PDA

View Full Version : Double Full-back or H-back and Fullback formation

Partial
01-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Was this primarily a new formation today or am I crazy? The Packers seemed to go with either one of the tight ends in the back field as an H-back or two fullbacks a lot today. Then, they would run the zone stretches to perfection.

I have to give MM props for an excellent game plan today. Not only did he have his team looking fresh and loose, but he outcoached the Walrus.

RashanGary
01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
He sure did. That was hilarious to see the Walrus bitching at the refs. I kept saying "hahahaha, and the refs are making questionable calls. I love it, Holmgren can't handle bad officiating"

Part of the joy of that game was beating him. That's the only reason some of us kind of want Dallas. It would be that same joy to win.

CaptainKickass
01-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Was this primarily a new formation today or am I crazy? The Packers seemed to go with either one of the tight ends in the back field as an H-back or two fullbacks a lot today. Then, they would run the zone stretches to perfection.

I have to give MM props for an excellent game plan today. Not only did he have his team looking fresh and loose, but he outcoached the Walrus.

Here's a bit from MM and his press conference transcript:

"(What was that bunch formation with three backs?)
The three backs is actually two personnel groups. There's three backs, two receivers, we refer to that as falcon. Then we have three backs, a tight end and a receiver, we refer to that as rhino. "

Source: http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/01/12/3/

MM Likes the animal naming convention. The 2 TE set with both Bubba and Donald Lee is called "Leopard".

Partial
01-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Maybe I am crazy but I don't recall them using the two fullback set before. I think it really helped with the blocking to get Hall and Kuhn moving before crashing into somebody.

RashanGary
01-13-2008, 01:04 AM
It allows a guy to clean up the backside. On one of the big runs, Hall cut somebody on the backside and it broke the big one.

I think it would be a good idea to evolve into a jumbo package with Jennings alone on the outside. It will force a CB and Safety to honor the pass with our big play guy outside.

pack4to84
01-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Maybe I am crazy but I don't recall them using the two fullback set before. I think it really helped with the blocking to get Hall and Kuhn moving before crashing into somebody.They used this formation on goal line through out the season. So when we knew we had to run and Seattle knew we where going to run, MM went with his goal line packages.

oregonpackfan
01-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Maybe I am crazy but I don't recall them using the two fullback set before. I think it really helped with the blocking to get Hall and Kuhn moving before crashing into somebody.

If I remember correctly, M3 used this two fullback formation against the Vikings when the Packers blew them out 37-0.

BF4MVP
01-13-2008, 02:53 AM
They've used that formation several times this season. Wayne Larrivee has referred to it as the "inverted wishbone".

footballfever
01-13-2008, 06:53 AM
I've been hyping this formation all week with my brother. Couldn't wait to get Hall back, they run that formation to perfection. Someone said they wanted William Henderson back this week , I was too shocked by such an unintelligent analysis of our FB position I didn't reply. Glad those 2 spoke for themselves as to their value to our running game.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2008, 07:16 AM

They used that set a lot against Dallas when Grant broke that 60 yarder against them. I love it because the defense doesn't know which way your running it and it seems to provide great cut back lanes.

vince
01-13-2008, 08:50 AM

The three backs is actually two personnel groups. There's three backs, two receivers, we refer to that as falcon. Then we have three backs, a tight end and a receiver, we refer to that as rhino. "

MM Likes the animal naming convention. The 2 TE set with both Bubba and Donald Lee is called "Leopard".

I was watching the Mike McCarthy show a couple weeks back and Larry McCarren and McCarthy went through their various formations.

Here are some of them. They have a bunch of 'em.

Big 5 – Five WR
Big 4 – Four WR, 1 TE
Jumbo – 2 te 1 wr 1 fb 1 rb
Zebra – 3 wr 1 te 1 rb
Ace - 4 wr 1 rb
Rhino - 1 wr 1 te 2 fb 1 rb
Eagle - 3 wr 2 rb
Regular - 2 wr 1 te 2 rb
Falcon - 2 wr 2 fb 1 rb
Hippo - 2 te 2 fb 1 rb

McCarthy uses all of these formations and personnel combinations, along with TE and WR motion to force specific defensive alignments and create advantageous matchups in the passing game and advantageous blocking angles in the running game.

Then, when you add in the run/pass play combinations and the freedom for Favre to either hand off the ball or pass it depending on his live reads, you've got an offensive system that is very difficult to stop.

GoPackGo
01-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Big 5 – Five WR
Big 4 – Four WR, 1 TE
Jumbo – 2 te 1 wr 1 fb 1 rb
Zebra – 3 wr 1 te 1 rb
Ace - 4 wr 1 rb
Rhino - 1 wr 1 te 2 fb 1 rb
Eagle - 3 wr 2 rb
Regular - 2 wr 1 te 2 rb
Falcon - 2 wr 2 fb 1 rb
Hippo - 2 te 2 fb 1 rb

Dropping Knowledge :)

b bulldog
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Hall, Kuhn and Franks did an excellent job in regards to blocking yesterday. Actually, everyone did!

retailguy
01-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Huh.... Gee, I wonder what the WALRUS formation looks like? :twisted: :mrgreen:

BF4MVP
01-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Huh.... Gee, I wonder what the WALRUS formation looks like? :twisted: :mrgreen:
Well played :lol: