PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy on VERGE of signing contract extension!

gbpackfan
01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Glazer, FOX Sports, just reported on the pre-game show that MM is very close to signing an extension. It should be signed by mid-week according to Glazer. MM will join the FOX crew at halftime of the Cowboys-Giants game.

This is great news. MM deserves it.

GBRulz
01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, they were talking locally about his extension and how it should be wrapped up before the playoffs are over.

He certainly deserves it, no doubt !!

MJZiggy
01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Don't they realize he's just too busy this week to worry about signing his name to anything? Just kidding, this is fantastic news! Then again look what happened last time TT signed his coach to an extension! :shock: :wink:

mission
01-13-2008, 03:37 PM
if you're going to reward a guy with a contract extension, you might as well do it when you can get something more out of it. a little nice pat on the back at this stretch of the season where MM will probably have to develop a coke habit makes those long nights a little more easy to deal with. another example of a TT (he does this right?) smart move.

ive questioned the guy at times this year but overall cant get over how well he's instilled his mentality with the team and how much they personify that attitude. that's true leadership and this could be our guy for quite some time.

im excited :D

Willard
01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I was stunned when MM was hired, considering his previous gig the season before. He was not even in my top3 candidates. But almost immediately you could tell he had the right attitude. What a wonderful surprise this hiring has turned into. Lock him up. Nice job, TT!

BallHawk
01-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I was stunned when MM was hired, considering his previous gig the season before.

I don't think anybody saw it coming. To say that there was outrage after hiring the OC from San Francisco would be an understatement. It was complete and utter chaos from some people.

FritzDontBlitz
01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I was stunned when MM was hired, considering his previous gig the season before.

I don't think anybody saw it coming. To say that there was outrage after hiring the OC from San Francisco would be an understatement. It was complete and utter chaos from some people.

I can't say that I saw this coming, but I was a lot more optimistic than most because before he went to Sanfran M3 was offensive coordinator for the Saints back when Aaron Brooks was the hottest QB in the NFL. M3 helped them set all kinds of offensive records there, so I was hopeful he'd pull it off here with a much better QB.

Packgator
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Glazer, FOX Sports, just reported on the pre-game show that MM is very close to signing an extension. It should be signed by mid-week according to Glazer. MM will join the FOX crew at halftime of the Cowboys-Giants game.

He has earned it! Great news indeed.......but I don't think there was any doubt about it.

Maxie the Taxi
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM

He has earned it! Great news indeed.......but I don't think there was any doubt about it.

Ditto, Vince McCarthy did earn it.

vince
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
A poster on JSO echoed an unsubstantiated rumor that the deal is for $20 million for 6 years.

If true, that seems like a very good deal for the team. I'm surprised he's not getting more in the neighborhood of $4-5 mil./yr.

esoxx
01-13-2008, 09:36 PM

M3 was in my top three coaching candidates. Don't make me dig up the thread from JSO but it's out there.

ND72
01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
So the fact that Jay Glazer "broke" this news...I found funny the way FOX put it, because Press-Gazette wrote back in November that Thompson had talked to McCarthy about an extension but McCarthy said he wanted to wait until after the season was over to take care of this.

Nothin big, I just tend to not like Jay Glazer, he takes news from other people and makes it his "breaking news".

Bretsky
01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
So the fact that Jay Glazer "broke" this news...I found funny the way FOX put it, because Press-Gazette wrote back in November that Thompson had talked to McCarthy about an extension but McCarthy said he wanted to wait until after the season was over to take care of this.

Nothin big, I just tend to not like Jay Glazer, he takes news from other people and makes it his "breaking news".

On the way up to the game Saturday pre-game reported MM and TT were in discussions and there was a good chance something was already finalized. They noted both did not want the talk to get in the way of playoffs.

4and12to12and4
01-13-2008, 11:37 PM
This is great news. So many teams lose their head coach when they reach a certain point of success and have to start over. I'm glad that people who win in GB want to stay here because of the great tradition! I had a good feeling about him even after the first preseason and camps. He handles brett and the rest of the team with so much confidence. When he speaks he just sends such a strong positive vibe. I think the players love him, he is a great leader. He has single handedly made Brett even better than Holmgren ever could. His coaching style is perfect for Brett. I hope he signs for 5 years.

VegasPackFan
01-13-2008, 11:41 PM
It would be wise to tie him up a few weeks before he becomes a Super Bowl winning coach!!! :)

4and12to12and4
01-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I hope Favre decides to come back very soon. Especially before FA starts. We are in a great position to snag any FA we want. Many will want to come to Green Bay if Favre comes back for next year.

VegasPackFan
01-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, and typically when you have a good, contending team, FA's who are looking for the ring will sign with you for less. You can get a few guys that arent in it for the money.

Scott Campbell
01-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Right about now I'd like another 5 years or so of the Ted and Mike show.

MadtownPacker
01-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I was onboard with M3 from the gate (I might have even coined the "M3" name with my "Feel the power" sig) but he is gonna make it really $$$ to get tickets next season. Kinda pissing me off.

motife
01-14-2008, 04:36 AM
They shouldn't be so hasty. Brad Childress may be available.

pack4to84
01-14-2008, 06:11 AM
They shouldn't be so hasty. Brad Childress may be available.Thank God Purple People wouldn't let him leave Min. when we where looking for a coach back then.

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
They shouldn't be so hasty. Brad Childress may be available.Thank God Purple People wouldn't let him leave Min. when we where looking for a coach back then.

I gotta think that once he met with him in person, TT would still have made the same call, but of course there's no way to know for certain. I just think TT would have known when he had the right fit, and obviously he now has it.

LL2
01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I hope they annouce it this week so it will not be an issue anymore and reporters can't keep asking about it. He deserves it. He's the winningest Packer's coach since Lombardi. Replace Holmgren Way with McCarthy Way!

Ballboy
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Time frame of this is really crappy....why have to answer questions about this(ie Press Conf from 1/13) rather than the game itself.

Who-ever in the Packer organization is doing this should be fired.......I agree he deserves the $$, but just not at this point in the season.

The Leaper
01-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Who-ever in the Packer organization is doing this should be fired.......I agree he deserves the $$, but just not at this point in the season.

I agree, although I'm fairly certain that Green Bay wasn't looking for this to be out publically. Getting a deal hammered out behind closed doors with agents is one thing. Blabbing about it is quite another.

McCarthy isn't going anywhere. He's a coach that doesn't seek the limelight, and Green Bay is a perfect fit for him.

No point in even bringing this up on the public record until AFTER the season is finished.

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
I didn't know this. He has been there before!!

From Mike McCarthy's Jan. 4 press conference:

"I told them the story about my first year in the National Football League as a rookie assistant coach. We played in the AFC Championship Game and went to the Pro Bowl. I thought this is great stuff. Pro football is awesome. I haven't been back since."

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
While I'm at it, on Matt Hasselbeck:

What, the story in Minnesota? I think it was a Monday night game, and there was a fake field goal and if I recall, he threw the touchdown to Jeff Thomason. Do you remember the play? Matt went in to celebrate and he jumped up and missed the pile and landed on his face. So, I'm sure you could dig it (the footage) up. It was pretty comical.

TheRaven
01-15-2008, 07:52 AM
It is interesting timing - if a player was working on an ext right now, he would be blasted by all for worrying about it during the playoffs.

However, it is a bit different for coaches - there really aren't many restrictions on grabbing someone else's coach, so you gotta lock them up when you can.

I also don't mind if this becomes a topic rather than the game - from that aspect, it could benefit the team and take pressure off them and put it on the coach. What coach wouldn't love to be able to do that before a NFC Championship game?

I certainly don't think TT, or anyone, should be 'fired' for doing this as someone previously stated. All the good this organization has done from top to bottom and you want to fire someone for signing our wildly successful young coach to a long term deal?