Its contagious. Hell, Harris was laying some wood, Barnett also. I think that Bigby is helping take this defense to another level of toughness. They are fun to watch, I can't believe that our defense is more dominant than the Bears. I never thought I'd be able to say that. McCarthy is proving to be a great coach. I hope he gets a LONG extension this offseason, I don't want to lose him, he has brought something special to GB and he has even made Favre better than he ever was, that is an unbelievable accomplishment.

Packers4Glory
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM
he's played well most of the season. He gets little love from scouts, but to me his growing and becoming a pretty good football player. Having a big hitter in the secondary is a nice weapon.

vince
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
The following statements from Harris an Woodson in an article picked up by the South Mississippi Sun Herald are interesting. Obviously, they're going to support their teammate, but their statements are pretty strong...

"He's the real deal," Harris said. "Any plays he makes, we're not amazed, because we see it all the time. He's going to be a great player in this league."

"I love having him back there," Woodson said.

Here's the whole article.

Atari game a new hit with Pack
By COLIN FLY
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/297153.html

Partial
01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
If they keep him in the box like Indy does Rob Sanders than he'll be a very solid player. Put Rouse back there in coverage, keep Bigby in the box. I think we're onto something here.

Cheesehead Craig
01-15-2008, 09:46 AM
How much better is our safety position now compared to last year? It's like night and day.

Carolina_Packer
01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
I still don't like Bigby, but he had a hell of a game. This was the performance I was waiting to see all year to be convinced he was anything other than a below average short term solution. Great timing to have a good game, but you know what they say about sunshine and dog's asses. It'll take another game like this to convince me he's as good as some people seem to think he is.

After reading your posts for a while, you know football. I respect that you hold the opinion that you do regarding Bigby, but just wanted to know how you analyze a players ability to become a better player with time and experience. The facts are that Bigby is young, he's tough and hard-nosed and loves hitting. He's not great in coverage and he sometimes loses focus and commits stupid mental lapses. Can he get better for whatever he lacks right now, or do you think he's maxed out?

Guiness
01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
That is great! It cannot be overstated how a hard hitting safety can change the entire mindset of an opposing offense. It really gets EVERYONE carrying the ball thinking and keeping their head on a swivel.
[snip]

This is so true. I played safety, and liked to hit. I played hockey, so sacrificing my body was just fine by me :D

About the most satisfying thing I ever did, and the most effective, was cream a TE on a crossing pattern behind the LB's. He jumped and reached for the ball, and I caught him in the ribs when he lifted his arms. Big gasp of air, and the ball, popped out. Rest of the game, he and any WR sent through the middle were taking peaks to see where I was, and I'm sure it cost them a few receptions!

Now, if only I could've done that with regularity!!! :oops:

Carolina_Packer
01-15-2008, 03:30 PM

We'd be talking about you instead...would you go by the name Coleco since Atari is already taken?

MJZiggy
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM

We all hope for a little regularity. Keep eating your fiber and you should be fine... 8-)

KYPack
01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
If they keep him in the box like Indy does Rob Sanders than he'll be a very solid player. Put Rouse back there in coverage, keep Bigby in the box. I think we're onto something here.

That's a BZZZT, Partial.

Bigby and Rouse have similar games, ya can't have 'em both at this point. Rouse makes errors in cover now.

They are grooming Rouse for Collins spot, however.

I love Rouse's attitude, but he's gonna have to mature before he can help us.

Somehow, all these guys are developing at light speed, so it might just happen.

Partial
01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Thats what I'm saying. Rouse in at Collins spot, Bigby in the box. On third down you ideally have a better option in coverage than Bigby.

SkinBasket
01-15-2008, 04:52 PM

After reading your posts for a while, you know football. I respect that you hold the opinion that you do regarding Bigby, but just wanted to know how you analyze a players ability to become a better player with time and experience. The facts are that Bigby is young, he's tough and hard-nosed and loves hitting. He's not great in coverage and he sometimes loses focus and commits stupid mental lapses. Can he get better for whatever he lacks right now, or do you think he's maxed out?

Didn't we have this exact exchange a couple moths ago? Maybe it was someone else that had such a poor, though flattering, grasp of my football knowledge, but it sounds eerily familiar.

Anyway, what I think I said then is I need to see him have one or two good games, not just stupid-free games, which is where he seemed to peak during the season, and be more consistent in his week to week play, to know he was making progress. If he has another good week next week, I'll be a believer that he can be a better player and I'll have hope that he enter next season as having a strong hold on a position that's been in flux for too many years.

I just feel a lot of people find it easy to root for him, and ignore parts of his game while having an inflated sense of other parts of his game. But whatever.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I loves me some Atari.

