PDA

View Full Version : GRANT

VegasPackFan
01-12-2008, 11:20 PM
What a defining game for this kid.

Just makes you proud to have a guy like that overcome such crushing adversity to start a game. He rose from the ashes like a phoenix and just ran like a man possessed the rest of the game.

What a great story. A 4 qtr soap opera playing out right before our eyes.

LL2
01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
The Packers can beat the Patriots the way Grant played today! He needs to carry this momentum into next week.

FavreChild
01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Congrats to Ry-Guy for believing in himself. He knew he could recover - although I admit I was among the many cursing his "miscues"in the opening minutes.

I love that term: "miscues."

Congrats to all the RATS on another week of NFL football!!! 8-)

oregonpackfan
01-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Congrats to McCarthy for keeping Grant in the game after the two fumbles.

I can't help but believe if Holmgren was coaching the Packers, Grant would have been sitting on the bench for the remainder of the game.

ND72
01-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Gotta love the Notre Dame Boy :D I'm a homer.

Bretsky
01-13-2008, 12:13 AM
I was sitting on the Packer side; what most did not see was after Grant's two fumbles he went over to his entire OL and started slapping hands..etc....and letting them know he was going to pick things up and not to worry. He gave a great interview about it on post game.

Nice to have the back of our future for a 6th round pick.

Partial
01-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I was sitting on the Packer side; what most did not see was after Grant's two fumbles he went over to his entire OL and started slapping hands..etc....and letting them know he was going to pick things up and not to worry. He gave a great interview about it on post game.

Nice to have the back of our future for a 6th round pick.

Somebody is coming around! Dude is a baller. BJack looked solid today as well.

Carolina_Packer
01-13-2008, 12:47 AM
I think this was Grant's coming out party; really. The yards he gained and the three TD's were great, but the fact that he did it after the early adversity speaks volumes of him as a player, as well as the coaching staff and teammates.

I was sitting next to a guy at the bar I was at who was totally down on Grant after his early miscues. He was yelling for Grant to be benched. I defended Grant and said, just wait, he'll make up for it. Boy, did he ever. I'm glad they let him play through his mistakes. To all the TT naysayers, you gotta give him props for picking up Ryan Grant, especially for a 6th round draft choice. Wow!

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Grant has unbelievable vision. This guy just needs to hold on to the ball and he'll be our running back for the next 5-7 years.

b bulldog
01-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I think we are now fine at the RB position. Kuhn and Hall both are good at the FB position and Grant and Jackson will give us a good duo at the RB position. I think I'd like a guy like Noah Harron as our third RB although a scatback, slasher type would be a good fit also.

Joemailman
01-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Jackson has played well late in the year also. Grant and Jackson (sounds like a Civil War battle) will be a fine combination for years to come.

sepporepi
01-13-2008, 08:37 AM
His place in packers playoff history:

Most Attempts, Game: 27, 2nd (31, Jim Taylor, at NYG, Dec. 30, 1962)

Most Yards Gained, Game: 201, 1st

Most Touchdowns, Game: 3, 1st

Most Touchdowns, Career: 3, 3rd (5, Edgar Bennett (10 games))

GBRulz
01-13-2008, 08:56 AM
The turnaround at the game yesterday was almost like a fantasy. The crowd was shouting out a few boos yesterday after the 2nd fumble. The only cheers for the first few minutes were these annoying SeaHawk fans behind us. My how things changed!!

Anyhow, I love how M3 kept faith in Grant and kept him in the game. What a turnaround!

I love this kid - lock him up to a long term contract after the season...no doubt.

b bulldog
01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I'd make him have one more good year before I throw big money at him.

RashanGary
01-13-2008, 09:16 AM
They need to get a rotation going next year with Jackson and whoever else we draft, bring in or develop. I like when RB's can get rest while the backup bangs on the defense a little.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2008, 09:22 AM
They need to get a rotation going next year with Jackson and whoever else we draft, bring in or develop. I like when RB's can get rest while the backup bangs on the defense a little.

I agree. You can never have enough good backs. I still would like to draft another guy in the later rounds to add depth and make the position as deep as possible.

MJZiggy
01-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Grant has unbelievable vision. This guy just needs to hold on to the ball and he'll be our running back for the next 5-7 years.

He just had a bad couple minutes. Dude only had one fumble all season. (or were these his first?)

Cheesehead Craig
01-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Just a fantastic game for the guy. I'm still just stunned a day later how he played. There is zero need for a RB in this upcoming draft.

gbgary
01-13-2008, 09:51 AM
as convinced as i was, last year, that romo was/is the real-deal, i am just as convinced about Grant. he's got speed, moves and heart.

REDO HIS DEAL NOW!! LOL

b bulldog
01-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Too bad Morency hasn't done more cause with his elusiveness and catching ability, that is the type of back that would go well with Grant and Jackson. I don't see Wynn being on the final roster next year. Detroit may cut Calhoun, I think he may be a good fit if he could stay healthy.

Carolina_Packer
01-13-2008, 10:21 AM

He just had a bad couple minutes. Dude only had one fumble all season. (or were these his first?)

The only fumble lost he had regular season was at Minnesota.

Packers4Glory
01-13-2008, 11:43 AM
how impressed are you w/ this kid? I'm just blown away. Most players would have been finished after the 2nd fumble..some after the first one. His character really really came thru loud and clear yesterday.

I'm completely convinced we dont need to go out and find a RB. Grant has proven he's the man. He runs perfectly for this system and constantly breaks off long runs. I dont remember Green breaking as many.

I know guys like Gado had nice flashes during seasons, but this kid just seems different. like far more. His running style fits perfectly. His vision and reads are almost always spot on. 1 cut and boom. He's not slow either.

wow. its hard not to be stoked about him as the future RB for the next few seasons. Heck I like what I've seen out of Jackson as well. I am really starting to like our RB situation and depth.

Lurker64
01-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Too bad Morency hasn't done more cause with his elusiveness and catching ability, that is the type of back that would go well with Grant and Jackson. I don't see Wynn being on the final roster next year. Detroit may cut Calhoun, I think he may be a good fit if he could stay healthy.

I'm not sure if Morency is going to be one the roster next year honestly. They've been giving Jackson a lot more reps as the third down back recently. I don't know if I've seen Morency on the field recently. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep a ton of backs. Thompson and McCarthy have been known to have oddly shaped rosters.

Packers4Glory
01-13-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm not sure if Morency is going to be one the roster next year honestly. They've been giving Jackson a lot more reps as the third down back recently. I don't know if I've seen Morency on the field recently. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep a ton of backs. Thompson and McCarthy have been known to have oddly shaped rosters.

i have a hard time seeing them keep him. they have grant, jackson, and wynn will be back. Morency seems the odd man out. the other guys are younger and far cheaper inthe long run.

BallHawk
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Didn't he lose one after a catch against St. Louis?

Scott Campbell
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Bring on the AP comparisons.

Lurker64
01-13-2008, 01:41 PM

AP did not rush for over 200 yards in a playoff game this year.

Joemailman
01-13-2008, 01:45 PM
It's my understanding that Grant's contract is up after this year. I know he hasn't been in the league long enough for UFA. Would he be restricted rights, or RFA? Patler, are you there?

Willard
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM

i have a hard time seeing them keep him. they have grant, jackson, and wynn will be back. Morency seems the odd man out. the other guys are younger and far cheaper inthe long run.
Grant and Jackson make the roster for sure because of performance and draft position, respectively. Whoever proves to be the next best all-around back (blocking, blitz pickup, screen catches, receiving in general) will be the 3rd back. This could easily be Morency. Wynn better toughen up if he wants to make the roster. He could still turn out to be a head case, and this team is all about ego-less chemistry. Hell, Herron may beat out Wynn despite his playing in wet cement most of the time, because his teammates and coaches seem to like him. How well liked is Wynn?

