PDA

View Full Version : Bretsky's Babbles- 10 Thoughts from Playoffs at Lambeau

Bretsky
01-13-2008, 12:49 AM
1. All week we heard how Kerney dominated Washington. This week people should be discussing how Mark Tauscher is a big time player and dominated Kerney. We saw it with Peppers in the past as well as Strahan.

2. Many were not able to see how important Bubba Franks was to the running game today. He pancaked a LB on one of Grants key runs and had some wonderful down field blocks that helped spring Grant loose

3. Speaking of Grant, we got our RB of the future for a 6th round draft pick.
After his two fumbles I saw Grant head over to his OL group and slap their hands and talking to them like he wanted to fire them up. Listened to his post game interview; he let them know not to worry and that his game was going to step up the rest of the way. Very well spoken and a class act

4. Greg Jennings is a great route runner. In the short field he's the guy with by far the best ability to get open. I've fought this before, but I think it's time to annoint him as our #1 WR

5. Brett Favre is still a playmaker. He's a gunslinger and most of the time it works out for the best. He was at the top of his game. Right now two of the best 4 QB's this year are in the final four. Most likely after tomorrow the four best QB's will be left. Often the difference between the decent and great teams is the QB. More evidence is there to back that up this year. We should all be hoping to keep Favre around for more yearS

6. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support the fallacy that Green Bay plays poorly in cold weather. It's the nasty wind that can hurt passing teams. Those who tried to argue we were better off going to the Hell Dome in Dallas rather than playing in Lambeau are completely off their rockers.
We want home field advantage next week. We need home field advantage next week.

7. On the DL, a healthy Pickett makes all the difference in the world. Williams, Jenkins, and KGB all looked very good. Pickett is a Stud on the DL holding multiple blockers and still making plays. He makes those around him better.

8. Atari Bigby is very effective when he functions as the CB type safety. He loves sticking people and we have not had an intimidating hitter like that since Chuck Cecil. What a great game by Bigby. I hope GB can continue to find a way to keep utilizing his strengths. I think some of those drops may have been partially due to Bigby laying the wood on Seattle

9. I paid some special attention to Corey Williams today. Before the game he roamed the sidelines waving his towel to get the fans fired up. During the game he would often attempt that as well. Having Pickett out there allowed him to create some solid penetration against the run and the pass.
Pickett is the rock of the DL. At this point CW is a much better player than Justin Harrell. He just is able to do more things.

AFTER the game, he didn't want to leave. He had his helmet off, he shook some hands, talked to some reporters, and then walked back to the Packer bench, gazing into the crowd....taking in the atmosphere and enjoying it.......almost like to was thinking that might be his last chance to do so. I think I'll miss Corey Williams.

10. What an incredibly electric atmosphere it was today at the game. It was intense before the game; that intensity turned to shock with the 14-0 start. But after Green Bay scored their first touchdown the crowd was the loudest I've ever witnessed and had an impact on the Seattle offense. In that first drive after 14-7 Hasslebeck's players could not hear the signals. After that series Seattle made an effort to get up the the line right as to time clock started running and run the play right away......like that would work long. Seemed to throw any rhythym they were trying to establish off. When the snow started piling down it was truly the perfect day at Lambeau. 30 degrees, no wind, downfalling snow...and shirtless guys and bikini gals. What a classic scene. Most enjoyable game I attended since the Super Bowl playoffs when we won it all.

Hopefully there will be one more in Green Bay next week.

Partial
01-13-2008, 12:56 AM
wrong forum :D

Partial
01-13-2008, 01:01 AM
I agree on the Jennings thing. I thought in Pre-season he'd be #1 :D

Also on the Grant thing. That trade looks better and better each day. Grant runs really hard which is something that I like. BJack appeared to have learned this from him as well as he seemed to have his legs pumping hard today.

RashanGary
01-13-2008, 01:08 AM
The Packers have 2 legit #1 WR's. They have two legit #2's in Robinson and Jones and they have a legit #3 in Martin. Very talented group.

On a different note, I'm listening to all of the post game pressers. Nobody is satisfied. They're happy, but they're all talkign about next week and cleaning up their game. Wow!! What an impressive team.

HarveyWallbangers
01-13-2008, 01:11 AM
I won't annoit Jennings #1 until he's the guy other teams try to take away. He still gets favorable matchups because Driver gets more attention, and the coaches freely admit he gets single covered much more than Driver. Who cares about the label really. You can call them 1a and 1b if you want. They are actually quite similar in a lot of ways. On a side note: it's an interesting dynamic. Moss and Welker are 1 and 2 in NE, and they couldn't be more different types of players.

