PDA

View Full Version : NY Post on Siragusa at Lambeau

CaliforniaCheez
01-14-2008, 04:13 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142008/sports/fans_goosed_by_fox_140241.htm

Excerpt:
Speaking of snow jobs in Green Bay, the incessant interruptions-by-design from FOX's Tony Siragusa would have been worth something had he said something worthy of the interruptions. If FOX is going to sustain his intrusions for a third NFL season, why not attach some value to them?

Saturday, when Matt Hasselbeck threw away a pass before he was nailed by a head-on pass rush - a speaks-for-itself play - Siragusa jumped in with, "He doesn't like when they come right up in his face." Really? Who does?

And with the crowd growing louder, Siragusa followed with, "The electricity is back here at Lambeau!" That made Goose the last to know.

I wasn't offended. I think Tony was enjoying himself at a fun game. There are many more offensive sideline reporters. He did not detract but made the broadcast connect with the excitement in the stands.

SkinBasket
01-14-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree. He's better than the usual douche bag on the sideline acting like they're at the last place in the world they want to be telling us stuff we already know, or in most cases, don't know. How many times have we heard such brilliant sideline reports as, "The injury appears to be to his knee, although we still don't know the severity of it. His return is questionable."

swede
01-14-2008, 07:26 AM
I like having him there jumping in the snow plow and goofing around.

He can be entertaining at times.

The only things I've been annoyed by are his nugget alerts. Sometimes I want to hear the nuggets and then get back to watching the game.

The Leaper
01-14-2008, 08:14 AM
He occasionally throws in some very good analysis from his sideline vantage point...but normally he doesn't offer much. They should really utilize him to talk with the players and coaches during the game...that would be more beneficial.

Badgerinmaine
01-14-2008, 08:49 AM
He occasionally throws in some very good analysis from his sideline vantage point...but normally he doesn't offer much. They should really utilize him to talk with the players and coaches during the game...that would be more beneficial.

I respectfully disagree. I can't stand sideline reporters doing that. Let the players play and the coaches coach. Fox drives me crazy when they interview baseball managers during the game that way.

gbgary
01-14-2008, 09:13 AM

I respectfully disagree. I can't stand sideline reporters doing that. Let the players play and the coaches coach. Fox drives me crazy when they interview baseball managers during the game that way.

i agree. keep him doing what he's doing. he's pretty funny.

Carolina_Packer
01-14-2008, 09:20 AM

i agree. keep him doing what he's doing. he's pretty funny.

BadgerinMaine and GBGary, couldn't agree more. I can't stand the dugout reports. You can tell the managers don't really like them, but tolerate them under MLB's media deal. "I'm trying to work here!" comes to mind. I know sports are a fans game, and I understand the idea of picking the manager or coaches brain during a game, but they never say much and they are clearly in coaching mode and not wanting to analyze what's going on. Those little interviews they do with NFL and college head coaches when they are running to the locker room are frivolous too.

The one thing I will say is whenever they show Suzy Kolber on the sidelines smiling, it makes me happy.

The Leaper
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM

Maybe...but baseball and football are totally different sports.

Football is far more emotional and momentum based...and having Sirgusa there to talk to Favre while he is throwing snowballs at Driver on the sidelines would be pure gold. Talking to Edgar Bennett after Grant fumbles twice, then comes back to score a TD would be pure gold.

cheesner
01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
I like Tony - he adds more than most sideline reporters. Excellent producing is where they show Tony speaking and then the camera focus changes and you can see the players lining up in the same shot. Gives a great feel for Tony being 'into' the game.

KYPack
01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Goose nailed it on one comment.

At one point, it started snowing like hell. They went to Goose who commented that it was snowing so hard, it would be very hard to complete a pass over 20 yards. A few plays later, Pollard dopped an easy pass that should have been a touch. I thought that was a neat little bit. ( I don't know if it was a "nugget" or not)

I don't like many of the sideline personalities, but Goose is OK by me.

OkayKyle
01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Are you guys kidding? I want to scream every time we have Siragusa for our games. All he does is yell and interject with completely worthless comments. Then he takes someone's hat from the crowd and stares at the camera. If you actually listen to what he says during the game, it is unbelievable that he still has a job. I've been saying this for years about him, and this is the first time I have seen any article or publication saying the same thing.

At least we don't have to listen to Bill Maas anymore...

Zool
01-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Is he worse than "Moose"?

At one point during the game Saturday, Alexander was 6 carries for 6 yards. He gained 6 on his next carry. I quote the great Moose Johnston "Alexander is really running the ball well today".

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
They could have Theisman doing it instead...

Zool
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM

Thats not even funny.

hurleyfan
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Please, anyone but Theisman :evil:

oregonpackfan
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Please, anyone but Theisman :evil:

What is Joe Theisman doing these days?

MJZiggy
01-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Hopefully announcing high school games in Idaho.

Badgerinmaine
01-14-2008, 11:25 AM
The one thing I will say is whenever they show Suzy Kolber on the sidelines smiling, it makes me happy.

Me, too...but try not to get TOO excited...http://www.suzykolber.net/suzy_kolber_videos/suzy_kolber_joe_namath_vid.jpg

I'd also much rather look at Pam Oliver than Tony Siragusa 8-)

Merlin
01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I like the Goose. He reminds me of Frank Winters and John Jurkavich (sp?). That accent and stupid commentary keep the game fun when the announcers are acting like morons. FOX announcers are on whatever bandwagon for the team that is winning. It gets old in a blowout like Saturday. It gets really irritating in a close game.

The Nugget Alerts are just stupid. But at least the announcers are better then Bryant Gumble and the whole "Football Night in America" staff.

packinpatland
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll take him on the sidelines vs Aikman upstairs anyday.

Little Whiskey
01-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I wished they would have shown him trying to squeeze in the Snowbrush-mobile. i'm shocked he didn't have to ride with one cheek hanging out.

cpk1994
01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I'll take him on the sidelines vs Aikman upstairs anyday.I agree. There was nothing worsae than Aikman crying about how it wasn't intentionjal grounding on Romo by saying he wasn't threatened. There isn't a worse Cowboy homer than Aikman.