Lurker64
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Grant and Jackson make the roster for sure because of performance and draft position, respectively. Whoever proves to be the next best all-around back (blocking, blitz pickup, screen catches, receiving in general) will be the 3rd back. This could easily be Morency. Wynn better toughen up if he wants to make the roster. He could still turn out to be a head case, and this team is all about ego-less chemistry. Hell, Herron may beat out Wynn despite his playing in wet cement most of the time, because his teammates and coaches seem to like him. How well liked is Wynn?

We may also draft somebody and we may also keep four (five?) backs. Training camp battles will sort this out too, who makes the roster next year is going to be determined more by what happens in the next eight months than in what happened this year. A couple of guys looked pretty "meh" last year but came on big time during the offseason and stepped up to become major contributors (Bigby and Jolly come to mind.)

mmmdk
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Oh lordy :lol:

Willard
01-13-2008, 01:57 PM

I love Grant. But I don't know if anybody catches AP on that 40+ yarder.

mmmdk
01-13-2008, 02:26 PM

True - yet Grant & BJ look like a nice combo for next year. But TT should still be open towards a 3rd down back.

BJ looks totally diffent the last month - awesome.

GRANT IS THE MAN :D

Willard
01-13-2008, 02:56 PM

True - yet Grant & BJ look like a nice combo for next year. But TT should still be open towards a 3rd down back.

BJ looks totally diffent the last month - awesome.

GRANT IS THE MAN :D
True dat

Bretsky
01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
GRANT IS THE CHEESE

vince
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
It's my understanding that Grant's contract is up after this year. I know he hasn't been in the league long enough for UFA. Would he be restricted rights, or RFA? Patler, are you there?
Grant is a first year player, which means he's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent after the season. If the Packers tender him - which only requires the minimum salary for second year players, then the Packers own exclusive rights to him. He either accepts what the Packers offer or sits out, but as long as he's tendered, there's nowhere else he can go.

I bet the Packers lock him down with an extended term (3 - 5 years) contract in the offseason though, assuming he's interested in that too. Otherwise, they can offer a one-year minimum salary contract if they wanted to go that way and look to sign him longer term down the road if he earns it again next year.

I think the Packers are very confident in what they have in Ryan Grant, and reward him with a multi-year deal. He's very consistent in his performance and is exactly what the doctor ordered in terms of intelligence, character and performance.

woodbuck27
01-13-2008, 03:09 PM
SMOKIN'

FavreChild
01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
http://itsuetolol.com/Marcus%20LoLfant.gif

Guiness
01-13-2008, 03:18 PM

He had a bad fumble against Minnesota earlier in the year. IIRC a bad spot, down near the goal line, and it cost them a TD. It was the first game they gave him a chance in, and he got benched after that.

Wynn was just coming off his early season injury at that point, and they started giving him the carries. At that point, I think most of us thought that was the last we'd be seeing of Grant!!!

Willard
01-13-2008, 03:37 PM
#23 plays DB like I did in Jr. High....mainly with my eyes closed! Great clip!

Carolina_Packer
01-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Didn't he lose one after a catch against St. Louis?

I could have sworn he had a fumble at Minnesota, but if you look at his stat line on NFL.com, it only lists the fumble against the Rams.

BallHawk
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM

I watched that it least 50 times. Trufant just throws himself to the ground and hopes that Grant trips over him. :lol:

Awesome play.

Lurker64
01-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I could have sworn he had a fumble at Minnesota, but if you look at his stat line on NFL.com, it only lists the fumble against the Rams.

I think the fumble in Minnesota was a bad exchange between the QB and RB. I don't know if those are always charged to the RB, or the QB, or anybody really.

sepporepi
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
QB, since he is the last with control over the ball.

Badgerinmaine
01-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Live film of a recurring nightmare inside Tom Coughlin's head...film at 11.

deake
01-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I guess this means we no longer want TT to spend big bucks to sign Turner.

Carolina_Packer
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
From Peter King's Monday Morning QB article today...