RashanGary
01-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Tramon Williams played a good game as well.

The Leaper
01-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Methinks Donald Driver is going to be a factor next week.

Just a hunch.

Partial
01-13-2008, 01:14 AM
I won't annoit Jennings #1 until he's the guy other teams try to take away. He still gets favorable matchups because Driver gets more attention, and the coaches freely admit he gets single covered much more than Driver. Who cares about the label really. You can call them 1a and 1b if you want. They are actually quite similar in a lot of ways. On a side note: it's an interesting dynamic. Moss and Welker are 1 and 2 in NE, and they couldn't be more different types of players.

Agreed. Regarldess, I am just happy to have two solid guys. Both are so skilled after the catch as well. Gotta love the Driver shimmy.

pack4to84
01-13-2008, 01:17 AM
D line played great held Seattle to 1.6 yds carry on 18 attempts. You have to say :wow:

Pickett was tied with the lead in tackles for the Packers :D

Fosco33
01-13-2008, 01:24 AM
1. All week we heard how Kerney dominated Washington. This week people should be discussing how Mark Tauscher is a big time player and dominated Kerney. We saw it with Peppers in the past as well as Strahan.

I'm sure you know this, B. But I always thought Mark had a funny story/background - and I hope when the Packers make the Super Bowl that someone does their homework.

He made the UW football team as a walk-on in '95 but never played. Got a letter in '98 and was basically done because he graduated in '99. He had to remind the coaching staff that he had another year of eligibility and ending up playing one good year of college football (in '99 blocking for Ron Dayne) as a grad student.

My roommate was an Olineman w/ Mark during this time - met him and Gibson at a party once. Both were just standup guys.

Think about this....

If he hadn't told the coaches about his eligibility, he would've have come back. If Dayne wasn't a rockstar college athlete, no one would've looked at him in the draft... for once, the Packers saw some local talent and gave him a shot. Then Earl Dotson goes down and as they say, 'the rest is history.'

Partial
01-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Tauscher is such a stud. He and Cliffy combine to form a very solid tandem of tackles.

Patler
01-13-2008, 01:38 AM
He made the UW football team as a walk-on in '95 but never played. Got a letter in '98 and was basically done because he graduated in '99. He had to remind the coaching staff that he had another year of eligibility and ending up playing one good year of college football (in '99 blocking for Ron Dayne) as a grad student.

You might be right with your connection to it, but I heard the story somewhat differently all the way back in his rookie season. I heard that Tauscher had applied to grad school somewhere else, and the UW eligibility guru advised the coaches that Tauscher still had another year. The story was that they had to convince him to stay, as his career had been virtually nonexistent and he was ready to go on with his life away from football. They convinced him that he would be the starter if he returned.

Fosco33
01-13-2008, 01:52 AM

You might be right with your connection to it, but I heard the story somewhat differently all the way back in his rookie season. I heard that Tauscher had applied to grad school somewhere else, and the UW eligibility guru advised the coaches that Tauscher still had another year. The story was that they had to convince him to stay, as his career had been virtually nonexistent and he was ready to go on with his life away from football. They convinced him that he would be the starter if he returned.

I remember this quote and forgot some of the details so I did some digging.

Alvarez said, "Quite frankly, I didn't realize he had a fifth year."

After graduation, he was planning on heading to Youngstown State to continue his education (and play football). That is when UW looked into his background and realized he had another year.... and, you're right, they did have to convince him to return to UW.

Either way, Mark knew he had a year left and until he was about to leave - UW didn't. Still remarkable - from walk-on to Packer starter (and star).

http://books.google.com/books?id=XUYRTCt1WJ4C&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=mark+tauscher+graduate+school+application&source=web&ots=kNl_k-WV92&sig=WRHAt6-eBzId-9Wo5oayr-wCbco

oregonpackfan
01-13-2008, 02:39 AM
One observation I had of our offense was their ability to execute consistent drives. At one point they scored six touchdowns on six consecutive possessions!

They were also incredible with their third down conversions to get the first down. For the game they were 7 of 10 on third down conversions.

On the offensive side, there were very few penalties.

It was just a solid performance by a young team guided by a select group of seasoned veterans.

GBRulz
01-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Loudest game I've ever been to at Lambeau! Also will go down as one of the top three games. Everyone was just partying it up. Although the Sea Chicken fans sitting behind us bailed out after the last TD.

We partied last night until about 11 pm. To say that i have a half dozen hungover people at my house this morning would be very accurate!

