PDA

View Full Version : Packers Eyeing Up Some Possible June 1st Cuts!

BlueBrewer
05-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Take this for what it is worth, the source was a Pod Cast on Packer Chatters that happened Friday. They claim to have inside connections in the Packer organization. Okay here they are, they say that the Packers are interested in aquiring if cut Priest Holmes(Chiefs), Travis Henry(Titans), Mike Williams(Lions), Charles Rodgers(Lions). They also mentioned trade rumors for Julious Jones(Dallas), Chris Perry(Cincinatti). Anyway, I was very intrigued by the prospect of aquiring any of those prospects. Some of them are obvious longshots for numerous reasons but interesting none the less. I have no reason to believe or not believe these guys, but they have apperently been doing these podcasts for a while now. Just a little for fuel for conversation that doesn't involve Tank gay bashing TT to hide his own man love.

MadtownPacker
05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Priest Holmes(Chiefs), Travis Henry(Titans), Mike Williams(Lions), Charles Rodgers(Lions). They also mentioned trade rumors for Julious Jones(Dallas), Chris Perry(Cincinatti).
I could see Holmes gettting dealt, but Mike Williams? No way is the tuna giving up Jones.

BlueBrewer
05-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I agree that Mike Williams sounds unrealistic, Jones would look great in Green Bay.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I agree that Mike Williams sounds unrealistic, Jones would look great in Green Bay.

When was the last time somebody cut a high first round draft choice after just one season?

Tarlam!
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Our roster is deep. It's deeper than deep. It is an abyss. Any new FA better be worth some wins or else, I say, develop our youth so they all come together at the same time.

No use wasting a roster spot on next season's has been.

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Our roster is deep. It's deeper than deep. It is an abyss. Any new FA better be worth some wins or else, I say, develop our youth so they all come together at the same time.

Completely agree Tarlam, post was dead nuts on.

Bretsky
05-20-2006, 05:24 PM

Our roster is deep with average players; if we can get upgrades that can help us win I hope TT does so.

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 05:35 PM

Our roster is deep with average players; if we can get upgrades that can help us win I hope TT does so.

Yes, if it can help with the wins then do it. From the list above though I can't see anyone that is going to really be better than what we have. Julius Jones, but he's so young I can't see him being cut this year. If they see a capable pass rushing DE then they should pull the trigger for sure.

BlueBrewer
05-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Yes, if it can help with the wins then do it. From the list above though I can't see anyone that is going to really be better than what we have. Julius Jones, but he's so young I can't see him being cut this year. If they see a capable pass rushing DE then they should pull the trigger for sure.[/quote]lower draft pick

Jones was referenced as apossible trade for Mark Roman and a lower draft pick, not a cut.

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Yes, if it can help with the wins then do it. From the list above though I can't see anyone that is going to really be better than what we have. Julius Jones, but he's so young I can't see him being cut this year. If they see a capable pass rushing DE then they should pull the trigger for sure.lower draft pick

Jones was referenced as apossible trade for Mark Roman and a lower draft pick, not a cut.[/quote]

Well in that case I guess I would pull the trigger, if the pick is a later round pick. It'd be worth it for them.

Harlan Huckleby
05-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Our roster is NOT deep at certain positions, especially running back. I don't think either Green or Davenport are sure-things for this year or the future.

BlueBrewer
05-20-2006, 06:12 PM
RB is the position that seemed to hold the most interest

chain_gang
05-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Chris Perry would be worth a look in a trade too. I like him a lot, good receiver out of the backfield perfect for screens, has good quickness, and seems to have good vision running with the ball. Like with jones if the price is right I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger.

BlueBrewer
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
We really don't have the prototypcal 3rd down back on the roster, no RBs were drafted (which surprised me) so I would not be surprised at all to see them go after somebody.

Guiness
05-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Travis Henry, eh? He's young yet, and was a solid feature back not that long ago. I know he had a bad season last year, but I'd be surprised if Tennessee gave up on him so quickly. I think they'd at least let him compete in camp.

I can't see R. Williams either, of course. You don't cut a first rounder after one year - unless it's Dimitrius Underwood (Hi Rastak!)

The other names - *shrug*. Jones would be nice, but I doubt he's being dealt.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Green Bay will look at Ashley Lelie if he's cut.

There. I made up a rumor. Those Packer Chatters rumors are about as trustworthy.

Dallas will NOT trade Julius Jones to Green Bay for Mark Roman and a late round pick.

Patler
05-21-2006, 06:02 AM
I would be very surprised if Dallas were willing to give up Jones for a pedestrian player like Roman and even a mid round pick let alone a late round pick. Who would they have at runningback, Marion Barber and a couple NFLE players? Not likely. If TT could pull off that type of trade, I would be impressed.

gureski
05-22-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure if this is on the forum yet or not...I haven't had much time to browse the site of late...

Anyway...here are some possible June 1 cuts per Scouts Inc.

http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/532990.html?refid=3664

Green Bud Packer
05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Green Bay will look at Ashley Lelie if he's cut.

There. I made up a rumor. Those Packer Chatters rumors are about as trustworthy.

Dallas will NOT trade Julius Jones to Green Bay for Mark Roman and a late round pick. i couldn't agree more harv.these guys give out seven or eight "rumors" and hope one comes true then claim to be insiders.he mentioned six backs the pack is interested in.give me a break.

mngolf19
05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Take this for what it is worth, the source was a Pod Cast on Packer Chatters that happened Friday. They claim to have inside connections in the Packer organization. Okay here they are, they say that the Packers are interested in aquiring if cut Priest Holmes(Chiefs), Travis Henry(Titans), Mike Williams(Lions), Charles Rodgers(Lions). They also mentioned trade rumors for Julious Jones(Dallas), Chris Perry(Cincinatti). Anyway, I was very intrigued by the prospect of aquiring any of those prospects. Some of them are obvious longshots for numerous reasons but interesting none the less. I have no reason to believe or not believe these guys, but they have apperently been doing these podcasts for a while now. Just a little for fuel for conversation that doesn't involve Tank gay bashing TT to hide his own man love.

Of all these guys, Holmes is the only one that could be available. He could get cut, but you will be standing in a long line for his services. All others will stay where they are.

BooHoo
05-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't think our roster is that deep. Some positions are still suspect. Remember just last year we went 4-12. If we can upgrade, then let's upgrade!

I am more concerned with the coaching, than the players. MM is an unknown. He could turn out to be a hall-of-fame coach or someone the Lions usually hire. Unfortunately, it will take some games before we can draw any conclusions concerning MM.

Hoping for a playoff run.

gureski
05-23-2006, 10:25 AM
I just want to keep Justin Smith DE of Cincinnatti on the watch list. I had mentioned this guy about a month ago as a possible cap casualty and I've read (somewhere...though I don't recall) that the Packers may be quietly eyeing him up). I think he may be one of those 'veteran defensive ends' that the Packers would look at if he's cut on June 1. Time will tell but I want to be on record now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Justin Smith? I doubt he gets cut. He starts for Cincinnati, and he's decent. Maybe not as great as his draft position, but he'd start on most teams. Most teams don't have cap issues this June. I doubt the likes of Justin Smith will be available.

Rastak
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Justin Smith? I doubt he gets cut. He starts for Cincinnati, and he's decent. Maybe not as great as his draft position, but he'd start on most teams. Most teams don't have cap issues this June. I doubt the likes of Justin Smith will be available.

Rumor is he may get cut. He'd be a great pickup.

jack's smirking revenge
05-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Just read this on CNNSI...

There has been speculation in Oakland that the Raiders might part company with Warren Sapp, who had a strong relationship with Lions coach Rod Marinelli with the Buccaneers.

Perhaps a June 1 cut? Wouldn't it be strange if the Packers landed him and Favre and Sapp played on the same team? Thoughts? Sounds like Lions are a possible shoe-in, but who knows...

tyler

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I would be happy to see the Sapp in town, but would Chad Clifton?

gureski
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM

This was off the Bengals own website...

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5238

It talks about how Smith doesn't fit the Bengals 3-4 scheme. I couldn't find my prior post on the matter.

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Maybe I have been living under a rock but I have never heard of this guy, do you have any background on him?

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
I would be happy to see the Sapp in town, but would Chad Clifton?

I imagine he might enjoy practicing some of that new cut blocking on Warren. Of course it'll never happen.

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I definitley do not want to see Sapp in GB.

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I definitley do not want to see Sapp in GB.

Aside from the blindside hit on Clifton.....why not? :?:

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
besides that mrs. lincoln, how was the play?

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
you dirty dog you

jack's smirking revenge
05-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Sapp's the perfect candidate for GB--veteran at the end of his years, down years on previous teams, looking for the door to retirement or the fire of rebirth.... I'd like to see Sapp in Green & Gold. May be a fun storyline to see Favre and Sapp on the same team, Clifton and Sapp make amends. He hasn't done much in Oakland, so I truly don't know how much he has left. But it could be VERY entertaining....

tyler

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
when a player goes from a dominant Tampa D to a non-existent Oakland D and is expected to put up the same results his image is greatly reduced. He would be a great addition to the GB unit.

Bossman641
05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
No to Sapp, and not because of his cheap shot on Clifton. He sucks now. He'll be one of those June 1 big-name cuts that gets fans excited purely because of name recognition.

Noodle
05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
At long last, have we left no sense of decency?

Sapp at GB? That's unpossible!

I guess if we could stomach McMahon, we can stomach Sapp. But I'd really prefer not to.

Aren't there some guys you should just be able to hate categorically without messing up the vibe by putting them in G&G?

Who's next, friggin' Hovan?

Patler
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
At long last, have we left no sense of decency?

Sapp at GB? That's unpossible!
I guess if we could stomach McMahon, we can stomach Sapp. But I'd really prefer not to.
Aren't there some guys you should just be able to hate categorically without messing up the vibe by putting them in G&G?

Who's next, friggin' Hovan?