Bretsky
01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
He needs a beter nickname

How about "The Missile"

MJZiggy
01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I like it!

vince
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
How about, "The Asteroid"

Harlan Huckleby
01-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Tasmanian Devil. (there is a slight resemblance.)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/d/d4/Taz,_The_Tasmanian_Devil.png

gbgary
01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Preditor III

watching the replay of the seattle game and Al Harris had several big hits in the game too. looks like Atari-inspired aggression. maybe he could put some extra pounds on and be a safty in the next phase of his career. :D

Carolina_Packer
01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
The Missle is already taken by the retired Quadry Ismail. I like the Asteroid. How about the Joystick?

cpk1994
01-16-2008, 02:42 AM
He needs a beter nickname

How about "The Missile"Someone beat me to it. Would help if I read the whole thread. :)

Zool
01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Joystick was used by someone already too.

How about:

4 bits of fury

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
50 cents worth of fury?? He needs a new contract...

Carolina_Packer
01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
How about The Rasta Blasta!? :)

Partial
01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Boomerang Bigby

Green Bud Packer
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Just change Holmgren Way to Bigby Boulevard

Green Bud Packer
01-16-2008, 09:09 AM

gets my vote.

SkinBasket
01-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Pokey McPokster.

denverYooper
01-16-2008, 09:39 AM

gets my vote.

Seconded.

That's chock full of awesome.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Al compared Atari to Brian Dawkins.
:D

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7693116

Bigby earning a reputation with physical play
by Alex Marvez, FOXSports.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. - He still remembers the childhood teasing from having such an unusual first name.

"Oh my goodness," Atari Bigby said Thursday while sitting at his Packers locker. "Back when a lot of kids knew what Atari was, that was kind of bad. I used to ask my mom why she did that."

The christening wasn't connected to the old-school video-game company, but a suggestion from Bigby's grandmother. She liked "Atari" because it is a form of the Japanese word for "attack."

Grandma was onto something. Bigby is quickly building a name for himself as one of the NFL's hardest-hitting strong safeties.

Just ask the Seattle Seahawks, which suffered a 42-20 loss to Green Bay in last Saturday's divisional playoff game. Bigby had a team-high seven tackles, forced a Marcus Pollard fumble and spooked wide receiver D.J. Hackett into dropping a third-down pass near the Packers end zone.

New York Giants wide receiver Steve Smith also enters Sunday's NFC Championship game well aware of the damage Bigby can cause. Smith suffered a broken shoulder blade on a Bigby hit in September.

"He's one of those unique players who has no regard for his body," Packers secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "Some people will play physical and some will not. He truly enjoys it."

Bigby actually chuckled when describing the impact of his biggest blows.

"Believe it or not, sometimes I get up and my whole right or left side is numb," he said. "But you shake it off and go back the next play. That's what I was taught growing up."

Bigby, though, insists good licks are secondary to sound overall safety play. Bigby is just as proud of the strides he made this season in better identifying offensive formations, making the proper check-downs and being a more sure-handed tackler. He finished the regular season leading Green Bay in interceptions (five) and passes defensed (13) while ranking third in stops with 121.

"I don't want to be feared as a safety. I just want to be respected," said Bigby, whose soft-spoken nature belies his aggressive on-field style. "If I'm intimidating, that's the way it is. But I'm just trying to play the game the way it was meant to be played."

Just getting to play in the NFL took the 26-year-old Bigby more than two seasons of hard work. He signed as a college free agent in 2005 with the Miami Dolphins, his hometown team, but was waived in training camp. Another short stint with the New York Jets followed before he landed on Green Bay's practice squad — as an undersized linebacker.

It has become habit for Atari Bigby to dislodge the ball from opposing receivers. (Jeff Gross / Getty Images)

The 5-foot-11, 211-pound Bigby reinvented himself at safety last spring in NFL Europa. Bigby shined overseas and returned to the Packers with a newfound swagger.

"That was just a reassurance that you can play safety," Bigby said. "My confidence before was, 'Let's just hope we make the team.' When I came back, it was, 'You're the cream of the crop over there, so you can be a contender here.'"

First, Bigby had to best Marquand Manuel — a high school teammate and close friend — in training camp for a starting spot. Bigby then endured a rough mid-season stretch in which he committed too many mistakes and penalties.

On the verge of being benched, Bigby rebounded and finished with four interceptions in the final four games of the season.

"There came a time during the season where everybody was saying, 'Do this, do that!'" Bigby said. "I went ahead and said, 'You know what? Forget everybody else. I'm going to do things the way I need to do them.' I was just going to react and let it come naturally."

Packers cornerback Al Harris favorably compares Bigby to Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins, one of his former Eagles teammates and a six-time Pro Bowl selection.

"It's his work ethic, and he's so explosive," Harris said. "He comes in after practice and works out, keeps his body tight. Those are the things Dawk does.

"I think Dawk is the best safety there is. When I look at Atari, that's what I think of."

It sure beats thinking of Space Invaders.

Partial
01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
That's pretty good company to be compared to. I'll gladly take it.

Bretsky
01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Preditor III

watching the replay of the seattle game and Al Harris had several big hits in the game too. looks like Atari-inspired aggression. maybe he could put some extra pounds on and be a safty in the next phase of his career. :D

With that long hair he kind of has that predator type look. Sits back waiting for a WR to pounce on when he dares come into his territory. Then he takes them out