I forgot how much fun winning a playoff game at Lambeau is! The snow just added to it all.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
B, you hit the nail on the head with Pickett. That guys needs to be extended ASAP. He is a force in the middle of the line and he has been one of the most underrated pick ups of TT.

Glad you enjoyed the game. What a great game it was. :D

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Also, I have been hard on Bigby, but after yesterday he deserves lots of credit. If he can play like that every week, he can turn into something special.

One of my favorite plays of the game (if anyone else noticed) was when the Seattle WR caught the ball and two or three packers are waiting for him to come to them and then Bigby comes out of no were to fly in and make the hit. I love his toughness and aggressiveness. He seemed to rub off on Al Harris and Charles Woodson as well.

Fritz
01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Good observations, Bretsky.

A lot of posters, myself included, wrote about the offensive line really being key to this game. And I think that was the case. Grant had - for what seems to me the first time this season - actual lanes to run in.

My buddy and I, watching the game, also commented upon Bubba Franks's blocking. He was key. I wonder if his presence had more to do with Grant's 200 yard game than we might realize.

Not to jinx things, but this sure does remind me of '96, when the Pack found their running game the last two or three games of the year, and suddenly became this "we're gonna run on you, dammit" kind of team.

b bulldog
01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Bigby did play well but Collins position needs to be upgraded in the offseason. I doubt that he will ever really "get it". I would love to see Rouse get some play there.

mmmdk
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Methinks Donald Driver is going to be a factor next week.

Just a hunch.

I think DD was yesterday - Driver made some tough catches in our comeback drives.

denverYooper
01-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Amen to that.

All week, one of the "hype" pictures for the game was a picture of Kerney looking really mean, hungry, generally badass. Yesterday, I saw at least 3 shots of him from the bench, in the snow, looking up at the scoreboard like he wanted to go home.

I guess we know who won that matchup...

It'd be a telling juxtaposition of imagery to show those before-and-after pictures, but I can't find the latter anywhere... yet.

b bulldog
01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
B babbles......nothing new here :lol: He babbles more than anyone in here :wink:

The Shadow
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM

2. Many were not able to see how important Bubba Franks was to the running game today. He pancaked a LB on one of Grants key runs and had some wonderful down field blocks that helped spring Grant loose

3. Speaking of Grant, we got our RB of the future for a 6th round draft pick.
After his two fumbles I saw Grant head over to his OL group and slap their hands and talking to them like he wanted to fire them up. Listened to his post game interview; he let them know not to worry and that his game was going to step up the rest of the way. Very well spoken and a class act

4. Greg Jennings is a great route runner. In the short field he's the guy with by far the best ability to get open. I've fought this before, but I think it's time to annoint him as our #1 WR

5. Brett Favre is still a playmaker. He's a gunslinger and most of the time it works out for the best. He was at the top of his game. Right now two of the best 4 QB's this year are in the final four. Most likely after tomorrow the four best QB's will be left. Often the difference between the decent and great teams is the QB. More evidence is there to back that up this year. We should all be hoping to keep Favre around for more yearS

6. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support the fallacy that Green Bay plays poorly in cold weather. It's the nasty wind that can hurt passing teams. Those who tried to argue we were better off going to the Hell Dome in Dallas rather than playing in Lambeau are completely off their rockers.
We want home field advantage next week. We need home field advantage next week.

7. On the DL, a healthy Pickett makes all the difference in the world. Williams, Jenkins, and KGB all looked very good. Pickett is a Stud on the DL holding multiple blockers and still making plays. He makes those around him better.

8. Atari Bigby is very effective when he functions as the CB type safety. He loves sticking people and we have not had an intimidating hitter like that since Chuck Cecil. What a great game by Bigby. I hope GB can continue to find a way to keep utilizing his strengths. I think some of those drops may have been partially due to Bigby laying the wood on Seattle

9. I paid some special attention to Corey Williams today. Before the game he roamed the sidelines waving his towel to get the fans fired up. During the game he would often attempt that as well. Having Pickett out there allowed him to create some solid penetration against the run and the pass.
Pickett is the rock of the DL. At this point CW is a much better player than Justin Harrell. He just is able to do more things.

AFTER the game, he didn't want to leave. He had his helmet off, he shook some hands, talked to some reporters, and then walked back to the Packer bench, gazing into the crowd....taking in the atmosphere and enjoying it.......almost like to was thinking that might be his last chance to do so. I think I'll miss Corey Williams.

10. What an incredibly electric atmosphere it was today at the game. It was intense before the game; that intensity turned to shock with the 14-0 start. But after Green Bay scored their first touchdown the crowd was the loudest I've ever witnessed and had an impact on the Seattle offense. In that first drive after 14-7 Hasslebeck's players could not hear the signals. After that series Seattle made an effort to get up the the line right as to time clock started running and run the play right away......like that would work long. Seemed to throw any rhythym they were trying to establish off. When the snow started piling down it was truly the perfect day at Lambeau. 30 degrees, no wind, downfalling snow...and shirtless guys and bikini gals. What a classic scene. Most enjoyable game I attended since the Super Bowl playoffs when we won it all.

Hopefully there will be one more in Green Bay next week.
.................................................. .......................................

Bretsky :
Very nicely expressed.
Good stuff.

mmmdk
01-13-2008, 11:22 AM
*own censorship* New message: Wuhuu we won!

pbmax
01-13-2008, 12:35 PM
List looks good Bretsky. Only quibble is with labeling Bigby a safety with CB skills. He does well when he can close and hit someone. But in coverage he still looks lost.

I agree that if Collins or Rouse can give them coverage, they can still use that skillset, even if Bigby only approaches mediocre in coverage.

Deputy Nutz
01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Bigby did play well but Collins position needs to be upgraded in the offseason. I doubt that he will ever really "get it". I would love to see Rouse get some play there.

How many open field tackles can this guy miss? I saw three plays where he was trying to go for the knockout blow with his head down and he completely wiffed.

I hope to heck the Packers let him walk or resign him as a backup in 2009.

Deputy Nutz
01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
B, you hit the nail on the head with Pickett. That guys needs to be extended ASAP. He is a force in the middle of the line and he has been one of the most underrated pick ups of TT.

Glad you enjoyed the game. What a great game it was. :D

He is only in the second year of his contract.

Scott Campbell
01-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Loudest game I've ever been to at Lambeau! Also will go down as one of the top three games. Everyone was just partying it up. Although the Sea Chicken fans sitting behind us bailed out after the last TD.

We partied last night until about 11 pm. To say that i have a half dozen hungover people at my house this morning would be very accurate!

I forgot how much fun winning a playoff game at Lambeau is! The snow just added to it all.

Awesome. There are a couple of times a year I wished I lived in Green Bay, and you just triggered one of those occasions.

Scott Campbell
01-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Amen to that.

All week, one of the "hype" pictures for the game was a picture of Kerney looking really mean, hungry, generally badass. Yesterday, I saw at least 3 shots of him from the bench, in the snow, looking up at the scoreboard like he wanted to go home.

I guess we know who won that matchup...

It'd be a telling juxtaposition of imagery to show those before-and-after pictures, but I can't find the latter anywhere... yet.

Kearney beat down a rookie last week. Tausher is no rookie.

channtheman
01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Also, I have been hard on Bigby, but after yesterday he deserves lots of credit. If he can play like that every week, he can turn into something special.

One of my favorite plays of the game (if anyone else noticed) was when the Seattle WR caught the ball and two or three packers are waiting for him to come to them and then Bigby comes out of no were to fly in and make the hit. I love his toughness and aggressiveness. He seemed to rub off on Al Harris and Charles Woodson as well.

I'm pretty sure I know which play you're talking about and I have to agree that it was awesome! Too many players always wait for the contact but it seems as if Bigby welcomes it. Awesome play it was!

woodbuck27
01-13-2008, 02:20 PM

WOW you were there. That's awesome GBRulz.

It came across the tube as a very into it loud crowd. The whole Lambeau atmosphere came across better than I can re-call. Your so fortunate to have experienced that wonderful comeback and total team performance.

Something real to really build off M. I'm feelin, some good things.

Bring on the Dallas Cowboys or NY Giants because if we play that inspired next week we will be difficult to defeat.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Partial
01-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Sounds like a great time. Very similiar to the PR game in the hangover department :lol:

Partial
01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Woodbuck you completely changed your mind in 8 minutes.

MJZiggy
01-13-2008, 03:07 PM
B, if you're gonna babble anyway...

woodbuck27
01-13-2008, 03:08 PM
As usual:

Not much here I don't agree with. I do reserve the right to claim Donald driver as our #1 WR though B. The man flat out does it all and gets intense coverage.

That sets up Favre to Jennings. Donald Driver the unselfish Packer. An ALL TIME PACKER GREAT!!

Bretsky
01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I use to believe DD was the oppositions focus all the time and took the double teams. I'm seeing less and less of the double coverages starting later this season.

BallHawk
01-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I use to believe DD was the oppositions focus all the time and took the double teams. I'm seeing less and less of the double coverages starting later this season.

That may be true, but with the current setup Driver had 1,000 yards and Jennings had 10+ TDs. Why change what's working?