Stat of the Week
This will be one of the NFC storylines of the week: Where did Ryan Grant come from, and how did the Packers' running game rise from the ashes? Basically, McCarthy, frustrated with the lowest-rated running game in football entering the Week 7 bye, got Sept. 1 acquisition Grant ready to play a prominent (dominant, as it turned out) role for the Week 8 Monday-nighter at Denver. Since Week 8, here's how the four lead rushers in Championship Weekend have fared:

Player Team Att. Yards Yds/Att. Rush TDs
1. Ryan Grant G.B. 209 1,130 5.4 11
2. LaDainian Tomlinson S.D. 200 965 4.8 9
3. Brandon Jacobs N.Y. 162 778 4.8 4
4. Laurence Maroney N.E. 153 705 4.6 7

Gotta give TT and scouts props on this one. Actually, I find it interesting that Joe Philbin the Packers' OC recruited Grant when he was an assistant at Iowa under Kirk Ferentz. He ended going to ND instead, but finally got his guy. It would have been interesting to hear if he lobbied for him coming to the Pack. Grant is one of the best stories in the NFL this year, along with Favre's season. What's happening right now is very cool.

MadtownPacker
01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I guess this means we no longer want TT to spend big bucks to sign Turner.Maybe for a 6th round pick... :jig:

run pMc
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Yep, Grant's a RFA...which means it will be hard if not impossible for another team to steal him. I'm in the group that thinks that TT will try to lock him up this offseason for a few years AND use a late-round draft pick to develop a RB who will push Wynn and Herron. Nothing against him, but I think Morency is gone.

The Leaper
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Nothing against him, but I think Morency is gone.

I agree, although I wouldn't be surprised if Morency is signed to a minimum deal and returns to camp. I doubt he would make the final roster though.

Morency is a halfway reliable pass blocker...which Jackson doesn't seem to be at this point.

mission
01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Player Team Att. Yards Yds/Att. Rush TDs
1. Ryan Grant G.B. 209 1,130 5.4 11
2. LaDainian Tomlinson S.D. 200 965 4.8 9
3. Brandon Jacobs N.Y. 162 778 4.8 4
4. Laurence Maroney N.E. 153 705 4.6 7

now THAT is awesome!

do you guys remember the first time Grant touched the ball as a Packer? i think it was a swing/wheel pass to the left and he made that spin move along the sideline. i just had a vibe for him after that... i was voting grant during those "bjack is our back of the future" polls and all that. :D

Lurker64
01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Yep, Grant's a RFA...which means it will be hard if not impossible for another team to steal him. I'm in the group that thinks that TT will try to lock him up this offseason for a few years AND use a late-round draft pick to develop a RB who will push Wynn and Herron. Nothing against him, but I think Morency is gone.

I believe he's an EFA, since a player with 0-2 accrued seasons is an exclusive rights free agent, and an accrued season is: "Six or more regular-season games on a club's active or inactive, reserved-injured, or "physically unable to perform" (PUP) lists constitutes an "accrued season." He spent one year out with a nonfootball injury (probably an accrued year), and he spent one year on the practice squad (not an accrued year), and he has one year with use (an accrued year), which puts him at 1 or 2 accrued years of service.

Being an exclusive rights free agent, the only team he can sign and play for this year is the Green Bay Packers, he cannot accept a contract from another team unless the Packers make no effort to resign him, which is highly unlikely.

He would be an RFA if he had three accrued seasons, so after next year. I expect Thompson to sign him for 4-5 years this offseason, however.

OS PA
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
#23 plays DB like I did in Jr. High....mainly with my eyes closed! Great clip!

#23 is lining up next to Al Harris in the pro-bowl.

twoseven
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I guess this means we no longer want TT to spend big bucks to sign Turner.
We could have given up the chance to draft Harrel and JJones to trade for Turner the burner. I like the 6th for Grant better I think.

green_bowl_packer
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Nice compliment for Ryan Grant from Deon Grant of the Seahawks.

The disbelief comes over the fact that Seattle held a 14-point lead 4 minutes into the game and still lost by 22 points while the undrafted Ryan Grant ran for 201 yards.

"That boy ran his behind off today," safety Deon Grant said afterward. "I have to take my hat off to him. We knew he was good, but we didn't picture him doing what he did to us on defense."

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2008/01/13/season_slip_sli/