I agree Noodle. Some hatred and contempt is best left untempered!

Homer Jay
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I can't find words strong enough to describe my horror at the thought of Warren Sapp wearing Green and Gold. Even if I could somehow forget about the Clifton ordeal, I think Sapp is done and he has been for a while now.

NO, PLEASE, NO!!!!

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I think OJ would be an excellent running backs coach.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 02:54 PM
when a player goes from a dominant Tampa D to a non-existent Oakland D and is expected to put up the same results his image is greatly reduced. He would be a great addition to the GB unit.

Sapp's reputation had already been greatly diminished before he left TB.

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
No to Sapp, and not because of his cheap shot on Clifton. He sucks now. He'll be one of those June 1 big-name cuts that gets fans excited purely because of name recognition.[

My point exactly now that he didn't duplicate defensive results with inferior teammates he is dubbed as washed up. A change of scenery is all he needs.[/quote]

BlueBrewer
05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I think he would work with QB's, the stabbing motion is close to throwing motion.

Bossman641
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM
No to Sapp, and not because of his cheap shot on Clifton. He sucks now. He'll be one of those June 1 big-name cuts that gets fans excited purely because of name recognition.[

My point exactly now that he didn't duplicate defensive results with inferior teammates he is dubbed as washed up. A change of scenery is all he needs.[/quote]

He is "dubbed" as washed up because he is washed up

swede
05-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I think he would work with QB's, the stabbing motion is close to throwing motion.

If you want to check O.J.'s website the address is "backslash backslash backslash escape"

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 03:58 PM

This was off the Bengals own website...

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5238

It talks about how Smith doesn't fit the Bengals 3-4 scheme. I couldn't find my prior post on the matter.

Saying he doesn't fit the scheme and may not be back after 2006, and saying he might get cut are two different things. I think there would be a market out there for Smith, so if nothing else, they'll trade him.

jack's smirking revenge
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Smith would be a good pickup. He's a talented player on a historically bad defense.

I've got a feeling that Roman would talk him out of coming to GB though... :D

tyler

BlueBrewer
05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Roman thinks he is a veteran leader on the team that should be involved in front office moves, that is funny.

Tarlam!
05-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Sorry, I can't be excited by this FA talk. This team is not one or two FAs away from the big prize. I know you all want to see Favre ride out in a blaze of glory, but be realistic.

If our team sucks and we are heading for another 4-12 year, take the medicine. Why try and improve to 6-10, 7-9? Or are you really suggesting our current line up is good for 10 wins, and an improvement at RB will put us over the top?

I'd rather be picking at 5 again than at 15. They guys we got this draft all have incredible upsides. For the future, more than for the present. I think we would all benefit more from another draft like this one longer into the future than picking 15-20.

Adding Woodson is also about helping our younger DB's develop with his example. If you find an FA that can help with growing our youth, fine. But just to win 2 additional games, puhleeeease.

BlueBrewer
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I am not exited yet. The prospect of adding some more depth/talent at the RB position is what I am hoping for. I did not start this thread as fact but as fuel for discussion based purely on rumors.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 07:28 AM
This was found on Kirwins blog: NFL. com.

Do you think this defense could stop NFL teams?

DT: Three-man rotation -- Dan Wilkinson, Grady Jackson, Brentson Buckner. All three played over 50 percent of the defensive snaps for their teams last year and give a defense incredible bulk inside.

DE: Brady Smith, Duane Clemons, Gary Walker. This group isn't as interesting as the tackles, but they have a lot of playing experience and could still be effective.

OLB: Tommy Polley, Peter Boulware. They can still play, especially Polley, who was in on 80 percent of the plays last season.

ILB: Jamie Sharper, Chris Claiborne, Earl Holmes, Junior Seau. Older guys, but splitting time could work.

CB: Ty Law, Ahmed Plummer, Dexter McCleon, Denard Walker.

S: Lance Schulters, Brent Alexander, Keion Carpenter. This secondary had over 20 interceptions last season.

They all need a home. Maybe they should form a club and play a few preseason scrimmages against actual NFL teams.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I think if we can trade roman and mid-low round pick for Justin smtih we should do it.

Its not like this guy is some aging vet who is in the last couple years in his career. He is still young at about 26 and has a good 4 fours left in him. If we pick him up that would move KGB to a 3rd down rusher, were he would excel. This is a move for the present as well as the future.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Dunno. End is the only position I'd be happy to get someone in on the D side of the ball. But is Justin Smith the mailing, put fear into the heart of the passer DE that we so desperately need?

KYPack
05-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Justin Smith will NOT play for the Pack this year for a number of reasons:

1. The Bengals ain't gonna cut him this year.
2. The Bengals wouldn't take Mark Roman back under any circumstances. they know all about that dude, he was a #2 pick for them and flopped there.
3. Smith will play this season for the Bengals unless one of their young guys goes absolutely crazy in camp.
4. The Bengals aren't going to a 3-4, I don't care what their web site says. They will mix in some 3-4 buck to get David Pollack more chances to make plays, espec in passing situations.